How many marathons is TOO MANY in a year? (Read 924 times)

DoppleBock

Myrlte Beach 2/14 Virginia Beach 3/22 Buffalo 5/24 San Francisco 7/26.. Potentially My wife is concerned that my new hobby could be harmful to my health. Does anyone know the proper amount of marathons that can be done in a year without adverse effects on the body? Confused I figured a two month window between races is adequate time to recover and prepare properly for the next.
    My 1st ever was 5 weeks before my 2nd - I ran #1 comfortably 3:09 and wanter to run #2 hard, but could not because I was not fully recovered from #1 - My goal of sub 3:00 had to go and settle for 3:03 My point? You will not optimize your performance running more than 2-3 a year spread out by many months. If all you want to do is experience the marathons, you could run those 4 that close - You might even get faster in each, but it will not be optimal performance. Last year I ran 8/9 3:00 9/21 4:50 (Pacing my sister) 10/11 2:58 11/2 2:57 all subpar times for me, but I had a lot of fun. running 4:50 was the most enjoyable for the company I got to keep, but I could run a 4:00 marathon every weekend and not be derimental. There is a reason why there are 12-24 week training programs. Now there are people that love the marathon and the marathon experience - The people, the race, the different courses and for them your plan might be a little weak. Sometimes the people running 1-2 marathons a year soley focussed on PRs etc are getting very little joy in running. I find the Marathon Maniacs usually 1st put their attention to the joy and 2nd to PRs - Hmmm running for the joy of it? Its not right or wrong, but what's right or wrong for you.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

JimR

367 *shrug*
        https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bpence2/www/Geb/Geb.html I looked at this guy's history and he never did more than 3 in a year. I remember reading something he said about most people trying to race too many marathons.
        xor

From what I've seen after observing hundreds of runners is that it is way too many. For someone who wants to do well competitively it is definitely not a good thing. If you want to continue to run well on into your 50's, 60's, and beyond it is probably not a good idea either. Sure, you might do ok for a couple years but it will almost surely catch up with you. If seen hundreds of runners come and go during my 30 years of doing this, and the overwhelming majority who have overdone it with marathoning have not fared well. You can point to the Chuck Engles and other exceptions, but they are exceptions and even they would in all likelihood do much better if they ran fewer marathons. I'm quite involved in the running scene and know who most of the top masters runners are in Northern California. I can't think of a single one who does multiple marathons year after year. I also spent 14 years in Arizona before moving here and it was the same thing. This isn't something I'm making up. All we have to do is pay attention to what the great majority of the most successful runners do. One, or at most 2 marathons in a year, should be plenty and even that is pushing if done every year. As for the effect on one's health that's a whole other issue. I didn't used to think it was bad for us in this respect, but more and more I have seen evidence that it might be. Ok, now you can go ahead and pelt me with eggs and rotten tomatoes Black eye
          1. I have also observed 100s of runners, and they all seem fine to me. Of course, the runners I'm observing are maniacs and 50 staters, not "the top masters runners in X", so ymmv. Well, except that some of these folks are indeed fast and win hardware monthly. So again, ymmv. 2. I dunno about the whole 'running well into your 50s and 60s' aspect. I suppose it depends on how you define 'running well'. Anyway, I see these folks getting hardware. More importantly, I see them doing what they want to do irrespective of hardware, which is really the most important thing. 2a. Lots of 50 staters are older folks. So while Jim might be seeing evidence that lots of running into your later years could be harmful, I see the opposite. It would seem that it depends on who you hang out with. Anyway, it comes down to your goals. If you want to run really, really fast and focus on one target race at a time, then do that. If you want to push yourself in different ways (one way might be "run two as fast as possible in two days"), then do that. If you want to travel and run, do it. You probably won't spontaneously combust. You may always wonder if you could have run that last race faster. Sometimes the answer will be yes. Sometimes maybe. Sometimes "I don't really care because that was hella fun". Shrug. As for doing lots of running on trails because its softer, well, maybe. I personally would NEVER suggest doing mega amounts of races on trails because you have to balance the "soft" against "I hit a root and turned my ankle" and falling on your face and stuff. But I know lots of people who DO run mega amounts on trails. It's just running.

DoppleBock

I think you should do what ever type of running /racing that brings you the most joy Big grin in your life If running brings you no joy then find something else to do that does

Try it and see how it goes. Seems totally reasonable to me. I run with a lot of folks who do a lot more than that and they all seem fine (and fast!)... you'll never know unless you try it.
              xor

Try it and see how it goes. Seems totally reasonable to me. I run with a lot of folks who do a lot more than that and they all seem fine (and fast!)... you'll never know unless you try it.
                I agree. The sane counter-point that always comes up (and rightly so... and has in this thread) is that if you run a few close together, you'll never know if you could have been faster... or how much faster... had you not done it that way. This is where 'experiment of one' and 'goals' come into play. Either way, you'll never know until you try. I wanted to see how many I could run in a year... and I wanted to do it without walking or shuffling. So I did. I wanted to see how fast I could run 2 in 2 days and so I did. I wanted to see if I could do a 'negative split double' (2 in 2 days with the second one faster), and so I did. Could I have run a single one faster if I hadn't had a second one to do? Well, sure, probably. But that wasn't my goal. So, cool. I'm not trying to be Geb. Or Dopple Bock, or Jim2 or Jimnumbers. Being bhearn would be pretty cool, but I couldn't handle living in BC and loving Apple.

spinach

Last year I ran 8/9 3:00 9/21 4:50 (Pacing my sister) 10/11 2:58 11/2 2:57
                  Dopple Bock Was the 8/9 one Paavo? I think I ran some miles ( 18-20) with you there. That race was some evidence to me that you shouldn't try to race two marathons in a week. I had run San Francisco (3:05) the week before and came into Paavo thinking I just might have a shot at 3 hours. I felt pretty good for most of the way but I could feel the 26 miles in San Francisco during the last 4 or 5 miles at Paavo and I lost a couple minutes there. Oh well, maybe this year. I haven't decided yet if I will go back to San Francisco this year but it isn't the week before Paavo.
                  xor

spinach, I think you should come to SFO because I'd like to meet spinach.

spinach

spinach, I think you should come to SFO because I'd like to meet spinach.
                      I think I met you at Paavo when you ran it a couple years ago.
                        I normally do 2 per year. Last year in my continued list of failures I did three May Ottawa 3:29 Oct/19/ Toronto 3:25 Nov/2/Hamilton 3:30 The first one I had cramps and walked most of the last few miles. In the second I had shin pain at the start and had to walk for a long while to feel better. Two weeks later I tried another in a desperate attempt to BQ. By mile one my shins hurt again and I was reduce to a walk after two attempts I was able to go but at mile 20 my body started to remind me that I just did a 26.2 two weeks earlier; To me it all depends on the individual and sure if you tried to race them all. I have never really gotten beaten up by a marathon because of all 7 that I attempted I have had some problem that ruined my race.
                        bhearn

Being bhearn would be pretty cool, but I couldn't handle living in BC and loving Apple.
                          Big grin Truth be told, I could do without the 6 months of gray and rain. But I'd have to move farther south than Seattle to get away from that.
                          DoppleBock

Dopple Bock Was the 8/9 one Paavo? I think I ran some miles ( 18-20) with you there. That race was some evidence to me that you shouldn't try to race two marathons in a week. I had run San Francisco (3:05) the week before and came into Paavo thinking I just might have a shot at 3 hours. I felt pretty good for most of the way but I could feel the 26 miles in San Francisco during the last 4 or 5 miles at Paavo and I lost a couple minutes there. Oh well, maybe this year. I haven't decided yet if I will go back to San Francisco this year but it isn't the week before Paavo.
                            I rememeber chatting with you about SF - You were strong and I was struggling to match pace - but then I kept chugging along and just before the highway I slipped ahead a bit. I think we were on pace until mile 19 then we hit those little nasty hills that a person could walk up as fast as run. Paavo was not a PR course - I do not remember any flat sections but the last .2 of a mile. I missed sub 3:00 by 20 seconds or so. We have a Running Ahead member that is the 3x winner of Paavo. Hard course, but fun time. SF is 2 weeks before Paavo - so you should be strong by then

xor

I think I met you at Paavo when you ran it a couple years ago.
                              Uh oh. Well, I apologize for not remembering! I had a pretty terrible race at Paavo. I really want to come back and do much better. Unfortunately, it happens to be the same weekend as one of my all-time favorite marathons on the planet (Haulin Aspen), so I dunno when I will be back.

Was it all a dream?

It depends on whether you are running them or racing them.
                                +1