How many marathons is TOO MANY in a year? (Read 924 times)

Right on Hereford...

Race the next one and then jog Frisco (I love calling San Francisco 'Frisco', cuz local Bay Area peeps absolutely HATE it!).
    LOL, I once said that I was going to run in Frisco over the weekend, and caught flack from some Californian...IT'S NOT FRISCO, YOU IDIOT. I said, "Frisco is a town in Colorado. Look it up." Big grin
    Specificity of training says that the best way to train for a marathon is to run 26 miles.
    Maybe, or does it say, the best way to train for a marathon is to run at marathon pace? Or both? Just sayin'.
    xor

Just sayin'.
      What are you "just sayin'" ? You started with choice A and added a B and a C. I've never really understood the phrase "just sayin'". Are you just saying it is A, B, or C?

Why is it sideways?

I think he's just sayin' that the existence of the principle of specificity does not directly imply that the best way to train for a marathon is to run 26 miles.

Right on Hereford...

I think he's just sayin' that the existence of the principle of specificity does not directly imply that the best way to train for a marathon is to run 26 miles.
          Exactly. And for what it's worth, I do not know the best way to train for a marathon!
            At some point I think we have to ask ourselves just how far we take this specificity argument. Why bother to train at all? Why not do nothing but run races?
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            xor

At some point I think we have to ask ourselves just how far we take this specificity argument. Why bother to train at all? Why not do nothing but run races?
              Because it's really damn expensive.

xor

Okey doke, I understand that interpretation. Subject matter aside... and maybe because English was kind of a second language for me at first and so I puzzle over weird stuff... I've never really understood "just sayin'". It's usually tacked onto something that was already said. But I generally don't know why. Ok then. BTW, I just realized that the original poster is the person who also started the thread about a running 'company' that seemed to be more of a 'club with sponsors'. Frisco is also a town in North Texas.

Imminent Catastrophe

Okey doke, I understand that interpretation.
                  Please to explain what means "Okey doke"?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Right on Hereford...

I've never really understood "just sayin'". It's usually tacked onto something that was already said. But I generally don't know why.
                    It means, "those are just my thoughts/opinions, but I don't really care too much either way."
                      No kidding. Plus I don't have enough time or energy to run 100 miles (or a marathon) a day.
                      xor

Please to explain what means "Okey doke"?
                        No, gracias.
                        It means, "those are just my thoughts/opinions, but I don't really care too much either way."
                        Ah, so. Thanks. (I'm being sincere. I've been stumped by 'Just sayin' for several years now).

spinach

I said, "Frisco is a town in Colorado. Look it up."
                          They have a pretty nice half marathon in Frisco. The problem is that it starts at about 10,000 feet and drops about 700 feet the first few miles. My legs never hurt as much after a race as they did after that one, and I had a 10 mile race the next day in the Garden of the Gods. Running a half marathon down a mountain is not a good way to prepare for a hilly ten mile race the next day.
                            Unless you live in Seattle where there are 20 free marathons a year. Oh Wait! You do live in Seattle! Never mind!
                            xor

But there are 32 other weekends. Plus a need to do doubles and triples.

One thing for sure is that you guys get more bang for the buck on a $ per mile basis. At least on the entry fees you do. I ran 32 races last year but in total they added up to a paltry 197 miles. At $25 a pop that's more than $4 a mile. I'm allowing for 6 free club races in my estimate or the average entry would be more than 25 bucks.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33