training for a 10k question (Read 865 times)

My prewash:)

I was wondering what would be the longest run you would need to incorporate into training 10k? Also for those of you that adhere to the 3 day/cross training program, how do you space those out and when is your rest day? I appreciate the insight. I am a fitness instructor at the local Y and teach a weight lifting class 3 times a week so I am finding a balance challenging time wise as well as fighting muscle soreness most days.

"Carpe Diem"

I'm no expert here.....so while reading anything I say, consider the source......BUT, I think this is a very open ended question. If you are talking about a first timer, trying to simply complete a 10K, then I would personally recommend running up to 5 or 6 miles once per week with 3 or 4 mile runs during the week. If your a runner trying to race and train for a 10K, JEFF GALLOWAY recommends 17 miles training runs of the weekends. So this answer really depends on what you are trying to really accomplish.........finish and not feel like CRUD, or race and set a PR or win your age group.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

So this answer really depends on what you are trying to really accomplish.....
        +1. If you just want to finish without walking then you are already more than capable of that.

Runners run

Are you looking to race at 10K or just go the distance? For a beginner looking to survive, 6-7 miles would be fine. For racing, you'd probably want your long run up in the 10-12 range (at least). Hal Higdon is a good place to start http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm
          MM# 1477
            I'd say about 90-100 minutes. You can run for 2 hours or a little longer every once in a while, but to me the fatigue is just not worth the marginal benefit for the 10k, and I'd rather spend my quality days on more race-specific training. The important thing is that you train at your level. If you read some training schedule that says to run 15 miles for your long run every week, you have to think of who that training schedule was written for and how it applies to you. For an elite runner, a 15 mile easy run takes 90 minutes. For a beginning runner, it may take two and a half hours. While each runner is doing the same distance, they are doing completely different workouts in physiological terms. To run for two and a half hour is a significantly taxing workout that had better have a direct race-specific objective, and I don't know if a 10k runner has a whole lot of business doing that, especially not every week. The other important thing to remember is that JEFF GALLOWAY is a moron.
            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
              The other important thing to remember is that JEFF GALLOWAY is a moron.
              I'm not sure he is a moron. He may be a little slow, but mostly in predefined intervals.
                I'm pretty sure he is. His books and his website are full of conflicting and outdated advice, outright lies, and completely inbalanced training schedules. It's like when you have a conversation with a random old guy, and he stopped making sense five minutes ago, but just kept rambling. That's Jeff Galloway. I'm not one of those guys who will say that you're not a real runner if you do walk breaks, or train with the goal of finishing a race. It's just that Galloway is not a reliable source of information. MTA: sorry to derail
                For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

Right on Hereford...

#artbydmcbride

Jeff Galloway competed at the Olympics! And his PRs kick your PRs's asses! Big grin

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

◘ Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, andResults, by Matt Fitzgerald ◘ Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, by Brad Hudson (with Matt Fitzgerald) ◘ Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes: Taking Traditional Sports Nutrition to the Next Level, by Bob Seebohar from nonoruns

Runners run

Jeff Galloway competed at the Olympics! And his PRs kick your PRs's asses! Big grin
                        Yeah I'm sure when he ran those PRs he was running 25 mile long runs with walk breaks, on 35 mile weeks just like he says elite runners should do.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

◘ Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, andResults, by Matt Fitzgerald ◘ Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, by Brad Hudson (with Matt Fitzgerald) ◘ Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes: Taking Traditional Sports Nutrition to the Next Level, by Bob Seebohar from nonoruns
                          I also recommend my book, How to Underachieve through Inconsistency. If you can handle the vulgarity and all the pictures of Scout's mom, it's a crackling good read.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, by Brad Hudson (with Matt Fitzgerald)
                            I purchased this book about a month or so ago.....and its really good....Very informative and something I would recommend to anyone that is floating along and wants to really improve his/her speed....... Jeff Galloway has helped more runners learn to run then just about anyone....don't think I could call anyone that is as accomplished as he is a moron.......Might not agree with everything that he says, but he has an approach and I think its a good one. I incorporate a lot of Jeff Galloway's principles in my runs (especially the Run/Walk/Run method for the longer weekend run).... I think you hear/read what lots of people/coaches have to say and take what you think YOU can use from any and create your running plan......I think Jeff Galloway is 'A-OK'....

Hey Folks! I'm A-OK!

Your pretty funny Tanya Big grin Big grin