Mileage increase input needed. Collecting data on the upper limits. (Read 990 times)

over 9000!!!

Hi,

I am currently working on a degree in Kinesiology. 

One subject that always interests me is Increasing mileage during the base build phase.  One of the most common standards is the ol’ 10% rule.  Other strategies exist such as Jack Daniels plan of increasing weekly mileage based on how many days per week your run, ect…

But when I talk to other runners (midpackers, BQ’ers, and semi-elites) I almost always get different ideas on how to increase mileage on the base build phase.  I certainly have different theories too.

What I want:

I am interested in what outside-the-box base building strategies you guys have.  They can be time tested plans or just good theories.  This is not a thread for critiquing each other’s plans.  Let’s just simply take a peek at each others ideas!

How fast do you increase?

Is the increase based on %, a set number, or your intuition?

How many days per week?

Long runs or no?

Rest weeks? If so, when?

Any other interesting technique?

Also, let us leave all the “well, everyone’s body is different and something that may work on one person may not work on another” type of thing out of this.  This is just a discussion on different methods and don’t feel that you will be responsible for someone taking your idea to the road and getting hurt.  Ok?   

I will go first:

Adam’s 10 Week 20 mpw –> 40 mpw base build (when already running 20mpw easily and you have been to 40mpw before)

1)jump right into 28mpw – 7mi runs x 4 days per week

2)do this for 3 weeks

3)On 4th week add another 7mi run for a total of 7mi x5days =35mpw

4)do this for 3 weeks

5)on the 7th week add five miles to one day to turn it into a long run.  =40mpw

6)do this for 3 weeks

7)on the 10th week cut back to 30mpw any way you want for recovery

8)on the 11th week start your main training program!

A bit aggressive maybe and no rest weeks till the end but these are only easy runs and I think this works pretty well for me.  I may just test this one out in a few weeks unless someone posts a more interesting build

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

During my last buildup phase, I just added whatever I could add without adding a lot of stress. SOmetimes that was a 3% increas, sometimes it was over 12%. When I addded this way, I didn't really need cutback weeks because each week had about the same effort level as the one previous.

During my next building phase I'm going to use a different approach. I'm still going to build based on how I feel, but I'm going to be more aggressive. I'll build over a number of weeks (a few? several? who knows? It's all based on what I think I can handle) until I feel I'm at the edge of what I can do. If I need to back off, I'll back off. If I can get by with just holding it htere, I'll just hold it there until I feel I can add some more.

over 9000!!!

I didn't really need cutback weeks because each week had about the same effort level as the one previous.

I really like that statement.  As your physiology improves; more mileage may not seem like a harder mileage.

mikeymike

I know you didn't just say "outside-the-box."  Oh no you DI'INT!!

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Correct me if I'm wrong....

No, really, correct me...

Every runner is different so every runner should increase mileage differenttly.

And most ways are already taken.

Runners run

L Train

I like it better in-the-box, thank you.

MrH

Every runner is different so every runner should increase mileage differenttly.

Indeed. Provided they haven't been in a vegetative state all their lives they already have some capacity for locomotion.

Some will do just fine starting at 40miles per week or more. Even old people who've never engaged in the sport of "running" and are at least 30 lbs overweight.

Others apparently struggle do do more 2miles a day three days per week.

It depends.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

It depends on my cadence, and when the last time I increased it was.

It's based on a % of my intuition.

How many days per week?

All of them, sometimes more than all of them.

Long runs or no?

Define the long runs. By the long runs I mean any runs more than twice a day. No/sometimes.

Rest weeks? If so, when?

Yes, the rest of the weeks.

Sometimes I slow my cadence down slower than I think I should. And then I'll surprise myself WHAM! with a FAST cadence. Seems to wake everything up. Self-surprise should have a study done on it.

Go Pre!

Great, earn points from wing zero by stealing a page from my How To Book: "179 & 19.9 ain't enough"
                    jeffdonahue

I try to increase no more than 5 miles per week, though might be breaking that this week.  But on the other hand, if I have been doing 50mile weeks but then do a series of 40s I would jump right up to 55-60 if it was comfortable

Probably more intuition but loosely based off the 10% rule.  But I honestly think that if your body can take it, a larger increase is fine.  I think the 10% was put there because you just dont know where that breaking point is, and it helps you ease up.

How many days per week?

I run 7 days a week

Long runs or no?

Yes, usually one on Sundays with a medium-long run mid week.

Rest weeks? If so, when?

Every 3-4 weeks depending how I feel.  It is more how I feel.  If my body feels beat up, then I back off the next week.

JimR

I like it better in-the-box, thank you.

But I can never think inside of it.

an amazing likeness

Well...I'm sure this isn't the smartest thing I've done today...but I'll jump in.  What determines the mileage increase for me is:

1. time that was available for running that week and/or any given day;

2. my fitness on that day versus the proposed distance  (how spunky I feel)

3. weather

4. availability of a course that is about the length I want to run that day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This year I went 22-28-31-33-35-38-39

Then I kind of petered out....logging around 31-38 miles a week.

There was really no strategy.

Just get up to 30 miles per week quickly and see how I felt.

I soon learned how much I could comfortably run based on my time constraints.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

OK then, I'll be outside the box if you need me.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'