Those who haven't made their training logs public (Read 1624 times)

JakeKnight

Each to his own, I guess. I don't have any concerns about log security - I can't think of a much safer way to keep, when you add in a back up on two drives. And I don't care much about privacy. Anybody dumb enough to log stalk me may be in for a surprise. Or mind-numbing boredom. I don't censor in there. But the real reason I'd really encourage people to log their stuff is because of its power as a training tool. Because I log at least the basics of all my runs, the info is all right there. Then when I have a question, nobody has to ask me anything. And I can't make up anything, either. I ran what I ran, and can't fake it. It's enormously helpful, because when I've asked simple questions in the past - "How do I get my 5k time faster?" or something like that - I get (for free) half a dozen very good, very experienced runners looking very carefully at what I'm doing, and giving specific answers related to me. And they tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. And sometimes they disagree, but hearing more knowledgeable runners debating a question has its own unique value. That alone is just about priceless as far as I'm concerned. It can be a little intimidating or irritating (since people *will* watch your progress and sometimes offer opinions, whether you want them or not). But its invaluable. I figure the free advice I've gotten here has probably been worth thousands of $$ if I'd paid a coach. You're missing out if you're hiding your log. Try it and see. You can always go back to hiding it if you don't like it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

JimR

I'd consider things like heart monitor and elevation graphs, small increment temp and condition tracking to be overkill. I think there comes a point when the simplicity of the sport gets lost in the details.
        I thought about putting my cellphone number up as my name just so people could text me when I didn't run. Big grin I don't have an unlimited text plan so I've skipped that. I did go log stalking with my binocs and came across this guy.

Vim

I'd consider things like heart monitor and elevation graphs, small increment temp and condition tracking to be overkill. I think there comes a point when the simplicity of the sport gets lost in the details.
          To each his own... I'd rather have elevation gain than mileage. Mileage means absolutely nothing in what I do. Some of us are digit heads. Some aren't.
            To each his own... I'd rather have elevation gain than mileage. Mileage means absolutely nothing in what I do. Some of us are digit heads. Some aren't.
            Agreed. I can think of some interesting races or training routes for folks who don't think the amt of climbing is important, or being prepared for drastic changes in weather, or rocks or deep snow or mud. Wink A 5k (maybe a tad longer) with course record in low 40 minutes - and it's not soft - been raced since early 1900s.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you do?

jules2

Each to his own, I guess. I don't have any concerns about log security - I can't think of a much safer way to keep, when you add in a back up on two drives. And I don't care much about privacy. Anybody dumb enough to log stalk me may be in for a surprise. Or mind-numbing boredom. I don't censor in there. But the real reason I'd really encourage people to log their stuff is because of its power as a training tool. Because I log at least the basics of all my runs, the info is all right there. Then when I have a question, nobody has to ask me anything. And I can't make up anything, either. I ran what I ran, and can't fake it. It's enormously helpful, because when I've asked simple questions in the past - "How do I get my 5k time faster?" or something like that - I get (for free) half a dozen very good, very experienced runners looking very carefully at what I'm doing, and giving specific answers related to me. And they tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. And sometimes they disagree, but hearing more knowledgeable runners debating a question has its own unique value. That alone is just about priceless as far as I'm concerned. It can be a little intimidating or irritating (since people *will* watch your progress and sometimes offer opinions, whether you want them or not). But its invaluable. I figure the free advice I've gotten here has probably been worth thousands of $$ if I'd paid a coach. You're missing out if you're hiding your log. Try it and see. You can always go back to hiding it if you don't like it.
                JK, never agreed with an ape before but I'm with you all the way on this. I would have said exactly the same apart from the fact that the Poison Dwarf ( I think you use the expression DD) and myself have been out on a session tonight in downtown Birstall and are somewhat bladdered on cider.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I've kept an offlilne Excel log for years and still do. However it's easy to keep one here as well and I like it when others do. It took all of 15 seconds to log today's run so it's not like I have to set aside extra time to keep the thing up. .
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Hawt and sexy

Hell, if you could just explain the log stalking/infatuation here, I would appreciate it. I prefer to keep my log private but everyone and their dog wanted our logs public when we switch fro CR. So, when in Rome...

I'm touching your pants.

What do you do?
                      That's the thing...it totally depends. I've done 30 mile runs that have taken 13.5 hours (Hardrock 100 two weeks ago) and 30 mile runs that have taken 5 hours. 50 milers that take 10 hours, 50 milers that take 12, some take 16 hours, some 22 hours... and one 50 miler on tap for this fall that will probably take 30 hours, maybe longer (but it will summit 32 mountains in the process). It all depends on the course. Altitude and elevation gain, along with how technical the trail is (or if there is even a trail) make a much bigger difference out here (Colorado). I've done 25 milers on the plains around my house (elev 5500') that are 4-ish hour trail runs with minimal elevation gain (1-2000' gain) and 25 mile high alpine traverses that never touch a trail, require and ice axe and crampons for parts of it, never drop below 12,000', involve semi-technical Class 4 rock scrambling, filtering water from snowmelt, travel at night, difficult route finding, have more than 10,000' of elevation gain, and they take 18+ hours. As an example: Over a 9 day period last week I "ran" 158 miles, but it involved 41.5 hours of total running. If I did that on flat paved roads at my typical 8:30 min/mi average for a long flat run, it would have been 293 miles. That's a big difference! The difference is the elevation gain (32,300' of gain over that 9-day period), the terrain (mostly very steep, very rocky trails), and the altitude (more than 80% of the time above 10,000'). Nearly all of my training is about time on feet. In mountain running, the terrain is so varied that mileage is a horrible way to track (in an of itself) training. It's only part of the equation, a relatively small part. Admittedly, for 99.999% of the population, it's a fine gauge of training load. I (and AKTrails too, I suspect) am just weird. Tongue - Chris Here's an example of a 18 mile "run" that took 11+ hours Smile:
                      JakeKnight

Wow.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Tracie

Omg. Smile Where is that in the photo?

Think Whirled Peas

Dude.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What ridge is that? Also, why do you classify it as a "run"?
                                cgerber, that is A....Mazing! Wow. You're living the Discovery Channel.