Sports Performance of the Year? (Read 1283 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

This is somewhat of a silly conversation. Saying that Jamie would not be an "elite" in a marathon is true. She also probably would not do very well at pole vaulting or shotput, it's irrelevant. They are different events and should be judged on their own. And speculation like "if the Kenyans only wanted to do Badwater they would dominate" is just idle speculation and that dead horse has been beaten on Letsrun. Please let's not go there. How do you judge something so diverse as "sports performance of the year"? IMHO it's a matter of an athlete dominating in his/her sport and I think this performance qualifies.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Travis, There is nothing that you said that in your response to my post that I would argue with. My iniitial reaction was to the "Sports Performance of the Year?" question but that would be an impossible choice anyway. One thing for sure is that what Jamie did was truly remarkable. I was surprised that she put in 200-mile training weeks too. And, no, I cannot begin to imagine it. That would be more than a marathon everyday!
      To put her training effort in perspective, think about this. Dean ran 50 marathons, in 50 consecutive days, in 50 states. Jamie, beat him at BadWater! Oh yea Jamie is a grade school teacher! She does get summers off but I doubt many people who put in 200+ mile weeks hold down a full time job! She is one of a kind!
      Lisa J

I competed against Jamie in track and XC in high school and college. I think if Jamie wanted to be a world class marathoner she could. I believe she was the Pennsylvania state champion for xc, the mile, and the 2 mile. In college she finished in the top 5 in nationals for xc and the 10000 meters. I believe that the training that goes into utras (high miles) and little speed work kills your marathon time. Lisa
        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I competed against Jamie in track and XC in high school and college. I think if Jamie wanted to be a world class marathoner she could. I believe she was the Pennsylvania state champion for xc, the mile, and the 2 mile. In college she finished in the top 5 in nationals for xc and the 10000 meters. I believe that the training that goes into utras (high miles) and little speed work kills your marathon time. Lisa
          All I know is that she dropped it down to a 6:30 mile after mile 84 when I ran with her at Umstead! I was supposed to be pacing her but I was just trying to keep up with her! I bet she would be good for a 2:45 marathon with minimal marathon specific training. Yesterday I tried to match the effort she put in on that day. I failed miserably! However, it was 95 degrees and 90% humidity yesterday. It was ONLY 70 degrees and 100% humidity(fog and rain) when Jamie did it. That was a joke of course!
            I just want to say wow... thanks for sharing that and the video's were awesome! six... 200 mile weeks... Shocked How cool...for the record the tennis match was awesome... btw (tiger) winning a golf tourney with a broken bone is pretty up there too... for some reason though neither is as awe inspiring as running for 24+ hours. 100+ miles.. To the average american running a marathon isn't something they can mentally appreciate... let alone understand running 100 some miles... Heck... I've run a marathon... and well have no appreciation for what it would be like to run a 50 miler... To me this might not be "sports performance of the year" BUT the performances that I think deserve consideration don't even come close to comparing to what Jamie did in terms shear jaw dropping affect! run a 6:30 after running 80 some miles... ARE YOU SERIOUS! there are a whole host of folks trying to do that for just 5k ... and training hard to do so... amazing... Wow...
            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

run a 6:30 after running 80 some miles... ARE YOU SERIOUS! there are a whole host of folks trying to do that for just 5k ... and training hard to do so... amazing... Wow...
              It was actually kind of weird running with her. We got about 6-8 miles into the lap and I thought "Heck, I bet I could keep up with her for the whole 100 miles"! Then she laid the hammer down and I realized why she is so great! I finished that single 12.5 mile lap with her and wished her luck. I got to go sit down and be pampered to some Cheese Burgers and Sodas. Jamie went out and hammered another 12.5 mile lap(her 8th of the day). That is the difference between a long distance runner and an Ultra marathon runner. I could keep up with her or stay ahead of her for about 28 miles. After that it would look like an SR-71 passing a wounded duck! I would be puking my guts out at that point while she would still be warming up! Just for good measure I went out and ran 12.5 miles in Umstead today(Where the 100 miler is). I managed a nice 8:00 per mile pace for the whole 12.5 miles. However, I am absolutely spent right now. I could not run another mile. The thought of another 87.5 miles is just sickening. Ultra marathoners are a different breed!
              Purdey

Self anointed title

Also Jamie mentioned that she did six 200+ mpw and I am sure all of the rest were 150-200 mpw. Marathoners may do 150-180 but I can’t recall any that did six 200+ mpw! I can’t imagine a 200+ mpw week, can you?
                Yes. Juma Ikangaa ran 200mpw+ for 10 years. Oh - and Ron Hill.

kcam

Jason Lezak's 46.06 anchor leg when the chips were down. That was racing.
                  JakeKnight

Yup. I thought of this thread when I watched that race.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

I tried to find the splits for that race for the top 2 teams... and I can't seam to find them... (sorry for the highjack)
                      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I definitely was on Jamie’s side at the beginning of this thread. However, I watched that relay this morning and now I am a believer! That was the single greatest moment in Olympic history(Don’t even say Nadia, Lewis, Mary Lou, Luganis, or Spits) and probably the greatest moment in all sports in my opinion! The anchor swim of that relay was simply “UNBELIEVABLE”! If Phelps wins 8 golds he better give them all to Lezak! That guy saved his “@ss”! I have one question though. What is the world record for the men’s 100 free? Is it less than 46.06? Did Lezak swim the fastest 100m Free in history or did he just swim the fastest 100m “Leg” in history? Either way it was “Freaking Ridiculous”! If you missed it then definitely catch this on youtube! Or I actually have the NBC HD version recorded if anyone wants to see it in its HD glory!
                        JakeKnight

Hyperbole - it's the greatest thing ever! MTA: Here's the link to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_records_in_swimming If I understand it correctly, they only compare splits in relays to other events if you're the first one in the water. Because the current world record at 100 meters was set during that race by the first Australian. It's 47:24. Two of the Americans broke that record, but they swam the second and fourth legs - so I guess there's a timing issue or something that makes it an apples and oranges comparison. Maybe some swimming expert will explain. Nevertheless, Lezak swam a 46:06.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Hyperbole - it's the greatest thing ever! MTA: Here's the link to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_records_in_swimming If I understand it correctly, they only compare splits in relays to other events if you're the first one in the water. Because the current world record at 100 meters was set during that race by the first Australian. It's 47:24. Two of the Americans broke that record, but they swam the second and fourth legs - so I guess there's a timing issue or something that makes it an apples and oranges comparison. Maybe some swimming expert will explain. Nevertheless, Lezak swam a 46:06.
                            I believe the difference is due to the fact that you have to wait for the gun to sound at the start in the individual events. You just can not hit the water before your previous swimmer touches in the relay. That is about a second difference. Please correct me if that is wrong.
                            kcam

(Don’t even say Nadia, Lewis, Mary Lou, Luganis, or Spits)
                              Regarding this part of your post (and sorry in advance for the off-topic but ...) I remember the old joke from '72 - "How do they fill the Olympic Swimming Pool?" "Mark Spitz" Bwahahaha - juvenile, I know. But I thought it was the greatest joke ever when I was 11! Oh, and I think you're right about the waiting for the gun to sound. That's much more difficult than anticipating when your swimmer will tough. You're off a little that you just can't hit the water before your teammate touches - supposedly you have to wait .03 seconds AFTER your teammate touches before you can jump. Anything less than 0.03 seconds is a disqualification. Lezak's time was 0.04!!! Did he time that right or what?
                              protoplasm72

At the start you can't move at all till the gun fires. In the relay you can't leave the platform till the previous swimmer touches the wall but you can start moving before that. They call it a rolling start. Also because he was behind when he started the last leg he was drafting for the first lap which makes it a little easier. Typically when you are breaking a WR in a normal race you aren't drafting cause you are in the lead. Still that was a crazy split and an awesome race. Based on how much the French were talking before the race I'm not surprised they lost. Guarantees almost always backfire.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson