Definition of a Wuss (Read 1071 times)

I agree with Jake on the rain issue. It depends on how hard it is raining. I was scheduled for a run on Wednesday morning and I saw that it was going to rain, but I was planning to run outside anyhow. A torrential downpour woke me up at 4:50am and I knew that I was hitting the gym that morning. (similarly, I was supposed to run a half marathon during last year's Nor'easter...I started driving to the race and couldn't see a darn thing through my windsheild - that was the sign I needed to turn the car around and not run the race) Tomorrow morning I'm heading out for a 15 miler - it is supposed to be 40 degrees and light rain. I'm actually looking forward to it!
      I run through whatever Philly weather can up up with, which is typically isn't too extreem. (I used to live in Albany, NY, where winter sucked.) That said, if I were you I'd have trouble accepting the get out there an run from a guy who uses Colonel Kilgore as an avitar. Good movie, I'm just sayin'...
        Just run.
        Scout7

I run through whatever Philly weather can up up with, which is typically isn't too extreem. (I used to live in Albany, NY, where winter sucked.) That said, if I were you I'd have trouble accepting the get out there an run from a guy who uses Colonel Kilgore as an avitar. Good movie, I'm just sayin'...
          You live in Ardmore? I was in Ardmore until September last year. Moved to Havertown.
            I have run 22 miles in a massive downpour.... it was in the 80s
            I remember the 80s. The Royals were good, hair rock blared from the speakers of my Buick LeSabre, I had a cool mullet (although I think we called it a soccer cut), and I still had summer vacations. Good times. As far as running in the 40s with wind? Brrrrrrrr. Don't listen to these hardcore elites. That's crazy talk.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Scout7

I remember the 80s. The Royals were good, hair rock blared from the speakers of my Buick LeSabre, I had a cool mullet (although I think we called it a soccer cut), and I still had summer vacations. Good times. As far as running in the 40s with wind? Brrrrrrrr. Don't listen to these hardcore elites. That's crazy talk.
              That sounds like wussy accountant talk.

A Saucy Wench

I live in Oregon....that is PRIME running weather to me Big grin Seriously, if I didnt run in rain, I wouldnt run at all. WORSE - dh is a cyclist...we will look at the weather forecast for the weekend and plan that he gets the nicer day to ride in and I will take the rainier day to run. HTFU!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

That sounds like wussy accountant talk.
                  I can feel the jealousy. In fact, it's making me a bit uncomfortable.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Temps in the 40s? Sounds heavenly, even with wind and rain.
                      I agree with JK up there. I had my best 5K so far ( I have not run a 5K in about a year) in light rain. it was about 1 min faster than a flatter 5K a month earlier. Last week I got caught in a thunderstorm during a training run and I think I ran my best mile ever to get home before I got soaked. Once I got completely drenched I enjoyed the rest of the run thinking how badazz I was running through the storm (although it was a bit warmer at 50 degrees during the run).
                      JimR

Cold rain ain't fun to run in. I don't mind snow, I've run to as cold as it gets here (-20's C), warm rain's no big deal. Cold rain can be tough to deal with, it is the one condition I generally avoid if I'm going long.
                          Here's the weather forecast : 93% chance of rain, windy, cold- temps in the 40s
                          Damn, your forecast really nails it down to a specific percentage! I give you a 98% chance of being called a wuss if you don't run.
                          Kimmie

I really want you guys to express your feelings a little bit more.... seriously, don't hold back and tell me how you really feel. Ok, so the plan is to run tomorrow. Smile
                              If it helps, I'm about to suit up for 6 miles in the pouring rain. It's 41.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ears and hands. If those are warm/protected from the wind, you'll be fine.
                                Need to follow my own advice. Just finished a run in windy 41°F weather and I'd forgotten my headband/ear cover (left it at home). Frickin' run sucked.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.