Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 1006 times)

mikeymike

Also, I think a lot of the Garmin hate is misplaced. They are the dominant player in GPS sports watches because they make good products not because there's a gun to anyone's head to buy their watches.

They built an application at their own expense that makes it easy to suck all the data off their watch and send it up to their online tool for analysis/tracking/logging whatever. They make an API that lets 3rd party developers get a copy of that data automatically. I would expect any agreement around that process to be pretty one-sided and designed to protect Garmin and Garmin alone.

A lot of you seem to just not understand how business actually, you know, works.

Runners run

eric :)

This API replaced the previous API, which allowed any developer to access user data free of charge.  Its license agreement had only one sentence that went something like "Go forth and do great things."

The $5,000 is just the cost of doing business.  I recognize that the license is designed to protect Garmin.  It's in every company's interest to do the exact thing.  The license is worded in such a way that I might violate the contract by using the API.  There are several other problems.  The least they can do is specify what I'm getting for the money.

It is my prerogative to protect RA by negotiate for more favorable terms.  It's part of doing business.  She terminated the negotiation on the basis of me expressing how I'm receiving a raw deal.  That is not now businesses work.

mikeymike

The $5,000 is just the cost of doing business.  I recognize that the license is designed to protect Garmin.  It's in every company's interest to do the exact thing.  The license is worded in such a way that I might violate the contract by using the API.  There are several other problems.  The least they can do is specify what I'm getting for the money.

It is my prerogative to protect RA by negotiate for more favorable terms.  It's part of doing business.  She terminated the negotiation on the basis of me expressing how I'm receiving a raw deal.  That is not now businesses work.

Eric, I totally and 100% agree. I was not referring to you. Clearly you have to do what's best for you and RA. And I'm not privy to any of the negotiations but my default stance is that you are right no matter what.

I was more speaking of the general undertone of anti-Garmin rumblings from the users and references to monopolistic behavior. I'm not really seeing that here.

The nature of the relationship has changed with the new API. The old API let applications pull data off the watch (or at least off the user's PC.) The new API lets applications pull users' data out of Garmin's cloud. Obviously there's a lot that goes into that on Garmin's side, including data privacy laws that are always changing.

MTA: Obviously the only reason for RA to do Garmin Connect integration is that it's a short cut to getting users data from their watches. Garmin Connect is a cloud based application that Garmin built for it's customers to store and analyze their data. They also built several mechanisms for getting their customers' data from its watches into its cloud, including mobile apps for Android and iOS and the Express application for Windows and Mac. The biggest (only?) benefit of the API is it means you don't have to worry about the hardware anymore at all, but clearly there are strings attached.

A set of homegrown apps native to RA would be better, but clearly a lot more expensive to build and maintain.

Runners run

Hi Joel,

I have no ego.  My goal is to support Garmin devices.  If it requires groveling to achieve my objective, then that's what I'll do, if she can get over her indignation to read my emails.

Thank you for you donation.  I'm not sure how the money should be handled if it doesn't go to Garmin.

Jason:

I wrote a Windows application last year to upload data from your GPS directly to RA.  Aside from some minor bugs, the application works pretty well.  I wrote it in C++ so that the core code can be cross platform.  I'm not completely happy with the UI because UI work in C++ is not fun or pretty.  I haven't done much research on cross platform app development.

Then there's the problem of what to do about devices that only communicate with mobile devices?  I expect Garmin devices to bypass desktop computers altogether in a couple of years.

eric Smile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Jason:

I wrote a Windows application last year to upload data from your GPS directly to RA.  Aside from some minor bugs, the application works pretty well.  I wrote it in C++ so that the core code can be cross platform.  I'm not completely happy with the UI because UI work in C++ is not fun or pretty.  I haven't done much research on cross platform app development.

If you need a Beta tester for a FR610 on Windows7, let me know.  I run a VM just to pull from Garmin; could just as easily use your program.

(I'm not picky about UIs)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

If you need a Beta tester for a FR610 on Windows7, let me know.  I run a VM just to pull from Garmin; could just as easily use your program.

(I'm not picky about UIs)

Or I can help you create a Linux client.

On the direct-from-watch notion:

I pull data directly from my FR620. Until a couple days ago, I'd dock my FR620 to have it USB-connected to my PC; use the Upload From File option; navigate to the Activities subfolder on my device; then upload new activity files one by one. It's a PITA, but that's what's available.

My current option is to have IE open, solely to do the auto-upload without the above gymnastics. Chrome gave me a "no can do, chief" message, but IE worked (as of yesterday, anyway).

Suggestions:

1. If you had some way for me to set a default folder for the Upload From File to look in, that'd save some time.

2. If I could select multiple files and upload them in one shot, that'd be awesome.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

mikeymike

I'm not sure how the money should be handled if it doesn't go to Garmin.

The money I've sent to RA should be used for any and all RA related business, however RA sees fit, including paying its owner and developer for his time.

Runners run

BeeRunB

I'm not sure how the money should be handled if it doesn't go to Garmin.

eric Smile

Take RA out for drinks and finger food.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The money I've sent to RA should be used for any and all RA related business, however RA sees fit, including paying its owner and developer for his time.

+1

I mean, uhm, development of a Linux client for the uploader. Smile

Yeah, you're not suckering me into that; I'm taking figure drawing classes learning how to draw nude people right now; can't imagine how you'd entice me away from that.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

runnershawn

Second this

mp5f

I'm in for $36.20.  My subscription had probably run out a while ago, but I kept the ads on.  I appreciate the quality of the site as well as the forums even though I pretty much only lurk here.  Eric, the money is not tied to Garmin Connect but whatever you deem best.

And on that note, after another Garmin 610 crash and lost interval workout data, I want to replace it and preferably not with another Garmin.  Are there any recommendations for ease of use with RA?  I can deal with managing GPX (or whatever) files.  However, I'd prefer something that is more automatic because with more manual steps I tend to do several runs at once and then I forget details like which shoes I was wearing.  Thank you.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I prefer to manually enter runs. #StickIt2DaMan

Garmin not Eric

You people have issues 

DavePNW

I prefer to manually enter runs. #StickIt2DaMan

Garmin not Eric

In ink, in a ledger book. #howtheoldsdoit

Dave

flauta