Everyone has a perfect pace? (Read 765 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

What do you all make of this? Everyone has a perfect pace? http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/perfectrunningpacerevealed

jfa

8.3 mph?!?! Shoot, I have a long way to go!! Cry

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It was assumed that you would require the same total energy to run one mile, no matter if you ran it in 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Even though your energy burn rate would be higher at faster speeds, you would get there in half the time. Turns out, however, that each person has an optimal running pace that uses the least amount of oxygen to cover a given distance.
        Energy burn rate ≠ Oxygen consumption rate. These correlate, but are not the same thing.

Why is it sideways?

Energy burn rate ≠ Oxygen consumption rate. These correlate, but are not the same thing.
          Are you saying that the results of the study--that everyone has an optimal pace at which to run in terms of energy burn--are wrong or that these results are poorly expressed? And how could you come to either of these conclusions so rapidly based on a yahoo summary of the study? Also, is there a more direct way to measure energy burnt than oxygen consumption?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The study results are fine, although they actually show that you burn FEWER (not more) calories per unit of distance as you get faster, up to a point, and that the effect size is pretty danged small (which I have long pointed out). I am pointing out that the yahoo article is incorrect (or, at least, ambiguous). The article itself is fine. I read the original article. I have a copy if you'd like it. Yes, measure CO2 output. MTA: Or, as a response to your trolling: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/cbc52a124cc348adb897dfa7de68702c#focus Smile

Why is it sideways?

My questions were only half-trolling. Thanks for the responses.
              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

My question is what happens at Anaerobic levels or beyond? Do you start becoming very inefficient when you get near your max heart rate?
                  I know I'm one of many endurance runners who spends a lot of time working on stride efficiency over a very wide range of paces. I remember when slower paces used to feel awkward. They feel less so now. So I'd wonder if a lot of it is just an unintentional training effect: you're really good at what you do more often. I also wonder if runners who'd really trained to be smooth running 13 m/mi along with 7 or 8 m/mi might exhibit a much shallower curve.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My question is what happens at Anaerobic levels or beyond? Do you start becoming very inefficient when you get near your max heart rate?
                    Yeah, as posted in the other thread, you have a point of maximal efficiency. Faster or slower than that and you become inefficient:
                    T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Those are some neat drawings...

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Yeah, as posted in the other thread, you have a point of maximal efficiency. Faster or slower than that and you become inefficient:
                        How are calories per KM measured there? Is there an accurate way to measure “actual” calories burned?
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The calorie burn rates are calculated from O2 intake and CO2 output, presumably using standard metabolic testing methods. That is nearly the best you can do. The article, however, is not clear on this point.
                            I'm right there with you NJ. If 8.3 MPH is the average nirvana pace for a male. I'm way behind. If the average person could run this pace then they could all BQ.
                            DoppleBock

+1 Most effeceint O2 usage per mile also doen't equal the best training pace per mile.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Definition of effeciency ? If I am running 100 mile race - I would fail if I ran the pace where my body used the "Most effecient" o2 So why can I run mush farther at an "Ineffecient" pace?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !