Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 1006 times)

alevansal

You can export from Garmin Connect and upload to RA.  That's what I'm doing for the time being.  A pain, but it works.

tomatolover

You can export from Garmin Connect and upload to RA.  That's what I'm doing for the time being.  A pain, but it works.

Can you explain how to do this? Do you export to CSV?  Then what? It doesn't save as a file....more like a lot of text.

Finally: is there a way to batch upload doing it this way?

Thanks!

TJoseph

I am using Garmin Express with a 910XT.  Garmin Express is caching the .fit files locally on my Windows 8.1 computer in the following location and I am able to upload the data by file.

CUndecidedProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Unknown ANT Device-3853436058

an amazing likeness

Can you explain how to do this? Do you export to CSV?  Then what? It doesn't save as a file....more like a lot of text.

Thanks!

Go to Garmin Connect in you web browser (connect.garmin.com)  (<--only making this clear to avoid any confusion w/Garmin Training Center)

• Analyze Tab --> Activities
          • Click on Activity Name to select the activity from your Garmin Connect activity list
          • Click on Export in the toolbar, just above the map upper left corner
          • Select the TCX option and save the file on your PC

In RunningAhead...

• Got to your training log here and use the Upload GPS Data -> Upload data From File

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tomatolover

thanks milk truck....i got to the place where it says TCX files, but it's only for 1 activity...do you have to do this for each one or is there a way to "select all" and upload them  TCX from file?

an amazing likeness

One at a time as far as I know. I'd guess it is safe to assume Garmin doesn't want to make it easy for you to get your data off their platform.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tomatolover

ok, I thought so but was hoping for something far less redundant ....my love/hate with Garmin continues.....grrrrrr

flauta

Hi all,

Not much progress has been made in the negotiation front because Garmin said everything is non-negotiable.  There are several concerning issues that I can't mention without revealing specifics.  One issue involves the wording in the contract that might cause RA to violate the contract by simply integrating with the API.  Garmin responded by saying I have to take a leap of faith that Garmin won't act on these issues and that companies have accepted the same terms.  Being in the same boat is no solace that the boat can sink at any moment without warning.

I am left with two bad choices: hope that Garmin would not revoke the license on a whim, or not add this feature.  One means I might lose the $5,000 the day Garmin cashes it even if I did nothing.  The other means RA can't compete effectively.  I understand companies' desire to protect themselves, but the way this contract was written, the one sidedness ensures Garmin reaps all the benefits while RA shoulders all the risks.

eric Smile

As a huge fan and heavy user of of RA, I do feel that it is worth weighing in on this.  I totally understand your concerns, and they sound well-founded.  Having said that, I think it is strongly in RA's long-term interest to be compatible with Garmin devices (and other manufacturer's).  If you were to ask me, I would urge to find a way to get comfortable with whatever is the best deal you can negotiate with Garmin and move forward on it.   As always, thanks for all the work you do for RA.

aolesins

I've been using RA for almost 8 years now, and just completed subscription + small donation.

Please add this feature,as Garmin is trying to force people to move to connect since they just dropped support for creating workouts from "classic" view, which worked together with ant. Living without RA is hard to even think aboutWink

For the time being u can still upload workouts almost painlessly, when u uninstall garmin connect and stick with old ant stick and garmin plugin.

Keep up the great work!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Living without RA is hard to even think aboutWink

Pretty sure I'd live with out Garmin connect before dropping Running ahead 

steph  

Runner Mike

Thanks!

There is an easier way that manually do things.

You can use https://tapiriik.com/.

Tapiriik pulls the data from Garmin connect and can deliver it automatically ($2/year) to a number of sites.  One of the places it can deliver is to a dropbox account. from there you can upload.

I don't know if the powers that be have looked at using tapiriik to tie garmin (and other data) to RA or if it can be done. I know that tapiriik is open source.

jroquebert

There is an easier way that manually do things.

You can use https://tapiriik.com/.

Tapiriik pulls the data from Garmin connect and can deliver it automatically ($2/year) to a number of sites.  One of the places it can deliver is to a dropbox account. from there you can upload.

I don't know if the powers that be have looked at using tapiriik to tie garmin (and other data) to RA or if it can be done. I know that tapiriik is open source.

This is a good idea, I hope Eric looks at the option of working with tapiriik so they can take care of the syncing to RA.

eric :)

Update: The Developer Program Manager at Garmin took offense of my frustration with their license agreement and apparently is refusing to talk to me, even though she recognizes my frustration and understands my concerns.  I don't know why she is front person in the  negotiations on a legal contract.  Wouldn't the legal department be better at addressing my concerns?

I am mulling over my options.  I will reach out to her again.  One possible option would be to invest the license fee into creating a standalone app to download workouts directly from the GPS.  Feel free to add your thoughts here.

eric Smile

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I like that option.

Of course, I'm currently downloading (importing) .fit files directly from my Garmin 220. Not sure how an app would be any more whiz-bang than that - but I'm confident you'll find a way! 

Liz

pace sera, sera

runjoelrun

Hi Eric,

I've been logging miles here since 2008 and hope to continue to do so forever.  I have two accounts, a personal one and a coaching one.

I hate that Garmin is being a dick about this. I am definitely in favor of finding a solution where they are not in complete control. However, that search and development will likely take a while and we really could use the API now. I just got a message in my browser stating Google Chrome isn't supporting Garmin Communicator any longer.  I turned to IE for now...

I use https://tapiriik.com/ to sync Garmin with my Strava and Runkeeper accounts (that i use just for social purposes) and it works well, but the developer, Collin Fair, seems to be wrestling with Garmin constantly, tweaking things as changes are made to the code. I'm thankful for his solution, and I've emailed him requesting that he add RA to the possible logs to sync with, but would not like to rely on this method as the primary way to transfer data.

There is something else to consider- Strava has issues with the Garmin FIT files. They cannot capture proper lap data. This is why I turned to Tapiriik. I wonder if this would be an issue for RA as well? https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/34489210

Your stand alone app idea- if it could pull all the data from my Garmin watch and upload it to RA, that seems fine. Would you not run into licensing issues that way? I'm not a developer so I don't know what would go into the development of something like this. But my priority is not that the data comes from GarminConnect, but that it is captured from my watch.  I rarely use GC other than for a data dump.

So, what am I suggesting? I think a short term solution would be prudent. If this app idea could be created in a short amount of time, go for it. If not, then once this thread raises $5000, hold your nose, curse to yourself (and to us), and hand it over to Garmin.

I'm currently training for Comrades so I just dropped $54 into the bucket here.

Thanks for all that you do.

Joel