What are some Hard Marathons to run? (Read 3850 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok I was searching through the Garmin reports to see what marathons were hilly. I found a few but I know there are some worse ones. Let’s see those “Ugly” Garmin reports. Mercedes Marathon – Birmingham Alabama – Those hills look stupid! http://tinyurl.com/MercedesMarry Pikes Peak - + 10000 feet of elevation change! http://tinyurl.com/PikesPeak Boston doesn’t look to hard compared to the ones above! http://tinyurl.com/BostonMarry
    JakeKnight

I predict a visit from the monkey fairy. --------- If I needed Alabama, I'd be heading for Birmingham. That looks fun.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

xor

Mercedes isn't that hard, really. Moderate. Before we go further, it is EXTREMELY important to separate trail marathons from road marathons. There are many hard trail marathons. Some examples... Pikes Peak (the hardest I know of) Grand Tetons on Labor Day weekend Mid Mountain Marathon in Park City Leadville ROAD Marathons are different. Here are some hard ones off the top of my head: Crater Lake (my vote for the hardest road marathon in the US) Estes Park Grandfather Mountain Big Sur (not as hard as its rep, but plenty hard) Mt Desert Island in Maine (same... not as hard as its rep but plenty hard) Anyway, comparing trail marathons to road marathons is apples and yogurt. As for Monkey, I'll see if it goes on the Hard list for my book RealSoonNow. Incidentally, some races are hard for reasons other than hills. Heart of America in MO on Labor Day has some asskicker hills, but the weather is just brutally hot. Same with the Running with the Devil Marathon in the summer (less hills, though).

Lane

Are there any marathons that aren't hard to run?!?!?!?!
          mikeymike

They're all hard if you do them right.

Runners run

Jill_B

I fly.

Ok I was searching through the Garmin reports to see what marathons were hilly. I found a few but I know there are some worse ones. Let’s see those “Ugly” Garmin reports. Mercedes Marathon – Birmingham Alabama – Those hills look stupid! http://tinyurl.com/MercedesMarry Pikes Peak - + 10000 feet of elevation change! http://tinyurl.com/PikesPeak Boston doesn’t look to hard compared to the ones above! http://tinyurl.com/BostonMarry
              I ran the Birmingham 1/2 - it was hilly, but really fun actually. But what do I know, I've also run the Monkey Marathon.

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All to the same scale - Country Music - Boston - Flying Pig - Big Sur - Steamtown - Grandfather Mountain - Monkey - Chickamuaga Battlefield - Mercedes - ING Georgia - Tecumseh - NYC - Chicago - St. George - Top of Utah - Columbus - ING Miami - Huntsville Rocket City -
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Before we go further, it is EXTREMELY important to separate trail marathons from road marathons.
                  Agreed. Based on prior conversations about ROAD marathons: Here was MJ's ranked list, not sure why Estes Park is not on it - 1. GFM 2. HHFMM 3. H&M 4. HofA 5. Whidbey Island (2002-2007) 6. Crater Lake 7. Tupelo (85 to present) 8. Big Sur 9. Pocatello 10. Charlottesville We also had a discussion over on the Maniacs board. I posed the question last Fall. I asked, "what is the hilliest road marathon?" There was a lot of discussion and numerous marathons were named. These are listed alphabetically: - Arkansas Marathon - Catalina - Charlottesville - Crater Lake - Estes Park - Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey - Heart of America - Hogeye - Jan Juan Island - Mount Desert Island - Nisene Marks - Park City - Run with the Horses - Sedona - Whiskey Row Many of these are clearly not in the same category as Monkey or Grandfather. For example, San Juan Island and Charlottesville, while hilly, only have half the overall elevation change as Monkey. Crater Lake has a little less elevation change but is at elevation. SRL, I look forward to your thoughts on Monkey...
                  JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Trent, Thank you very much. That is precisely what I was looking for. I can’t believe that hill at Big Sur! Is that like 600 feet up in 1 mile? That is insane! I am going to have to try steamtown some day. I love downhill races! Is that a Boston Qualifier? Boy the Monkey looks like a roller coaster ride gone bad! How nice of the Mercedes race to put that tremendous hill right at mile 22. Then they let you fall off of it just before the finish. So I guess the next question is what is the flattest marathon? I ran Myrtle Beach last year and it only had 360 feet of total elevation gain. That didn’t stop me from crashing epically though! http://tinyurl.com/6ll23y
                    mikeymike

I can’t believe that hill at Big Sur! Is that like 600 feet up in 1 mile? That is insane!
                      Big Sur was my first marathon. It's more like 550 feet in 2.5 miles. It's a long, gradual climb to Hurricane Point but the view is spectacular and there are a few flatter parts to catch your breath along the way. The downhill on the other side is actually steeper but not too bad. I had a much harder time with the unrelenting rollers the rest of the way to the finish, and the fact that I was way undertrained...but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Runners run

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Wow Grandfather looked really tough this year. The temp was 80.6 for a max and the humidity was 100% for a max. It climbs 4715 feet and it descends 3662 feet. I guess the toughest part is that it ends at least 1000 feet above where it started. Here is a speed and elevation profile from somebody who must have been flying though!
                          Trent, I am going to have to try steamtown some day. I love downhill races! Is that a Boston Qualifier?
                          Yes. Any US marathon that is run on a USATF certified course is a Boston qualifier.
                            They're all hard if you do them right.
                            Well said.....and so so true......

Champions are made when no one is watching

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Yes. Any US marathon that is run on a USATF certified course is a Boston qualifier.
                              Wow, I didn’t realize that. I guess I should give a downhill course a try. I run much better downhill than I do up steep hills. All along I have been trying to qualify for Boston on the Charlotte Thunder Road course which is actually fairly hilly. The flying monkey has +3700 feet of elevation gain. Charlotte is not too far behind with 2915 feet of elevation gain. I might switch to the not so hilly “City of oaks” marathon. Most people think it is “Extremely” hilly but it only has 1800 feet of elevation gain. It sure looks like NC has some of the hilliest marathons!
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Total elevation change at Grandfather Mountain is lower than at Monkey. GFM climbs about 3000 - 3500 feet and drops about 1500 feet. The downhills are as tough as the ups.