Boston Marathon is a Downhill Battle (Read 1113 times)

flovesparko

I found this article interesting. Since I haven't run Boston, I don't know if this is true or not. Do you Boston Marathon runners agree or disagree with this article? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124018868061633623.html
    DoppleBock

Nothing wrong with the article. Does not mean Boston is the easiest course - People do not flock their to try and set world records.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Well the facts in the article are not in dispute - it's a net downhill course that is point-to-point. I, personally, find it to be one of the 'easier' marathon courses I've run, despite Heartbreak Hill.
        kcam

Nothing wrong with the article. Does not mean Boston is the easiest course - People do not flock their to try and set world records.
          Probably because you CAN'T set a world record there, by definition. I'm wondering if elites at Boston pretty much run to win the race - meaning a tactical race not meant to produce a blistering time?

Best Present Ever

A friend of mine said that he found Boston to be an easier course than the National Marathon in DC. I thought the National was relatively flat, so I was surprised.
              I have not run a marathon, so my experience may not apply, but I find a rolling/hilly course much easier mentally than a flat course. May not be faster but a hilly course gives me some mini targets like get up to the top of this hill and you can coast for a while.
                Tell anyone that ran it this year, its easier because of the downhill. The headwind this year was pretty stout. The downhills beat your legs up, if you go out to fast. I want a redo on that course. From heartbreak home is down hill to flat and great if you are feeling good. I think the late start affected me more than the hills. Crowds are the best of any marathon I've done.

Get off my porch

Back in the day when I ran Boston my coach had us do downhill intervals to prepare. Long downhills were not easy to find in Dallas, and we had to drive north to find a suitable place. We would run the downhills and walk or jog back up. This helped prepare because the downhill in Boston really do tear your legs up. Same with St. George, Utah.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Probably because you CAN'T set a world record there, by definition. I'm wondering if elites at Boston pretty much run to win the race - meaning a tactical race not meant to produce a blistering time?
                    It sure looked like that is what the women were doing this year didn't it?!
                    mikeymike

That's not much of an article, and there's not much to disagree with. It is a net downhill course. And it is point-to-point. It's not a fast course though--elites would gladly grab the bonus for a coure record if they could. The fact that it's not WR eligible doesn't mean people aren't running it as fast as they can most years. And while the point-to-point nature of the course meas you can get a tailwind, it means you can also get a 26 mile headwind like we had this year. Good times indeed.

Runners run

bap

6 successive world records were set at Boston between 1989-95.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

mikeymike

6 successive world records were set at Boston between 1989-95.
                          In what event?

Runners run

bap

In what event?
                            Women's wheelchair Big grin

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013

coastwalker

The first 6-7 miles of the BM course are a gentle downhill. However, if your legs aren't ready for that much downhill or if you go out too fast, as others have said, you quads will feel like rocks by the time you get to the uphills. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

milkbaby

I think I've just not had the luck of ever running an easy marathon course, but to me Boston is not a hard course. There's always the argument that there is no such thing as an "easy" 26.2 mile course! Wink
                                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura