Stomach cramps, not side stitch (Read 64 times)

Heasta

Hi all! I’m looking for advice for my son.  He will be a junior this year.  Has been one of the better runners on his XC team since 7th grade.  He has always had problems with cramping.  Up until this spring, we all thought it was side stitches, so stretching and bananas and breathing techniques have been what all of his coaches have focused on. Last year he had an awful XC season, battling a groin pull and subsequent hamstring issue, which turned out to be a leg length problem.  When it came to spring and track this year it came to a head and we finally sat down and really talked about how he feels when he runs. He is getting cramping in his stomach, not side stitches.  It hurts and makes him want to vomit.  His coach still thinks it’s growing pains.  He likes running and loves his team, but said he is done if we can’t get this under control.  We will be talking to his doctor in a couple weeks, but I’m hoping for some suggestions from some experienced runners, more than “growing pains”, that we can try during summer conditioning over the next couple weeks.

How long is it between eating and running.

big lunch and heat bad combination. I have always run best on a empty stomach. Try waiting 5 or 6 hours after eating to run

Heasta

He is a snacker, but tries not to eat for couple hrs before he runs.  Example, if they have a 6pm conditioning run, he’ll eat a snack around 4.  I’ll have him try extending that and see if it helps.  Would that include drinks or just food? As you can tell, I am not a runner! 

Thank you!

healthcare8055

can someone suggest what to eat before running in the morning or run on a n empty stomach.

can someone suggest what to eat before running in the morning or run on a n empty stomach.

Cliff bar, a banana, stroopwafel, toast...something light.  Some people go on an empty stomach. Either way works, but if you find you lack energy on your run, then try to eat something beforehand.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Village people

This happens to my son, too. He found that dairy really bothers him and he mostly cuts gluten. For him it was more trial and error and his stomach still does occasionally bother him. He is now a HS senior and will be running in college where I hope he will get advice if it becomes a problem again. Good luck to your son.