Emerald Across the Bay 12k -- race across the Golden Gate (Read 442 times)

AnneCA

I did the Emerald Across the Bay 12k this morning, from Sausalito, across the Golden Gate Bridge, and ending at Aquatic Park in San Francisco. It was the 26th year of the race (it was formerly known as the Houlihan's to Houlihan's), which is put on by Rhody Co., a local race company that really knows its stuff. It's also a championship race for the Pacific Coast US Track & Field, with cash prizes, so it gets a big turnout and a competitive field. Today was not such a great day for a race -- it was raining. But, at least it wasn't too cold or stormy. The race has a three-wave start, because on the GG Bridge it runs on the west sidewalk, which can't hold more than 4 abreast (and even that can be a tight fit at times). The starts were at 8:30, 8:45, and 9:00; I was in the second wave. The race runs shuttle buses from the finish line in SF over to Sausalito. There are lots of parking garages at the finish line (right by Ghirardelli Square), so this works well. After I parked, I was able to get on a bus right away for the 20 minute ride. When I got dropped of at Fort Baker in Sausalito, it was 7:45, raining steadily, and I had an hour to kill. I spent the first 20 minutes scouting out the start line area (finding sweatscheck, portapotties, etc.) and a bit of huddling under a tree wondering if my family was even out of bed yet. Then I spent a half hour warming up with slow jogs around Fort Baker, with stops to drop off sweats and use the potty. Note to self: garbage bags really look useful; pack one next rainy race. Lined up with second wave. The announcer was doing his best to keep folks enthusiastic in the rain, but at one point gave the incorrect time, saying it was 11 minutes to the wave start when it was in fact only five. Based on the collective roar from the crowd, I'd guess his life was in danger at that point. He quickly corrected himself. And we're off! The first mile was almost all downhill (my Garmin map is public in my log), with what would have been great views if we hadn't been so socked in by the weather. We had a two lane road all to ourselves through Fort Baker, so although there were a lot of people, it didn't feel crowded. Right before the mile two marker, we started the climb up to the Bridge, about 250 feet in a mile. You know what? I feel pretty good on hills. I'm not fast on them, but they don't freak me out, and I can get in a groove on them and feel strong (this is especially easy to say about the hills that come at mile two, right?). Still, I was happy to get to the Bridge deck. I missed the three-mile marker, but it must have been right after we got on the Bridge. I was too slow on the Bridge. Not sure why, but I didn't keep things moving enough for the 1.5 miles or so across. Running on the Bridge is nice, but: on the sidewalk, you can take the road side, in which case buses blow by you at 60 mph less than two feet away (you're separated by a solid barrier, but, still, I find it unnerving), or you can take the water side, as long as you don't have a fear of heights. I don't particularly, but still found that between the traffic and the drop, I tried to stick to the middle as much as I could. (the Garmin elevation readings are off on the Bridge portion of the course -- it's mostly flat, of course) As you come off the Bridge, you know it's pretty much downhill or flat the rest of the way. I did pick it up here. After you get down to water level, you have to do a Fort Point out-and-back. I've run a fair number of races on the SF waterfront, and have to say: I hate the Fort Point out-and-back. Every race has one, and I understand why. It's a race director's friend, because you can just do the turnaround wherever you want to get the mileage you need. It's dispiriting, though, a little spur thrown in there. In this race, you go all the way to the fort for the turnaround. From there, it's three miles straight along the waterfront back to Aquatic Park. I loved having the Garmin on lap pace here to make sure I kept it moving. At about 5.5 miles I was passed by someone with a third wave bib, a woman who was at least in my age group, cruising along and making it look easy, at least for the 30 seconds that she remained in my sight. Must've been a late registrant to have been in the third wave. At 6.5 miles, I passed some groups of people wearing first wave bibs. At 7 miles, there is one last climb over the Fort Mason hill and a steep downhill to the finish. I was confused by the 1:22 finish clock, until I remembered the wave start issue. My Garmin told me 1:07:34. This is my first non-PR race in a while. I'm enough of a beginner that I have become used to setting PRs, so it's a little sad to have missed one here, but I guess that's how it goes. I was, though, really close to my PR, set on a much flatter course. The finish area (goodie bags, sweats pickup) was a bit of a walk away, and by the time I got there, I was getting cold. Should've kept running! I ate lots of nuts --that's what you get for a race sponsored by Emerald Nuts -- and quickly headed out, windshield wipers steadily running. I'd definitely recommend the race to anyone in the area, and I'll be back in future years for sure. Maybe next year I'll have better luck on the weather!

Outside Lane

Great race report! Must be cool running over that bridge! Sorry the weather wasn't better for you, but it sounds like you had a great race. Way to go!

See how they run...

Way to go Anne, Having read your race reports before I thought you'd like this one. Too bad there wasn't better weather, but from what I heard it isn't wasn't really awful. I see you're still going very steady with your training. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get right back in the PR groove. I guess the Banana Chase is still tentative on the schedule. Maybe I'll bump into you again there this year if they have it. I don't know if you've ever run Zippy 5k but it's another good one. It will be in GG Park on Apr 19. Good luck in the months to come
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33