12 year old wants to run with me (Read 1075 times)

I wasn't sure where to post this one --- It's a health thing and a general running thing... I have a question (okay, a bunch of questions). My 12 year old son wants to start running with me. I think it's great. BUT...I'm not quite sure how to ease him into it. Is it safe for someone his age to want to jump into running? He's not a stranger to being active, he was a wrestler, and a soccer player but it's a been a while. This morning he went with me for my run (6 a.m.) , I mapped out a run that looped near our house, the first mile ending at the house. As planned, he ran the first mile and then stopped and I kept going. Is a mile an okay starter distance? We ran at a little over a 9 min mile pace. I don't want to push him or have him get injured. When should I allow him to increase? What other exercises should I have him do? What are ideal easy stretches for someone his age? As being new to running I'm assuming that I won't even introduce hills to him for a while yet...which means a new route for me, but that's okay. Would it be wrong of me to tell him that if he continues with this I'll buy him an ipod shuffle (he really wants one). Out of all my children he is the one with the slowest metabolism and I would love to see him continue with this.

Michelle

mikeymike

I think it's fine. I've run a mile with my 9 y.o. and 7 y.o. girls a few times when they've asked me to (their school has a road race in the spring that's about a mile long and they wanted to practice.) I just let them set the pace and jog along with them. Unfortunatly the 7 y.o. can totally dust her older sister so I have to reel her in at times. To put it in perspective most high school runners get their start at age 14 (just two short years away from where your son is now) and I remember my first winter track practice as a frosh included a 3-mile warmup before the actual workout. So a mile seems more than reasonable for a starting point. I wouldn't be too cautious about hills or anything else, if he's okay with it. At his age he can recover a lot faster than you. As long as he's the one pushing to do more.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

At 12 years old I was running 20-30 miles a week in junior high cross country practice--in addition to riding my mtn bike like a madman, cavorting in the woods with my buddies, and generally raising all kinds of hell. I also ran 10:24 for 2 miles. Didn't seem to do me much harm, but maybe I'm not the best source on that.
        JakeKnight

Didn't seem to do me much harm
          (snerk) An open invitation to all: send me a 500 word essay exploring, analyzing, and debating the above quote. Best essay gets a 6-pack of Milwaukee's Best Light and clippings from Jeff's beard. If you take the position that early mileage did not result in irreparable brain damage and a doctorate in philosophy, please provide alternate hypotheses. /high-jack off ------------------------------------------------------- Your kid'll be fine. He'll probably be running circles around you by next week. I'd think the only cautionary note would depend on where he is in his development - and even then, I'd guess the only danger would be really high mileage. Or ending up like Jeff or Mike.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Go for it. I ran my first 10k with my ol' man at 10 yrs old.
            Scout7

I think your kid will be fine. Just don't force him to do more than he wants to. My hypothesis is that high mileage at an early age has caused JTH damage, both mental or physical. The high mileage has obviously fueled his competitive spirit, leading to a couple decisions later in life. Firstly, this competitive spirit has led for him to seek balance by engaging in what, on the surface at least, appears to be a peaceful and insightful course of study, but in reality breeds contention and debate. He then proceeds to offset this with his embracing of the hippie culture, which, despite its tenets of being all about peace and love, is really all about being in contention with other facets of society. Additionally, I think that there has been a more physical effect. I would surmise that elevated levels of certain hormones and chemicals released when running higher mileage and competing often have managed to affect certain neural pathways in his brain. Similar to nicotine, or cocaine, JTH's brain is now wired to crave high mileage and competition. I'm willing to bet that too much time off, and he gets the shakes. He is a junkie, and running is his fix.
                Well then, I guess I'm not all that worried... Jeff and Mike seem like nice enough guys and Jeff is God-like with his per mile times, if that's the worse that can happen I'll keep on encouraging him. I started running when I was 10, but running was my "thing"...not so much for Charlie (my 12 y/o). I often had shin splints and ending up taping before races so I was wondering if I would be sending Charlie down the same painful path. BUT...kids are tough, he'll bounce back and recover if/when injuries come about. We just won't RUSH into things. I'd love to see him run circles around me, that's the way it should be.

Michelle

For the record...There is no forcing going on! This was HIS idea. I'm not out there with a bullhorn and a whip (that'd be a disturbing sight). The kids used to take turns riding on their bike along side of me while I ran, that was fun. It will be awesome if/when he gets to point where he can run a 5k race with me.

Michelle

Scout7

Oh, I wasn't implying that you were. I's just throwing that out there as a word of caution more than anything else.
                      I know you weren't....Seriously though, I have to be careful not to guilt him into doing more than he wants or should. I'll have to remind myself to be mindful with how I word my support. The kids tend to push themselves further if they think it makes me happy, especially this one.

Michelle

Scout7

Monkey man, did you like my essay?

Why is it sideways?

My hypothesis is that high mileage at an early age has caused JTH damage, both mental or physical. The high mileage has obviously fueled his competitive spirit, leading to a couple decisions later in life. Firstly, this competitive spirit has led for him to seek balance by engaging in what, on the surface at least, appears to be a peaceful and insightful course of study, but in reality breeds contention and debate. He then proceeds to offset this with his embracing of the hippie culture, which, despite its tenets of being all about peace and love, is really all about being in contention with other facets of society. Additionally, I think that there has been a more physical effect. I would surmise that elevated levels of certain hormones and chemicals released when running higher mileage and competing often have managed to affect certain neural pathways in his brain. Similar to nicotine, or cocaine, JTH's brain is now wired to crave high mileage and competition. I'm willing to bet that too much time off, and he gets the shakes. He is a junkie, and running is his fix.
                          Ummm. I don't understand. I thought you were noting damaging effects? Yesterday, in honor of the vernal equinox, I shaved my beard. How does this fit into your equation? Sorry, Mississippi, for the continuation of the hijacking. I blame it on the mileage. And congrats to you for raising a child that wants to run!
                          Scout7

I think the damaging effects are shown by your conflicted nature, which is demonstrated by the beard shaving. You're torn between being that hardcore competitor who wants nothing more than to go out and conquer, and that peaceful, love everyone monk. You're a man in crisis, my friend. You just need to run more.
                            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Another vote for going for it, so long as he sets the pace. Chris UK ran 50 miles in 8 hours and 39 mins when he was 14, just to put things into perspective.

Why is it sideways?

I think the damaging effects are shown by your conflicted nature, which is demonstrated by the beard shaving. You're torn between being that hardcore competitor who wants nothing more than to go out and conquer, and that peaceful, love everyone monk. You're a man in crisis, my friend. You just need to run more.
                                Do I contradict myself? Impossible! Methinks your own categories might be the problem. First rule of philosophy: actuality trumps logic every time. Modified to add: Think of it this way--I love my conflicted nature! Ummm. So. Mississippi--didn't realize this thread would be about me, did you? I'd apologize again, but I think it would be a fairly hollow apology. I'll blame the mileage again. Take a peek into the 2000 mile club. See what happens over there.