Post-ACL Surgery Recovery (Read 1580 times)

joescott

Had the great good fortune of completely tearing my ACL playing basketball back in January and had reconstruction surgery on Feb 4. Bad timing (like there is ever good timing for such a thing!) as I was also building up for Boston - c'est la vie. Anyway.... as of April Fool's Day I will be at 8 weeks post-op. My PT has said "jogging" can maybe start at 8 weeks. Doc, however, has strongly suggested no earlier than 12 weeks. I did start swimming 2-3 weeks ago to start regaining some of my lost cardio, but am keen to begin my "comeback" if my knee will stand it. Am curious about other folks' recovery and return to running after this injury. Any thoughts or experiences to share?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

You'll ruin your knees!

I've done a little running since I tore my ACL (both of them, separate incidents) and had reconstructive surgery. It is amazing how quickly folks are getting back out there after surgery these days... After my first, my doc forbade any running for 9 months! Even with the technological advances that get you back to normal(ish) activities, I'd be cautious about too much too quickly. I'm no doc, but I'd consider the 12 week suggestion...Your doc has a little more say than you PT, in my book. Best of luck, Lynn B MTA: OK, I realized when re-reading that I may need to clarify... I've run a good bit since surgeries, some nasty, gnarly courses that would make your knee's head spin. You'll be fine, I'm just thinking a big setback might be worse than taking it slow. You may be a young'un that recovers crazy fast... the older you are, the slower (generally) you recover...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

joescott

Lynn, thanks for the input. it is good to see that someone who has also gone through this (twice, no less!) is fully functioning and enjoying running at a high level.

- Joe

Wingz

Professional Noob

My running career started after my ACL tear because I wanted an exercise without lateral movement. I don't remember the exact weeks/timing, but if your PT/doc says it's ok to try, then try gently at first. I'd suggest run/walking at first. You may find you get post-run swelling for a while - be consistent about icing after runs. DON'T jump into any intervals for a while yet - you're still very much in the healing phase still. Also, remember hills can be hard on your knees too, especially since your muscles will have changed/degenerated some with disuse after the surgery. Be kind to your new knee and there's no reason you can't continue to be a successful runner!

Roads were made for journeys...

flovesparko

Had the great good fortune of completely tearing my ACL playing basketball back in January and had reconstruction surgery on Feb 4. Bad timing (like there is ever good timing for such a thing!) as I was also building up for Boston - c'est la vie. Anyway.... as of April Fool's Day I will be at 8 weeks post-op. My PT has said "jogging" can maybe start at 8 weeks. Doc, however, has strongly suggested no earlier than 12 weeks. I did start swimming 2-3 weeks ago to start regaining some of my lost cardio, but am keen to begin my "comeback" if my knee will stand it. Am curious about other folks' recovery and return to running after this injury. Any thoughts or experiences to share?
            I went 10 yrs without an ACL before I got it fixed a few years ago. Don't really need it for running or cycling but I wanted to start playing other sports that I gave up years ago. Even though one of my best friends was my PT, I still took the advice of the surgeon. Go easy and don't push it. You want a strong tight ACL. You do too much too soon and it will be loose. I had a friend that went through it a few months before me. I'm not sure if you took your new ACL from your petalla tenon or hamstring but you also have to go easy because of that. I had patella knee pain for two years after surgery. Get on the bike for a few weeks and then do what your PT says. My surgeon was so honest he said he is only 50% of the cure, the rest is you and your PT. I ran easy for over a year before I even did any speed and now I am as fast as I have ever been. Best of luck.
            joescott

Wingz & Flovesparko, Hey thank you guys for the thoughtful replies. Today was my official 8-week post-op mark. Don't have green light yet from either PT or doc as it turns out, but in any case, I appreciate your strong caution to take it easy! Spending lots of time in the pool. Boy do I miss running! Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Every data point is a great help to me! Joe

- Joe

Each ortho doc has their own protocol in regards to return to runnning after ACL. So your best bet it to talk with your ortho and see what his progression is going to be. Most of the time the progression is straight line "jogging"-no speed, no hills, no direction change, no actual distance. Then the progression goes from there. Let your Ortho know your goals so that you are both on the same page and there are no suprises.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf