Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Bandit. It is what it is. You can justify it however you like, but it still makes you a bandit.
    +1
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Best Present Ever

Ok, ok, ok. I see the consensus of the early responders is clearly, and somewhat sanctimoniously, bandit. To answer Rick's question of why it's safer with lots of people, the cars can more easily see that they need to slow down with a good number of people out -- they may come come flying down a country road unaware that there is a lone runner around the next curve, but if there are a few hundred folks in the same stretch of road, they at least have a heads up that it would be good to slow down and drive carefully. For what it's worth, I'm a good running citizen who pays local running club dues, sets out water for group runs, volunteers at packet pickup, & cheers at races I'm not running (including at this very one last year, complete with specially burned CD of good running music and kids with cowbells. Runners are runners, you know?) Shoot, I don't even drop my GU packets in the road. And I've never been annoyed by non-racers who happen to be running along part of a race course Smile

ultramarathon/triathlete

Bandit, but I say do it. If there aren't any bandits, then the word becomes useless Wink

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Best Present Ever

Bandit, but I say do it. If there aren't any bandits, then the word becomes useless Wink
          Hmmm, is that true for , say, "pirates" as well? you made me laugh, which I appreciate, but I see some logical difficulties with this as an argument ....
          xor

Ok, ok, ok. I see the consensus of the early responders is clearly, and somewhat sanctimoniously, bandit.
            You asked the question. I like ennay's wording best, and it doesn't sound sanctimonious to me. You are. You can justify this for yourself if you like (and I'm not making a judgment... we are faced with choices like this all the time, tis life), but the definition of 'bandit' is not complex and your situation fits. You are on the race course during the race and you haven't paid. The whys and wherefores associated with not paying are fine considerations, but it is what it is.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Sanctimonious?" I don't think so. Your action would fit the definition of "banditry" perfectly, however you try to rationalize it.
              KMB

Bandit? Yup. Would it stop me? Perhaps not. Did this for profit company receive any bailout money? yes = go for it. The organizers (profiteers) are not good people? Have screwed you or people that matter to you? yes = go for it. more seriously though... I wouldnt do it for a few reasons (and I used to bandit races in college plenty)... i'd have a lot of people in my running club to answer to and I dont need that grief; your best stick it to em strategy is to not give them your money and share the reasons with your running club members... heck share the reasons with them (In this economy to be running a for profit race on the backs of the local citizens who have supported blah blah blah). The last thing an RD wants is people bad mouthing their race. As further evidence of my moral bankruptcy, I have also burned copies of an album I downloaded on itunes and given them to friends. they (the friends) however did then purchase the band's next cd and go to their show when they came to town.

Hey, nice marmot!

Specifically, it depends on how you want to define the term "bandit" (duh, that's the title of the post!). The most common definition of bandit is "one who participates in a race (or in a portion of a race) without paying the registeration fee". So, under that definition and by your own admission, what you described intially would constitute banditing a race. I think the reason behind your question is more along the lines of "why is banditing wrong?" Your sticking point seems to be the fact that if a race doesn't pay to have any of the roads closed, simply running along a portion of the public, open course with other runners isn't really "stealing" from the race. If the race were to have paid to have the roads closed, and you ran on those roads and benefited from those closures without helping to offset costs incurred by the race, then there would be no question. But, can you really steal something that isn't being provided? It's an interesting question and I don't think it's as simplistic as many have interpreted it. Then again, IMHO you probably could have framed it better. I suppose banditing is wrong for two reasons. Theft being the more obvious reason. However, in the scenario you've painted, you could make a decent arguement that you're not really stealing anything, given the specific race conditions you've described. The second reason I think banditing is wrong is the safety and liability aspect and I don't think you can get around that, even in the race you've described. Who's liable if you fall down and injure yourself? What happens if you fall and knock yourself unconscious? Who's liable if you accidently cause the injury of registered runner? These issues are a little tougher to get around, even in a race with minimal support. Either way, interesting question.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Why is it sideways?

If you do bandit, then run like you stole something.
                      I have a different angle on this. A local club puts on a 5K series on trails our running group runs on often. These trails were established and are maintained by another biking club, to which some in our group belong. Assuming this club putting on the race does not pay the bike club or help with the trail maintenance (not sure if this is the case, just hypothetical). Now if the racers are on our course who is banditing? I welcome these races as I might run it sometime, but a question for the sake of argument I guess.
                      mikeymike

If a mouse pisses on cotton, who hears it? Who hears it?

Runners run

xor

Define Pi... Oh wait we went through this once before didn't we

A Saucy Wench

I suppose banditing is wrong for two reasons. Theft being the more obvious reason. However, in the scenario you've painted, you could make a decent arguement that you're not really stealing anything, given the specific race conditions you've described. The second reason I think banditing is wrong is the safety and liability aspect and I don't think you can get around that, even in the race you've described. Who's liable if you fall down and injure yourself? What happens if you fall and knock yourself unconscious? Who's liable if you accidently cause the injury of registered runner? These issues are a little tougher to get around, even in a race with minimal support. Either way, interesting question.
                              Ahhh but the question was not one of rightness or wrongness. Simply of being.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Why is it sideways?

Ahhh but the question was not one of rightness or wrongness. Simply of being.
                                Heidegger : ontology :: Ennay : banditing