Chicago Distance Classic - HM (Read 733 times)

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't extend the finish time. However, there's nothing mentioned about this in the CDC's email or on the website. You might want to send them an email (Beth Salinger at bsalinger@johnbingham.com) to confirm.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

missy1102

Isn't the Jackson stop closer than Roosevelt?
      i thought both stops were about the same.. i always get mixed up where gear check is for the CDC vs. the marathon (esp athlete's village) jackson might be a bit closer like, a few hundred yards, if that. regardless, either stop works! Yes
      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

The recent e-mail from the RD states that we have to determine the wave to go with by ourselves... on race morning?! They "hope" that everyone cooperates. Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure they knew how big the race would be so making this call AFTER everyone signs up is a recipe for a complete cluster &*%. Get there early to get in Wave 1... Perhaps the marshalls will only let runners who "look" fast in Wave 1? Evil grin I'm glad I already have a corral B spot in the marathon (B) and plan to use this race as a marathon pace run.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

wbertha

Thanks for the info and address. I sent Beth an email and will let the group know what she says. However, if the walkers actually start in the last wave (& we plan to), how much time do you think we will actually have to complete the course once we cross the start line. I have a feeling that it will be way shorter than initially indicated. wbertha
          bluii12

i'll be there! i'm recovering from a stress fracture so this race will definitely not be raced for me.. i have no expectations.. just to finish! i agree with the weather. its been either hit or miss in the past; either plan for a death march or a slightly uncomfortable 1+ hr workout Roll eyes as for parking, i wouldn't count on finding street parking. the meters are free on sunday meaning that people don't up and leave as often as when the meters are running. if you're not willing to pay the astronomical parking fees at the grant park garages, another option is to find parking further south/north of the park along the red line, then take the red line in and get off at roosevelt. hope this helps.
            Missy...it's bluii12 here! Howdy! Big grin
              how much time do you think we will actually have to complete the course once we cross the start line. I have a feeling that it will be way shorter than initially indicated
              Its just a guess, but I think they will be pretty generous with the time for two simple reasons. 1. The course no longer runs through the Loop, so no need to rush people along to open those streets. 2. The portion of the course that runs on lakeshore drive ends at mile 6.5, so they will be able to open LSD entirely once folks get past the midway point. After mile 6 1/2, it appears that no portion of the course runs on any streets or requires any road closures.

missy1102

Missy...it's bluii12 here! Howdy! Big grin
                HI, HI!! how are ya??!?? nice to see you over here.. hope your leg problems are improving?!???
                  A couple updates on the Distance Classic.... First, we learn a little more about the wave start: "Approximately 2,000 athletes will start in each wave with 2 minutes between each group to ensure a safe event for all." So the whole wave thing should go pretty quickly, assuming it works as planned. Also some news regarding the timing chips: "NEW in 2008 the Chicago Distance Classic will be using the ChronoTrack timing system. This system uses a disposable timing device that you attach to your shoes. No need to worry about returning a chip at the end of the event, or a lost chip fee. For directions on how to properly attach the D-Tag click here." I'm pleased that they are using the D-Tags. These are disposable timing strips that will originally be attached to your bib. You peel the tag off the bib, and then loop it into your laces. I first used the D-Tag at this year's Nike Bastille Day 5K, and it was very cool. As a plus, the money goes to a midwestern (Indiana) company, rather than overseas to the ChampionChip folks. If you've never used the disposable D-Tags before, you should read the instructions. The tags are more fragile than chips, and you can damage them if you put them on incorrectly. (My recommendation is that you do NOT remove the tag from your bib until you get to the race and into the starting chute; there is less chance that the tag will get stepped on, twisted, or yanked off if you wait.)

missy1102

berner, thank you for the helpful info. looks like suday's race will have decent weather as of now. good luck to all!!
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Got my packet... same ole booths. However, I decided to pick up a pair of RaceReady shorts/loin cloth to see what all the hype's about. I'll give them a whirl on my next long run. Fingers crossed for the weather and some level of organization with the self seeding wave start.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."