Race HM and then rush to a graduation? (Read 76 times)

Seattle prattle

So, let's just say you try to fit both in.

And.... you win your age group!

And they announce that the award for each age group finisher is a free pair of running shoes of your choice at the local running store!

But you have to stick around to accept your award at the award ceremony.... about an hour after your finish - or you forfeit the award. Sad

In which case, you may as well just take some solace in the fact that your good friend's son just might go off to college and maybe you could make that graduation.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So, let's just say you try to fit both in.

And.... you win your age group!

And they announce that the award for each age group finisher is a free pair of running shoes of your choice at the local running store!

But you have to stick around to accept your award at the award ceremony.... about an hour after your finish - or you forfeit the award. Sad

In which case, you may as well just take some solace in the fact that your good friend's son just might go off to college and maybe you could make that graduation.

Any decent race organiser would post the shoes if a winner couldn’t wait an hour after finish time.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Seattle prattle

Any decent race organiser would post the shoes if a winner couldn’t wait an hour after finish time.

Well, what if it's a prize pie, and it's your favorite flavor?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with those who would do it, but one other thing:  Have you discussed this with your friend? Do you already know she would feel disappointed or slighted if you ran it, or is she the type of person who would say by all means do it, it's not a big deal to her?

DavePNW

There are different types of “friendship”.... the fact that the OP is posting on here makes me think they aren’t best buddies. ๐Ÿคจ

Well she refers to her as a “close friend”, so I’m just going to go ahead and assume they’re close friends. I can’t imagine going to a HS graduation for someone who is not. Or even for someone who is, for that matter. Is that really a thing people do - go to other people’s kids’ graduations?

Dave

Seattle prattle

Well she refers to her as a “close friend”, so I’m just going to go ahead and assume they’re close friends. I can’t imagine going to a HS graduation for someone who is not. Or even for someone who is, for that matter. Is that really a thing people do - go to other people’s kids’ graduations?

Good point! Hell, I barely made it to my own graduation.

Maybe it;s something people do who are trying to get out of doing something else (you know, like an unpleasant endurance race that would take in excess of a couple of hours???).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well, what if it's a prize pie, and it's your favorite flavor?

I don’t eat pies, so I’d tell the RD to give it to the slowest fat finisher and make their day. ๐Ÿ‘

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Seattle prattle

I don’t eat pies, so I’d tell the RD to give it to the slowest fat finisher and make their day. ๐Ÿ‘

Well, have you ever won a pie? Because i have and even though I don't eat pies either, i did eat that pie. And i damned well enjoyed it.

I've got a photo of it and if I knew how to post it, I'd share it with you, so to speak.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well, have you ever won a pie? Because i have and even though I don't eat pies either, i did eat that pie. And i damned well enjoyed it.

I've got a photo of it and if I knew how to post it, I'd share it with you, so to speak.

You are starting to make me want to eat pies now!  And I don’t know how to post pics on here either.

Brilliant

Some of these replies are hilarious Smile. I'm glad I posted my dilemma.

She's a very close friend and wants me to be there. Her friendship is important to me.  It's a small school so it won't be one of those painfully long events with 1000 graduates (my son graduated from the same HS and it was a nice event).

After reading the comments and thinking about it more, I'm going to skip the race.  I don't think I would enjoy either the race or the graduation if I attempted this.  I was just hoping for a PR (2:06-ish) but that will have to happen another day.

Seattle prattle

Brilliant, all joking aside, glad that we could help in sorting that out.

I've always very much enjoyed the post-race vibe and it's not just a social thing. It helps me stay anchored to the whole running experience and probably has a lot to do with how committed I am to train through the coming days and months until the next race.

Good luck with it all.

mikeymike

Tomorrow in honor of this thread I'm going to get up early and run a hilly 13.1-ish miles before my daughter's college graduation. We have to be there at 10 and we're staying like a mile from campus so I'm confident I can pull this off, probably without even causing any undue angst for my wife.

I shall name it the Brilliant Half Marathon!

Runners run

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

The most upsetting thing about this thread is that someone doesn’t like pie.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

an amazing likeness

The most upsetting thing about this thread is that someone doesn’t like pie.

IKR...pie for AG best awards ever!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

DavePNW

IKR.

+1.

Pie is awesome, award pie even better. The first time I won a pie, it was a Turkey Trot, and it was a store-bought pumpkin pie. My wife had already made her own, which was of course much better. The race pie was actually pretty awful, but to me, it tasted like victory. Although after a couple slices of victory, we got rid of it, because it was really that. The next year I did the same race, and one of my kids said “you’re not going to bring home another one of those crappy pumpkin pies again, are you?” Which made me kind of sad, since I certainly hoped I would. And I did. This time we gave it away immediately. But I am still in love with the concept of race pie.

Dave