Sweaty guys help! (Read 1406 times)

At the risk of derailing this thread...

What do you do about sweat getting into your eyes?  When I run the sweat always ends up in my eyes and it burns like crazy.  I think I sweat sulfuric acid.  I end up taking my glasses off and wiping away the sweat but it's not that much of a help.  It is very temporary.

I always wear a hat.  It helps.

"If I control myself, I control my destiny."
    xor

Hat for me too.  And if a hat is too much, consider looking goofy/retro and get a headband.  Doesn't have to be the LeBron ABA style.  Halo makes some cool ones.

Get Lost :)

I definitely rang out what seemed to be and endless amount of ... perspiration ... from my shirt immediately after this morning's run. What's interesting to me is the saturation point. Maybe I should be wearing a super chamois shirt or something. Maybe one with holes to "breathe."

an amazing likeness

what kinds of shirts/underarmour do you wear in really humid weather so you aren't drowning in sweat after a couple miles? 

Have you considered tailoring up a ShamWow into a singlet ?

I wear Coolmax stuff, and find that it just reaches saturation and stays there wicking lower and lower until the whole shirt is soaked, then my shorts start to wick it down....it gets ugly.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yesterday I was drenched and did not realize how soaked my tech shirt was until started feeling some nipple burning, then really notice that my shirt looked/felt like someone dumped 5 gallons of water on me.  used to think it was more of distance / race situation that was cuplrit, but now realize the soaked shirt is the kiss of death as the extra weight causes the friction.

So took off the shirt and ran shirtless on the 5 miles back.  Was sorry if offended any of the old ladies at the park but a man has to protect the nipples at all cost. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I tuck a little "sweat rag" into my waistband that I can grab and wipe my forehead and eyes once in a while when out running in the heat. It's just a little piece of cloth cut out from an old t-shirt. I just throw my sweat rags in with the regular wash and normally keep the clean ones in my sock drawer. Usually shirtless when hot. Less chaffing that way.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

I wear a cotton wrist band. I've gotten to the point where I have to have them for anything over 70 degrees. My sunglasses also help keep sweat out of my eyes.

In fact, everything I run is technical -- shorts, shirt, socks, and underwear.  It makes a big difference compared to cotton.  You'll still be wet, but you'll be less wet.

Of course, if it's jungle-humid out there, there's no evaporation and you're just plain hosed.  There's only so much you can do when the atmosphere is saturated and there's no good reason for the sweat to go anywhere but stay on you.

+1

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

...---...

I always wear a hat.  It helps.

As dorky as they may look to some, I rock a visor this time of year. Let's heat from the head vent, but captures most sweat from the brow + shields sun from eyes and face. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

xor

If you think a visor looks dorky, try a pink visor.

They *do* work, fo sho.

...---...

Yeah but you make that pink visor look GOOD!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Marylander

What do you do about sweat getting into your eyes?  When I run the sweat always ends up in my eyes and it burns like crazy.  I think I sweat sulfuric acid.  I end up taking my glasses off and wiping away the sweat but it's not that much of a help.  It is very temporary.

I wear a GUTR, http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html, since hats are too hot. Works pretty well for me and I can barely function when I forget it.

Kirk

Imminent Catastrophe

I have that problem too and a hat helps a little but after awhile I'm still getting sweat in my eyes. Here's what solved the problem:

Halo headband

It sounds like a gimmick but it isn't...it works really well. In very hot, humid conditions I wear it with a hat over it, and it really makes a difference. Leaves a funny mark on your forehead but that goes away quickly.

They also make a hat with the headband built in but it's ugly and the hat is too small. Get the headband.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

If you think a visor looks dorky, try a pink visor.

BTW, HaloHeadbands also makes a pink visor. You're in luck:

MTA: SRL, were you running a 100-meter sprint in that photo?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My first summer running (2 years ago?), I said I'm not buying stupid running stuff -- I'm cheap. So I ran in cotton and whatnot. Then in July the temperature went into triple digits with humidity in the 90s. Chafing was painful. Guess who broke down and bought technical stuff.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.