5K race report (Read 553 times)

Never done one of these, (race reports, that is), so I figured I'd write down my observations. Smile Today I ran the Johns Hopkins Blue Jay 5K to benefit Juvenile Diabetes research. It was located about a 5 min walk from my apartment, so I sorta had to do this race...Tongue Anyway, I warmed up for about 1.5 miles, and got a bad side stitch, so I was really worried that I would be in agony for most of the race (running aside lol), but thankfully, that didn't happen. Really the only people who were running this race were fraternities and sororities and the athletic teams (track, XC and lacrosse). So there were a bunch of slow-ish people, and then really fast people. Mile 1 - Mostly downhill, was really afraid of getting a side cramp, which usually happens on downhills for me, so I didn't start out super fast. Felt good through the first mile. Passed up a lot of sorority girls which was fun. Settled into a group of about 6 people who I stayed with the whole way. 7:50 pace. Mile 2 - Mostly flat, started getting super thirsty, but didn't stop for water (maybe bad idea?) 8:29 pace. Mile 3 - Long uphill. Holy shit I'm dying. Good thing I train on pretty hilly terrain, because a lot of people slowed here, and I was able to pass up a few more people, but the hills were getting to me as well. Kept going by laughing at this silly XC kid who kept flashing every girl he passed as he loped along. Kind of annoying, but funny. 8:37 pace. Overall, 24:55, 8:03 pace, and a 2:57 PR. However, I think the course was not quite 3.1 miles. Also, we ran a small part of it on the grass, which slowed me down a bit too, because it was still soggy from the rain. I'm kind of annoyed with my (very) positive splits, and I was hoping to hit closer to 24 min. Perhaps I should have started out a little slower. Confused I think overall, I paced myself pretty well except for the last hill, which really shouldn't have slowed me down as much as it did. No beer at the end, but lots of Panera bagels and Powerbars. Big grin
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hard to avoid positive splits if you get the downhill early and the uphill late Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Good job,labrat!. This is the type of race I know well, but I am way back there..My running buddies, DD1, GS4, and Econo have all decided that slowing down for water doesn't make sense for a 5K, but does soon after. Thanks for sharing.. Woods Lady
          Hard to avoid positive splits if you get the downhill early and the uphill late Smile
          yeah... it was sort of an out-and-back, and so started with a nice downhill that I was like, ooo we're going to have to run back up this thing later. Sad thanks woodslady!

Think Whirled Peas

Congrats on a pretty solid race. PRs are always nice! As you keep racing your feel for pace will improve. I still struggle with it too, and I'm willing to bet that the majority of folks on this board have trouble with it as often as not. You're dead on w/starting a little slower, learning to start easy - finish hard will get you in the right mindset for racing. Once a week or so finish off one of your easy runs w/a fast finish from about 3/4 or 1/2 mile out. It'll get you to feel fast at the end of a run but won't really burn you out. As far as the water stop goes, unless it's hotter 'n' bejeebus out there I wouldn't bother and I think you were right to pass it up. Nice job, and keep it rollin'!!! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Great job out there. Conking out in the last mile is common...I managed to do that in my 5K this morning too! I believe it is a combination of fitness and guts that will remedy that problem. Congrats on the PR though. Way to go. Smile
                thanks guys! Q - thanks for the advice, I will give that a try! Smile
                xor

Bratosaurus... 1. What everyone else said about downhill early, uphill late. Seems pretty normal. 2. I tend not to pass up sorority girls. No siree. 3. xc kid 'flashing'. Er, was he showing the wingding? I wouldn't find that amusing. You ran great. And you didn't throw up at the end, or at least you didn't post about it, so big thumbs up.

1. Bratosaurus? did you just call me fat? Tongue Big grin 2. you would have been in your element in this race! 3. Nah, he was just lifting up his shirt, so not a huge deal. And he didn't flash me, so I'm obviously not in contention with the hawt sorority gals. Undecided and nope, i leave the barfing to my canine friend next door. Dead
                      If you were passing runners at the end it probably means your pace was good. Feeling like you are dying on the last mile is normal and you still had almost the same split as mile 2 so I think you ran a hard and good race today. Look forward to your next report. I started feeling that dreaded dying feeling around 2.2 miles today as my mind drifted into the race homestretch. When that happened I told myself to relax and stay within myself. I told myself that I am in control of my speed so if I ever get to the point of redlining I can slow up.
                      xor

No, a Bratosaurus is a fierce creature. If I wanted to call you fat, I would have went with Bratapotamus. You're welcome.

thanks MF - yeah the dying feeling is horrible while it's happening, but feels good after. SRL - nicely done. love it. Tongue