12 year old wants to run with me (Read 1075 times)

mikeymike

in honor of the vernal equinox
    Yeah I'm sure your wife coming home from Europe had nothing at all to do with it. It was the vernal equinox.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Yeah I'm sure your wife coming home from Europe had nothing at all to do with it. It was the vernal equinox.
      Busted.
      Scout7

Busted.
        There it is....conflict...... Just sayin'.....

Why is it sideways?

Okay, I have to go warp teach young minds now. You win, Scout,--for now.
          Scout7

Okay, I have to go warp teach young minds now. You win, Scout,--for now.
            Hey, I'll take it.
              HEY! I wasn't paying attention - are we you all done talking about Jeff now? Tongue

Michelle

I hope my son is serious about sticking with running - I just bought him new running shoes last night!

Michelle

I was doing about 25 miles a week with no speed training 2 years ago when I was 12 so I would say if they feel like it go for it. it will only make him a better runner when he gets into high school and whatnot.
                  DMHS Track! PRs 800 m 2:26 1 mile 5:15 2 mile 11:49 Goals for this track season 800 m 2:15 1 mile 5:10 2 mile 11:20 Goals for life? Get 18 so I can do ultra marathons or even just marathons
                    Things have picked up in Charlie world...he just realized that a few of his female friends ("hot" ones, as he put it), are runners. Sooooo, he now has an even stronger desire to run more. This Saturday he, along with one of the "hot" friends, is going to run the same race that my husband and I are running. It's a local 5k, no pressure to beat the clock. The course is the high school's cross country team's course, it will be nice to see what the team runs on all the time. This will be his first ever 5k race, and a good base to see where he stands on ability. Yesterday he did two miles in 19 minutes. He kept saying, in between gasping for air, "we can go faster mom", but I just smiled and said "no, there will be no going faster until you can do 3 miles without feeling like death". He understood and said he's excited about getting to do 3 miles. We'll see what happens.

Michelle

My kid's started doing 5K's with me last summer. Both my 8 yo dd who does the walk/run thing, usually with her friend and my 10 yo ds who was so much faster than I was that I'd never even see him until the finish line. Smile The best advice (besides good shoes) is to just keep it fun. My 16 yo started running on his middle school cross country team at age 11. I know I was 11 or twelve myself when I started running CC and track. I think it can be a great experience for the whole family. We all race together in the summer. (Go Team Barton! Tongue) Even my 4 yo started running last summer when she was 3. Most of our races seem to have 1 mile fun runs associated with them. Little Lily is the one who obviously got all the natural talent in the family. She won a trophy in her first actual race. Third place in her age group. She was the youngest one running in the 6 and under age group. Smile 12:21 on those little tiny legs. Big grin It's been a lot of fun for our family. We're racing again next weekend and looks like dd and ds have talked several friends into running with us. We'll be taking so many kids we have to drive separately to get them all there! LOL! Teresa
                        Can I run with you? Or do I have to be 12 yo?
                          tbarton--- That is so neat that your family does so much running together. Having them start so young gives them an appreciation for what you do when they see you working extra hard to reach a goal and what not. My older children have all run in mile fun runs, they loved it. I'm curious to see if they run as they get older. Charlie (the 12 year old) struggles with sticking with anything. I've had to force him to finish seasons of wrestling and soccer. The only reason why I made him stick with it is because he knew from day one that if he joined the team he was to see it all the way through. If he wasn't planning on finishing, then he wasn't going to start. House rule. abbaroodle---- Sure, you can run with me. Tomorrow, 6 a.m. - just a short drive from Nashville TN. Big grin I could have used a running partner tonight. I ran by myself at night for the first time ever. I did 6 miles and realized that I didn't like a few of the areas along my course. I forgot about the whole "being dark" factor, I had to run on sidewalks more and couldn't see how clear they were. Plus, there was small stretch of woods that freaked me out big time. I was really wishing I had a running partner at that time.

Michelle

abbaroodle---- Sure, you can run with me. Tomorrow, 6 a.m. - just a short drive from Nashville TN. Big grin
                            Sorry, I have to be at work by 5 tomorrow. Maybe we can take a gimp check.
                              Charlie ran his first 3.1 miles today!! YAY!! He was so excited. I mapped out a 3.1 mile course that has one mid size hill. He did great. We ran together. His first mile was 9:34, second was 10:30, and third was 11:00 (which included the hill that we slowed down for). He finished at 31:04, we had to stop for two cars at cross streets, so his actual time might be more like 30:00 (or something like that). I'm very proud of him, and he's proud of himself too. Such a good feeling!!

Michelle

That's fantastic! Congrats to Charlie, and to you for being a great role model! Smile PS - If you decide to get him an MP3 - I highly recomend the Ipod Shuffle MINI. It is about the size of a quarter, holds plenty of songs, clips onto your shirt, shorts, water bottle hgolder, etc., and comes in cool colors. If you order it directly from Apple you can get it engraved with a name, motto, etc., for FREE. I used to run with my Ipod Mini, but this tiny thing beats all! Just rememebr NOT to wash it (I use a pair of BRIGHT green earphones top help keep track of it)!
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado