Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

Turbolegs

I got stuck trying to figure out what women carrying stuff on their heads has to do with running 42kms quickly ...

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

To be fair, he was replying to a post that diagnosed him with a psychological illness.

Idiot, moron, and imbecile had, and may still have, psychological and legal definitions.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I got stuck trying to figure out what women carrying stuff on their heads has to do with running 42kms quickly ...

Its a question of biology;

Horses don't run very fast, but they do run for 100 mile races.

A cheetah can run 70+MPH,  but can only do it for 100 meters.

Can you explain the difference in running technique between a cat and a horse since they both have four legs.

To answer your question, you run like a horse, while Kenyans run like cats...

How do the women carry the weight so efficiently? Easy; they mimic how cats walk and run.

Learn the difference between the two techniques, then you to could run 20% faster...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Its a question of biology;

Can you explain the difference in running technique between a cat and a horse since they both have four legs.

Learn the difference between the two techniques, then you to could run 20% faster...

Yes, it's called anatomy.  Study the bio-mechanics between the two and you will understand they are built significantly different.  It's like saying if you put all terrain tires on a corvette that you can expect to offroad just as well as a 4WD truck.

GC100k

To answer your question, you run like a horse, while Kenyans run like cats...

In summary, horses have endurance while cats have explosiveness.  We humans run like horses, so we have endurance, while Kenyans, which are apparently a difference species, run like cats, so they have speed but no endurance, which explains why they dominate distance running.  And the fact that some Kenyan women (and scores of other cultures but we'll ignore them) carry things on their heads makes the men run faster.  And 20%, there's always a 20% in there somewhere.

Understand now?  If you do, you understand Sport Jester science.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

In summary, horses have endurance while cats have explosiveness.  We humans run like horses, so we have endurance, while Kenyans, which are apparently a difference species, run like cats, so they have speed but no endurance, which explains why they dominate distance running.  And the fact that some Kenyan women (and scores of other cultures but we'll ignore them) carry things on their heads makes the men run faster.  And 20%, there's always a 20% in there somewhere.

Understand now?  If you do, you understand Sport Jester science.

No, its not a difference of endurance or explosiveness. Since you have no education in animal biomechanics at all, your reply was laughable at best. Which means you don't understand my logic either.

What you miss in reference is that both athletes have four legs. Yet while each gallop, they do so with completely different running mechanics. It was to understand the differences between their techniques which was my catalyst to work with a race horse trainer.

You have to remember, that for top speed, while a thoroughbred is fast in mile length events, its the Arabians which race the 100 mile plus endurance races. Understanding the biomechanic differences between the two breeds of horses is what I know you can't explain while I can.

Its not just the difference between cats and horses, even among the same species separate biomechanic techniques exist. And in researching technique differences in each species better explains the difference between the elite in distance running events and those who trail them.

Simply put, Kenyans run like thoroughbreds, while you're taught to run like a Paso Fino.

The two techniques have vastly different goals. Kenyans run for peak speed, while you run for optimum comfort. And while the Paso Fino is an admirable breed of horse recognized for its riding pleasures, they've never won the Kentucky Derby.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Kittyface

Tragic hip

Sport jester, what is your education in biomechanics?

GC100k

Since you have no education in animal biomechanics at all, your reply was laughable at best. Which means you don't understand my logic either.

How many degrees do you have in biomechanics and how many classes have you taken?.  Are you going to make up some numbers or pick out irrelevant quotes from an article and claim they say something they don't?

So now Kenyans are horses too. I see.  Are thoroughbreds cats and Arabians horses? Or vice-versa?

And I run for comfort? If you say so.  I've always thought I ran for speed even though my speed is slow.  I had no idea it was supposed to be comfortable.  I also hadn't noticed that both horses and cats have four legs.  Who'd a thunk it?

So don't go with a comfortable, smooth low-impact stride, go with a bouncy...  Wait, Arabians have never won the Kentucky Derby either.  I know we're not supposed to be Paso Finos, but are we supposed to be thoroughbreds or Arabians?  No, we're supposed to be cats.  Or are we?

The only way to solve this is to set up a race between a thoroughbred, a Paso Fino, an Arabian, a cheetah, some other cat, a human, a Kenyan, a Kenyan woman with a pot on her head, a T Rex, an Ostrich, a Navy Seal, and a Praying Mantis.  We'll measure their efficiency and whoever has the best efficiency is obviously the winner of the race.

SJ, have you considered crowdfunding to substantiate your claims?  even though you've probably fucked-off 99% of the on-line running community over the years in one way or another, if you put together reasonably coherent proposals (avoiding excessive usage of 'princess', 'idiot', '20%' etc.), perhaps a tiny proportion of those peep's inherent curiosity would lead to you getting the amount you need to finally back up your assertions.

a long shot, granted, but you don't seem you have many other 'outs' in this respect.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Sport jester, what is your education in biomechanics?

I'm educated enough to have figured out the standing conundrum of the field.  Which for the last three decades has been to explain how the women of Kenya are able to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure. I'm the first person in ability to describe, mimic, and teach it. Which is a feat nobody else in the field has done.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

sport jester

Biomimeticist

How many degrees do you have in biomechanics and how many classes have you taken?.  Are you going to make up some numbers or pick out irrelevant quotes from an article and claim they say something they don't?

So now Kenyans are horses too. I see.  Are thoroughbreds cats and Arabians horses? Or vice-versa?

And I run for comfort? If you say so.  I've always thought I ran for speed even though my speed is slow.  I had no idea it was supposed to be comfortable.  I also hadn't noticed that both horses and cats have four legs.  Who'd a thunk it?

So don't go with a comfortable, smooth low-impact stride, go with a bouncy...  Wait, Arabians have never won the Kentucky Derby either.  I know we're not supposed to be Paso Finos, but are we supposed to be thoroughbreds or Arabians?  No, we're supposed to be cats.  Or are we?

The only way to solve this is to set up a race between a thoroughbred, a Paso Fino, an Arabian, a cheetah, some other cat, a human, a Kenyan, a Kenyan woman with a pot on her head, a T Rex, an Ostrich, a Navy Seal, and a Praying Mantis.  We'll measure their efficiency and whoever has the best efficiency is obviously the winner of the race.

I describe the difference in this way;. Thoroughbreds run with optimum stride length, while the Paso Fino is a high turnover rate gait.

It was in search of a an answer to the standing debate of whether or not peak speed is attained through longer strides or higher turnover rates.

That was the question I put to Tom ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Ivers) in asking him to describe the difference in running principles from a horse trainer's perspective. Thoroughbreds run for optimum stride length, while the Paso Fino is bred specifically for its high turnover rate skills.

I also use a race car metaphor; that if the question is endurance auto racing, the winners are using diesel engines, not gasoline ones. In the racing field, power is applied by one of two ways, torque or horsepower. Humans utilizing a high turnover rate (RPM) of their body do so at the cost of torque generation. And the race winners are applying maximum torque instead.

You have to remember that the running media has a target market of reader's who buy their issues with the hopes of completing a marathon race, not winning it. So their 180 step turnover promotion is simply to teach you how to do it. The only benefit of the 180 step rate is that it shortens your stride with the same speed cost it does for equine athletes.

The difference in application to humans is no different, their pinnacle goal of either species is the lesson that peak speed is a byproduct of longer stride lengths in the runner, not higher turnover rates as coaches preach.

Even cockroaches know that...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2051129

Kittyface

Tragic hip

I'm educated enough to have figured out the standing conundrum of the field.  Which for the last three decades has been to explain how the women of Kenya are able to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure. I'm the first person in ability to describe, mimic, and teach it. Which is a feat nobody else in the field has done.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

This is a non-answer. You get annoyed when people don't answer your questions.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thoroughbreds run with optimum stride length

The difference in application to humans is no different, their pinnacle goal of either species is the lesson that peak speed is a byproduct of longer stride lengths in the runner, not higher turnover rates as coaches preach.

What is optimum stride length for humans?

Elites run at the 180 strides per minute rate (obviously with longer strides). Would you recommend I run with a lower cadence but longer stride (since I obviously can't do both at the same level as the elites)?

**Ask me about streaking**

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This part looks like the most promising idea yet, and the most likely to be crowd-fundable.

(Except I marked out the part that I think we should drop.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

This part looks like the most promising idea yet, and the most likely to be crowd-fundable.

(Except I marked out the part that I think we should drop.)

The standard measure of efficiency from the biology perspective is quite readily accepted, its the measure in time ratio to the athlete's ability to cover its body length. Given that's what science measures, the true winner isn't on the list.

The current (given new species discoveries) is the Tiger Beetle, whereas in human size ratio would be running at 200+MPH