Etiquette Question for Faster Runners (Read 1192 times)

Another Passion

I cannot begin to count the number of 'good job' 'you go girl' and even a 'keep it up hun' comments that I got from people (strangers) going the opposite direction. I've never had this happen before because I've not run a race with this kind of course set up before. I know it was painfully obvious I was bringing up the rear, and while I appreciated the comments, the sarcastic side of me wasn't so sure I liked being complimented for my perseverance. Wink But, I wanted to be gracious because I know everyone was just being nice, and I do appreciate the sentiment. So my question after all this rambling is - when a fast runner cheers on the slow runner in the middle of the race (while the fast runner is also still running), what is the appropriate response from the slow runner?
    Thanks, a smile, or a head nod I would think appropriate as others have mentioned. If you're feeling surly though and talked down to perhaps something like, "your shoe's untied", hoping for a look down and a resultant tumble? Modified to add: Nice job on the finish and in meeting ALL THREE of your race goals! That's awesome! Big grin

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great job on the race Jenn! Hopefully I wasn't one of those people that annoyed you by cheering you on this weekend. Wink I wasn't that much further ahead of you! And I was struggling through the last few miles. For what it's worth, I love getting cheered on...by anyone (faster runners, slower runners, volunteers, spectators, the voices in my head, etc.). I try to smile and say thanks. I try to cheer for anyone I know that I see in the race and I cheer when the fastest people when they blow past me (although I've never seen them smile or acknowledge my support). If I had the energy, I'd cheer for every single person in the whole race b/c I love receiving it so much! I'm totally going to be one of those awful annoying soccer moms that scream, shout and cheer through the whole game to the horror of my children. Big grin Sara
      pandajenn19

Great job on the race Jenn! Hopefully I wasn't one of those people that annoyed you by cheering you on this weekend. Wink I wasn't that much further ahead of you! And I was struggling through the last few miles.
        Goodness no! I was glad to see you at the race and you were sweet to spare a few words while you were running so hard. Smile You looked like you were doing great the times I saw you. Congrats on your time!!! I think I was more embarrassed than annoyed, really. I've never been last in a race before and being last for 10 miles (until I caught up with a few stragglers) was really hard on my ego. Good for training, because it's providing a lot of motivation to do better. But still had me feeling a bit sheepish when random strangers (not you, Sara) were telling me I was doing a good job. The side of me that is really hard on myself wanted to disagree. Big grin
          I always appreciate when someone passing me cheers me on. I don't usually say much, but if I can I'll squeak out a thank you.

Michelle

I think I was more embarrassed than annoyed, really. I've never been last in a race before and being last for 10 miles (until I caught up with a few stragglers) was really hard on my ego. Good for training, because it's providing a lot of motivation to do better. But still had me feeling a bit sheepish when random strangers (not you, Sara) were telling me I was doing a good job. The side of me that is really hard on myself wanted to disagree. Big grin
            I completely understand. I ran this Frostbite Series last year and quickly realized that these races were not for the "average runner." These people are serious - and seriously fast. Last year I was at the very end of every one of them that I ran and it was frustrating. At least in big races there will always be people that are slower than you, which is reassuring. Not so much in these really small local races. I'm constantly embarrassed about the number of high school kids and little old women that pass me like I'm standing still! No matter where you finished, you still did a great job and you should be really proud of yourself.

Another Passion

Running is relative... relative to you... and BOTH you ladies did awesome! Congrats! I was in the bottom 20% of the finishers of a 10 miler a couple of weeks ago, but I finished well for me. That's all that I cared about. Great job ladies! Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I usually try to give the thumbs up. Seems to be a universal "good intention" gesture. About coming in last (or in your case, not coming in last). Several years ago (circa late 1980s) in Runners World, there was an article about the "Caboose Club". If you had documentation of a last place finish either in you AG or overall, you could send that in and receive membership to the Caboose Club. At the time I qualified both ways, so I sent the race reports in and got a certificate. I had it hanging on the wall for years, but now I don't know where it is. I was as proud of that accomplishment as anyother award I've received.... You gotta find celebration in all that life offers. Good luck!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  From one slow runner to another, whenever someone gives me words of encouragement,I make sure that I acknowledge them with a smile or a wave and that's about it. To me it's non-offensive. I mean we are running a race after all and I don't know about others but when I'm out there, making words are a low priority on my list. Clowning around
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                    Any kind of acknowledgement is great, or you could tell the person what place they're in, or "First female" or something like that. On out & back courses I don't always cheer people behind me just because I'm usually working pretty hard (as are they), but if someone makes the effort to make eye contact or says something I'll give them a wave or something, so the reverse should be true if I say/do something to someone behind me. Not that I'm towards the front of the pack of many races, but the etiquette should be the same in both directions. But - don't be insulted if the person doesn't acknowledge your salutation because they could be very focused and not hear or see your greeting, or their acknowledgement could be a weak wave if they're limited on energy!

Why is it sideways?

This thread covered the topic from the other perspective. I think that the best approach to race etiquette is not to worry about it too much because it gets easily wrapped up with and confused by feelings of competitiveness.
                      milkbaby

I like the universal "GOOD JOB" whether I am behind you, in front of you, greeting you with it, or replying to you! "Good job" doesn't refer only to time and placing but can also be the simple acknowledgement that you are out there running instead of sleeping in or loafing on the sofa. As far as "etiquette" goes, I don't think you necessarily need to reply to everybody, as everybody knows you are running in a race which can be serious business. If you can manage a smile, wave, or just "thanks" that would be considered friendly, but I think it is beyond and above what's actually necessary.
                        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                          I guess it depends on the races or something, but in ultrarunning, EVERYONE cheers on everyone else. I had Scott Jurek step off the trail and yell and clap as I ran by him on the trail during an ultra last summer (he was going the other way). It's a pretty friendly subset of running though... I love it and thank them all... they are just being nice and encouraging me on, which is much appreciated.

Just Be

If you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?
                            I don't think a verbal response is necessary. Just smile at them. At least that's all I'm looking for in my case since I'm aware they may be breathing hard.
                              Does a grimace count as a smile?
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I enjoy cheering people on after I finish. I don't expect a response -- I mean, they're busy running a race, and putting their energy to that Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.