Country Music Marathon (Read 1322 times)

mikeymike

If you wear an iPod in the Country Music Marathon won't you miss out on all the...country music?

Runners run

If you wear an iPod in the Country Music Marathon won't you miss out on all the...country music?
      This has always confused me, as it seems that the majority of the live bands play anything BUT country music. In fact, in 07 during my first ever marathon, I got to mile 12 (right where the convent of nuns always stand - to which I raised my hands and made the entire group of nuns scream...who can say that?) and the band was playing "You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, baby you're no good..." My encouragement factor went from about a 9.5 to a -3.2. But then, the nuns came so...
        This has always confused me, as it seems that the majority of the live bands play anything BUT country music. In fact, in 07 during my first ever marathon, I got to mile 12 (right where the convent of nuns always stand - to which I raised my hands and made the entire group of nuns scream...who can say that?) and the band was playing "You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, baby you're no good..." My encouragement factor went from about a 9.5 to a -3.2. But then, the nuns came so...
        hahahaha - oh nuns... Big grin i often run with an ipod either for music or audiobooks during my daily runs, but when i ran my first half marathon, i didn't bring it, and didn't miss it at all. It's far more fun listening to the cheering people on the sidelines, especially when total strangers read your name off your bib number and scream, "Go Sam Go Sam!!" Big grin of course, I was also expecting my silly sister to run with me, but she dropped me like a hot potato after the first mile. Roll eyes
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Meh. You run by the stages. You hear the music at each stage for maybe 30 seconds as you pass. Many of the stages have nobody playing (WTF?). You want music, put on an iPod. I run a race that falls twice every year in a prison. Yes. A prison. We run 1/3 mile laps around the prison yard next to the double 12-foot barbed wire fence. They have a big radio playing classic rock in one corner. You hear it the whole way around the track. You get music the entire race. Distances offered include a 5k, a half and a full marathon. So, lots of time to hear the music, and much more music at the prison run than at the country music run.

Why is it sideways?

Nevermind. I am not in the swamp.

#artbydmcbride

At least the concert afterward is country music. Smile

Runners run

xor

Some of the stops will have country, some won't. And some of the country bands will play crossover songs (like "You're No Good", which is a terrible choice, yikes). And alas, as is normal at an Elite event, some of the stages will be no shows, especially if the weather is poor. And you won't get to hear them for very long. My favorite race with music stops is not an rnr event at all... it's the good ol' Portland (OR) Marathon. Not quite as many stages, but lots. And lots of diversity. You get rock, bluegrass, a little tejano, marching bands w/ drums, JESUS! JESUS!, and... at least until 2008... a big band that was my absolute favorite. And, once you've done the race a few times, you get used to what will be where. The performers seem to return year after year. I know that the drum line will always be in downtown during the first couple miles. JESUS! JESUS! and tejano or salsa are always in the out-and-back about M8 and M10. Etc. Even though I only hear them for a little bit (actually, it's more like 1-2 minutes as you approach and pull away... twice in the out-and-back section) it's fun and kind of comforting. It's one of the things I really like about that race Smile. And I'm not running 1/3 mile loops! (although that prison race sounds pretty cool and the constant music would be fun)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

stops
                  Music ain't good enough to stop. Often, it motivates you to keep moving, to get out of earshot.
                  And I'm not running 1/3 mile loops! (although that prison race sounds pretty cool and the constant music would be fun)
                  It is really cool. And you run WITH prisoners. And there is fluid every 1/9 mile. And Gu every 1/3 mile. And you have a prisoner assigned to YOU making sure your needs are met every 1/3 mile, logging your 1/3 mile splits and keeping track of how far you have gone. Very cool.

Why is it sideways?

The best song I remember was "Workingman's Blues." I heard it around mile 18 and kept its rhythm rollin' through the finish. Hey hey I'm a workin' man.
                    xor

Music ain't good enough to stop. Often, it motivates you to keep moving, to get out of earshot.
                      Gosh yes. Some of the bands are terrible. There was a metal band in the most desolate section of San Antonio rnr last year. I don't mind metal, but they were out of tune and had a gal singing who could kill cats with her voice. Indeed, it motivated me to run away as fast as possible.

It is really cool. And you run WITH prisoners. And there is fluid every 1/9 mile. And Gu every 1/3 mile. And you have a prisoner assigned to YOU making sure your needs are met every 1/3 mile, logging your 1/3 mile splits and keeping track of how far you have gone. Very cool.
                        That sounds pretty interesting/fun. Sounds like an exciting run.
                          That prison race does sound cool. Where is it? Are any of you local folks running in the Music Moves Me 10K in Huntsville this weekend? I thought it'd be a good warmup for my 3rd CM 1/2. Supposed to be a band every 1/2 mile. I am sort of really dreading the extra uphill at the beginning of the race. Also, I sorta cheated on my estimated entry time so i wouldn't be so far back in corrals. I landed in 10 which is probably a 9:30 pace, way fast for me, but what the heck. I am too impatient to be much further back.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That prison race does sound cool. Where is it?
                            In prison. Wink It is a Nashville Striders-organized run. On May 20 (a weekday) they will do the 5k only in the evening. Info is on their race calendar.
                            wyerock

Also, I sorta cheated on my estimated entry time so i wouldn't be so far back in corrals. I landed in 10 which is probably a 9:30 pace, way fast for me, but what the heck.
                              I estimated 2 hrs (9:10 pace) and I'm in corral 12. (Obviously for the half-marathon).
                                I hate taper.