Training for trail stage race question? (Read 301 times)

Runner

I'm looking for some experiences people have had with stage races. I am thinking of doing one in June and don't know how to go about training for it as opposed to other distance races. It is 3 days consisting of 22, 18, and 20 miles in consecutive days(Rock Creek Stage race in Chattanooga). I'm thinking that I should do the same as I did for my 50 by doing some longish 20-24 trail runs but then follow it up w/ 10 to 15 the next day. Any advice would be appreciated.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

xor

Your approach is great. Get your mileage as high as your body and schedule will allow... then start doing long run doubles (two long runs in two days)... try to find a way to get a triple long run sequence done once or twice between now and then *if possible*. If not possible, the doubles will help a lot. Eat a lot. Fueling for doubles and triples is the hardest part for me.