Never run before........ till now! (Read 709 times)

Romy

Here I am, a smoker for over 25 years, kids out of the house, a new husband,  and a keen motor cyclist!  I thought life was great, then I saw a friend run a 50k trail run and survive.  Her transformation has been incredible!  

So I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago, did my first run yesterday after 3 weeks of power walking, ran a little further tonight and the future looks bright!  If all I've got, it's determination, I will run that trail next year.  

This forum is wonderful, Thanks!

thats awesome! welcome to the club!

Mr Play

Congratulations and welcome aboard, from one newbie to another.

Romy

Thanks!  I think I look like a prehistoric dinosaur lumbering along the pathways at the moment, probably scaring the neighbourhood kids ,  Oh well, give me time and I'll resemble the nimble running folk I've been watching the past few weeks....Smile

Romy -- conratulations on your lifes transformation.     We're glad to have you........   

As far as running is concerned, the only top notched equipment you need is a good pair of running shoes so if you havent gone to a running store and been properly fitted, then do yourself a favor and go (hopefully today).......as far as shorts, t-shirts and all that other stuff...you probably have adequate stuff laying around the house...............few non-runners have GOOD running shoes laying around......so make the investment....

your key to success is to run slowly and dont try to go too far too soon....running is a long term strengthening process so cut yourself some slack and take your time.    If you do too much you'll likely end up hurt or burned out or both.......

Also --giving up smoking, starting running, starting a diet and on and on are all pretty hard things to do, so if you fall off the wagon for a day, dont beat yourself up -- just get back on again and keep moving forward....

NEVER EVER COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER RUNNERS......only compare your progress to were you are, and were you were and take pride in your running accomplishments.......the minute you start comparing yourself to other runners you start making mistakes...........

Finally --- Running Ahead is FULL of great information, so post often and ask lots of questions in this forum....you'll get good answer from experienced runners that truly care about your running future......

Happy Running....

Oh Yeah ----- dont talk about running "too much" to non-runners, they won't understand and will probably think you have finally gone crazy (which is probably true, but dont let non-runners KNOW you are finally crazy and joined the rest of us)....

Champions are made when no one is watching

tomatolover

Romy:

Congrats on quitting smoking & taking up running!!! i did the same thing about 6 years ago (after attempting to quit multiple times prior) and found that it was only with the infusion of running i could finally  kick the habit AND THE CRAVINGS....take it slow and easy, build gradually, and keep at it!  life is better AND less stinky.

obiebyke

Wow, Romy--awesome! I think John-A said it all. Just wanted to add my welcome.

Enjoy the extra money from not smoking! As a former smoker myself, it gets amazing how much we used to pay a tobacco company to kill us.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Romy

Thanks everyone, I'm heading out to have shoes fitted today.  It's almost exciting!  

redleaf

Just another welcome. Smile 

Congrats from another former-smoker. Just over 8 years now since my last Smile It's hard, you may slip, but then just start again. 

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cntrygal

WOOOHOOO!!!  Congratulations and welcome!!

John pretty much says it all!  Great advice.  I couldn't believe what a difference the right pair of running shoes made. 

The King of Beasts

welcome and keep it up !!

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks everyone, I'm heading out to have shoes fitted today.  It's almost exciting!  

It is exciting!  I remember it like it was less than three years ago! Smile  I'm a new person now.

Tiefsa

Welcome.  Keep on progressing slowly.  The key is consistency.

Make this your new good habit to help you kick your old bad habit.

Loves the outdoors

Welcome! Watch out - running is addictive! You won't know yourself in a few months. What seems impossible today will soon become easy. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.