Suggestions for a winter road shoe (Read 673 times)

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I am running in Asics 2140's which I love. I was fitted for them by an experienced runner. Admittedly I really haven't tried anything else since I started this year. Today I felt a unsafe in some slick spots on the road.  Tonight I stopped by a store and tried on some trail shoes. The Asics GT-2150 Trail and Kahana felt familiar.  The Nikes were peculiar to my gait. Adidas Kanadia and TR-2 felt natural but seems like the cushioning and support were lacking.

I'd like to hear some real world comparisons. I won't get a chance to check back in again until tomorrow-hopefully.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Prince of Fatness

If you're talking black ice I'm not so sure that trail shoes will be of much help.  Do a forum search on screw shoes or yak-trax (spelling?).  You should get some info there.

I've used the screws and they do help with the black ice.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

I have found the trail versions of running shoes to be worse than the standard road version on ice, packed snow and other real slick surfaces.  The softer soles of the road versions does a better job of conforming shape than the harder and stiffer trail version.

That has been my experience, so only a sample of one.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

what are lions?

i like salomons...most from their line are gore-tex which is nice for slush. but they are noticeably heavier than regular trainers. i agree that even trail shoes don't help much on sheets of ice.

I look my best blurry!

I am running in Asics 2140's which I love. I was fitted for them by an experienced runner. Admittedly I really haven't tried anything else since I started this year. Today I felt a unsafe in some slick spots on the road.  Tonight I stopped by a store and tried on some trail shoes. The Asics GT-2150 Trail and Kahana felt familiar.  The Nikes were peculiar to my gait. Adidas Kanadia and TR-2 felt natural but seems like the cushioning and support were lacking.

I'd like to hear some real world comparisons. I won't get a chance to check back in again until tomorrow-hopefully.

Let's try the screws babe.  Why am I in your profile pic, farmer?  

I use Northface GTX Ultra 103's.  They are definitely heavier and stiffer, but if you want water proof and decent traction in mud and slush I think trail shoes are the way to go.  I've done up to 20 miles at a time in these, but I've only put 200 miles on them in a year.  You really need to decide if you are going to run in them every day, or just when conditions are bad, and pick a shoe that works for you.  If you plan to run in the same shoes everyday during the winter, I would not personally recommend trail shoes.

Imminent Catastrophe

i like salomons...most from their line are gore-tex which is nice for slush. but they are noticeably heavier than regular trainers. i agree that even trail shoes don't help much on sheets of ice.

+1. I was wearing The North Face trail shoes with an aggressive tread on compacted snow/ice and almost fell a bunch of times--and I was walking!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I just picked up a pair of the Saucony ProGrid Razors and I really like them. They have good traction, are very warm and are waterproof with a neoprene gator built into them. I also have a thread in the gear section on RA about them.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Thanks for the input. I went with the Kahana 3 as I was too tight with time to look for other shoes. I got a 1/2 size smaller than usual as the store did not have 9's. A run felt good this afternoon but it was just dry asphalt.

I am in that geeky honeymoon phase of running so I expect that I will look around for screw shoes, Solomons, Yak Trax and the cool looking Razors and the Northface GTX's. 

A Frigid 5M awaits Jan 10. 

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete