Heart rate zones (Read 1009 times)

Functionality to create heart rate zones - basically another calculator or something inside Options - with the ability to name and adjust them after the calculator does it's thing.  Then use those zones when printing a graph of heart rate data from an activity.

eric :)

The displaying of the heart rate zones should be simple enough, but how does one calculate the zones?

Should just be some settings to allow each user to define their own heart rate zones.  There are some generic formulas that are based on age, activity level, etc....   But most people that train with heart rate will already know what there zones are.  It would also be nice to have sport specific zones, ie different zones for running vs biking.  Also there are 5 zones (not sure how much you know about training with heart rate).

Eric - here's a very simple way to do it http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp  Let the user enter a resting heart rate and a max heart rate, then calculate simple percentages from there, and finally let the user override.  There are more complicated formulas, but this article has a pretty good overview of a way to get started with the calculation of zones.  I agree with the other forum post that the user should be able to override defaults created by a formula.  One thing to consider, is that some of the other sites out there allow an option to have different heart rate zones by activity.  For example, running is one set of zones, biking is another set of zones.  I'm not sure you need to be this detailed to start with, but it may not be that hard to setup that way either.  Basically - if users are getting started then just have one set of heart rate zones for all activities (e.g. a default) - if they want a different set of zones for a specific activity let them define another set of them.  Hope this helps, John

eric :)

The problem I am having with HR is the determination of max hr.  The standard x - age formula is unreliable at best.  I'm not sure if it's better to have wrong data is better than no data.

Bruland

Was this feature ever implemented? How do i do it?

The problem I am having with HR is the determination of max hr.  The standard x - age formula is unreliable at best.  I'm not sure if it's better to have wrong data is better than no data.

I would make the user enter one.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.