No lactate build up ever, weird inconsistent PBs, muscle type? Help please (Read 570 times)

machinebaard

You might get bored reading this, so beware Cool English is not my native language, sorry. --- I have been wondering about this lately. Brief history: running since 1.5-2 years, recently upped mileage quite a bit (from 20MPW to 40-50 MPW with a highest of 60MPW), almost 19 years old, most of my miles i ran too hard. Typical training heart rate easy runs: 170-180, recovery around 160, tempo 180-190, intervals (which i did way too much) 190-205, max hr recorded 211 PRs: (yes im slow haha) 60 - 9.00 400 - 1:12 800 - 2:44 1000 - 3:31 3000 - 12:10 5000 - 23:10 10000 - 52:17 There are some weird things. 1 - It doesn't matter how hard i run.. i never feel ' the burn'. No lactic acid buildup, it seems. You might say ' why even bother, be happy' but i just find it weird. It doesnt matter what race distance, no burn. I wonder if this indicates i am a slow twitcher? Because perhaps in muscles that are more slow-twitch lactate buildup is less? 2 - There is something weird with the PRs. I really ran them at my best effort, and considering these times you would say i am a fast-twitcher or so? Because these times doesnt translate into eachother. Aerobic deficiency or so. But the weird part is, recently i ran 22 miles averaging 9.00-9.15 miles. While my longest run before was just 10 miles, ever. I just had to try it (foolishly perhaps), but it did work out, in fact, it was a real joy. I was fast. I never got tired. There was no rise in heart rate. I didnt get slower. In fact, i got faster. Almost up to 10k pace at the end. I don't understand it Surprised This long run was quite a bit under what i think is marathon heart rate. In this run i averaged about 168. I suppose i could finish a marathon at a faster pace with a heart rate between 170-180. That is the wierd thing, there is such a downhill trend in these PBs and then i could run a marathon just a bit above 10k pace Lately i did run some half marathons at an easy pace and heck, it runs really well. It just doesnt makes sense, no lactic acid (not feelable, but it is there of course), worsening times with longer races. Bad in sprint, relatively good in short/mid distance, then 5-10 k is just stupid, and long is going well Does this mean i am slow-twitch? fast-twitch? Also, what is optimal training in this situation? Any input is appreciated Smile Thanks! oh ps forgot to mention heart rate during races (average) 3000m 200 = 95% mhr 5000m 198 = 94% mhr 10000m 196 = 93% mhr
    JimR

I don't think Bekele would call himself a 'fast twitcher', yet he can bang out a 400 in the 50's with ease. Lactic acid build up won't make you feel a 'burn', it will however make you suck in air like an industrial vacuum cleaner. If you weren't battling LA buildup, you would have been well below your 23 minute 5k time. Anyway, don't get too caught up in the HR numbers and all that. Ease back a bit on your easy runs, keep good strong efforts on your fast days and keep doing what you're doing. Your times will pound all of mine to smithereens in a short while.

A Saucy Wench

Lots of newer runners experience something similar. For years my 5K and 10K times were way slow on the "projected race time charts" compared to my HM. Virtually the same pace for 10K and HM and long TR. I would very very quickly slow to a pace that I then could hold forever. Run slower in training most days. This will eventually help you race faster. Consistency is king

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7