Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Not even close.

e.g., "The peak amplitude of the vertical reaction force in walking and running increased with speed from approximately 1.0 to 1.5 b.w. and 2.0 to 2.9 b.w. respectively."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2782094

That's pretty typical, see also

http://demotu.org/pralados60/files/2011/05/Ounpuu94running.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/170004715/Boot-vs-Shing-Aview

Well at least somebody is trying to discuss the science of running....

But princess, you miss your own point of the studies you post. I'll fully agree with you that being a mid or forefoot landing runner lowers impact forces in landing. But of course what you can't back up, because the science doesn't exist, is the argument its more efficient.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24002340

http://jap.physiology.org/content/early/2013/05/13/japplphysiol.01437.2012.short

Biology is simple; that the calf muscle fires six times per gait cycle with a forefoot or midfoot landing. And the final firing in push off is after being fatigued from firing twice beforehand.

In contrast, the calf muscle plays no role in landing mechanics for a heel strike runner and therefore only fires twice per gait cycle and fires only for push off.

The energy cost of a forefoot landing also shortens stride length and therefore increased the firing rate per mile of every muscle in a runner's legs.

By what definition of moron logic is a forefoot landing more efficient to utilize??????

Oh wait, this is what happens when people who have never studied biomechanics think they're knowledgeable enough to advise other people. Its similar to people who aren't psychiatrists and have never met me in person thinking they can "diagnose" me from the self absorbed content of how they interpret what I write.

Better yet, that if you think you have the educational capacity to deem me of inferior intellectual capacity, then one first has to prove themselves being of superior intellectual capacity.

Therefore if you think I'm crazy, then please cite the legal definition of the word intelligent and tell me how it applies to you...

Having been sent to psychiatrists on multiple occasions, I can assure all of you internet idiots that your attempts to discredit me personally are only fuel to my laughing even harder with your pathetic need to feel superior, since your science can't do it...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Having been sent to psychiatrists on multiple occasions...

Things are so much clearer now.

GC100k

Well at least somebody is trying to discuss the science of running....

But princess, you miss your own point of the studies you post. I'll fully agree with you that being a mid or forefoot landing runner lowers impact forces in landing.

I said nothing about forefoot or rearfoot landing and don't give a rip about it.  I just pointed out that the numbers you posted were nowhere near the real numbers, whether midfoot or heel.

I never claimed to be intelligent nor did I say anything about you being crazy, although your hostile non sequitur response might be making a case.

Don't you ever change Robert, we love you just the way you are.

Ostrich runner

Narcissistic personality disorder is pretty apparent, but I'd also suggest a comorbidity of histrionic personality disorder. Nonetheless, a village in the Netherlands just called, and it wants its idiot back.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

But princess,

But I thought I was the princess or was it X or ....  So who is the crown princess and what's my number in line for the crown?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I said nothing about forefoot or rearfoot landing and don't give a rip about it.  I just pointed out that the numbers you posted were nowhere near the real numbers, whether midfoot or heel.

"peak-to-peak force increased about 2 times with speed in walking and about 2-4 times in running"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2782094

Since the above quote is from the study you linked in your original response, I suggest you actually read what you post.

Oh wait, that would require intelligence....

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Narcissistic personality disorder is pretty apparent, but I'd also suggest a comorbidity of histrionic personality disorder. Nonetheless, a village in the Netherlands just called, and it wants its idiot back.

I disagee. There's no way they want him back.

MTA: But perhaps we could insist upon it.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Wow....

And what certification qualifies you to make such pathetically unsubstantiated claims about someone you've never met???

Oh, its the same delusions of grandeur which compel internet idiots to think they know more about people who actually have taken the time to study the best athletes in the world...

GC100k

I bolded the parts of the sentence you left out

The anteroposterior peak force and mediolateral

"peak-to-peak force increased about 2 times with speed in walking and about 2-4 times in running" 

(the absolute values were on average about 10 times smaller than the vertical)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2782094

Since the above quote is from the study you linked in your original response, I suggest you actually read what you post.

Oh wait, that would require intelligence....

You said the impact forces were 2 x bodyweight for walking and 4 x bodyweight for running.  The sentence you just partially quoted says the front-to-back and sideways forces vary by factors of 2 to 4 as you change speeds but are about one-tenth of what the vertical forces are.  These forces have nothing to do with the impact forces and are in any case an order of magnitude smaller.  So are you saying these are the impact forces you were talking about (which would make no sense)?  If so, then you're not off by a factor of 2 but are off by a factor of 20.

xhristopher

Ostrich runner

Wow....

And what certification qualifies you to make such pathetically unsubstantiated claims about someone you've never met???

Oh, its the same delusions of grandeur which compel internet idiots to think they know more about people who actually have taken the time to study the best athletes in the world...

Who needs certifications? You give us all the "substance" anyone could need. You can't form a coherent sentence, much less innovate in any field of study.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

Just curious.  How many of the people on here that you are calling an idiot, moron, etc., have you actually met?

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Just curious.  How many of the people on here that you are calling an idiot, moron, etc., have you actually met?

To be fair, he was replying to a post that diagnosed him with a psychological illness.

Prince of Fatness

To be fair, he was replying to a post that diagnosed him with a psychological illness.

Yeah, I know.  I was just critiquing the double standard aspect of it.  Seems to me that he is criticizing folks for some of the very same things that he does (albeit it regarding different topics), which is not uncommon.  But yeah point noted.

Not at it at all. 

GC100k

He called me an idiot when I was on his side and hadn't said a negative word about him.  He also says Alberto Salazar is an idiot, so I'm in good company.