400 Meter Track. Questions on measurements (Read 10111 times)

Question: Does anyone know what the distance of each lane on a 400m track is? As I understand it the very inside line of lane 1 is 400m. How far are you running in lane 2 or 3? In the latest Runner's world they mention that running in the outside lane is 40-50m longer than the inside one. The reason I am asking is because I would like to practice my marathon pacing on a track and have feedback on my pace on every lap. My pacing is going to be based on min/mi and since 400m is not the same as 0.25mi, I would like to know which lane is closer to a quarter of a mile. I suspect it is lane 2 or 3. In other words if 4 X 400m lane 1 =1600m, 4 X lane ? = 1609m (1 mi) Does anyone know for sure?
    The right path is my path.
    mikeymike

Lane 1 will be closest to a quarter mile. Someone will post a link to a site that gives you the distance of each lane, I'm sure, but 400m is only about 2+ meters shy of a quarter. But really the track is the last place I'd practice marathon pace.

Runners run

wyerock

If you can run on the inside lane, I wouldn't concern myself to that level of detail for a marathon pace. I think lane 2 will be even further off from a quarter mile. 9 meters per mile is 0.56% difference. On an 8 minute mile, you'd only be off 2.7 seconds. MTA: I think 3 laps in lane 1 and a 4th lap in lane 2 will get you the closest.

an amazing likeness

Here's a link to one of the calculators MikeyMike mentions, there are others (google "track lane calculator"): http://www.eracewalk.com/CalcTrac.htm

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://www.eracewalk.com/CalcTrac.htm MTA: Ah, you beat me by seconds, Milktruck! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

On an 8 minute mile, you'd only be off 2.7 seconds.
              Thats my point. On lane 2 how off would you be? Sorry to nitpick I am just really curious.
                Here's a link to one of the calculators MikeyMike mentions, there are others (google "track lane calculator"): http://www.eracewalk.com/CalcTrac.htm
                Thanks everyone. That is just what I was looking for! Smile
                wyerock

Thats my point. On lane 2 how off would you be?
                  This site http://www.csgnetwork.com/disttracklanecalc.html says lane two would be almost 408 m using their default values.
                  JimR

I believe standard lane width per IAAF regs is 1.22 meters. Get out your calculator and go from that.

A Saucy Wench

But really the track is the last place I'd practice marathon pace.
                      +500 Is your marathon flat as a pancake with tight unbanked turns?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thats my point. On lane 2 how off would you be? Sorry to nitpick I am just really curious.
                        If you run exactly 4 laps on a 400m track, you'll cover 0.994 miles in lane one, and 1.011mi in lane 2. So lane 1 is closest to exactly 1 mile. As far as how many seconds, that depends on how fast you're running. Pace / lane1/ lane2 5:00 / -1.8 / +3.3 10:00 / -3.6 / +6.6 i.e. you're 1.8 sec short of a mile at 5:00 pace in lane one, and 3.3 seconds too long in lane 2, etc.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

+500 Is your marathon flat as a pancake with tight unbanked turns?
                          I am only using the track to practice holding the exact pace that I want. Just to get used to the feeling. I use a track because I can check in on my pace on every lap. I do my main training on the streets. I just like to run a few miles on a track now and then to check in on how consistant my pace is... You know? Ok. I am satisfied. Thanks for all the replies!

Why is it sideways?

Lane 7 on most tracks is almost exactly 10% long, which makes it easy to calculate splits. If you are looking for 100 second laps, then you run 110's in lane 7. Looking for 80? It's 88's!

A Saucy Wench

If you run exactly 4 laps on a 400m track, you'll cover 0.994 miles in lane one, and 1.011mi in lane 2. So lane 1 is closest to exactly 1 mile. As far as how many seconds, that depends on how fast you're running. Pace / lane1/ lane2 5:00 / -1.8 / +3.3 10:00 / -3.6 / +6.6 i.e. you're 1.8 sec short of a mile at 5:00 pace in lane one, and 3.3 seconds too long in lane 2, etc.
                              So run 2 1/2 laps in lane 1 and then drift out for the last 1 1/2 in lane 2 That is a mile to 4 significant digits. Plus you'll have to pick it up slightly the last lap which is always fun. I usually run in lane 7 for speedwork as Jeff mentions. Partially because at my track they block the first 4 lanes to preserve the surface for the actual track meets. At marathon pace it doesnt matter if you run 1 mile or 1.1 miles. Only that you calculate what it is you want per lap. The track calculators can tell you that for any lane.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Run on the lane line between 1 & 2 should be about closest. That way, you'll also develop the skilz to follow the marathon tangent line. Assuming your marathon has one. I'm sure no one will mind. Also, don't run too late in the day. Tracks tend to expand from the sun's warmth.