What you do after running 51 marathons in 50 states in 50 days (Read 691 times)

xor

As many of you know, a fellow named Sam Thompson ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days in 2006. And if you are saying "wait, didn't Dean do this?" Yes, he did. With a movie crew. But Sam did it first. Plus he ran a spare in DC... so 51 in 50 in 50. Anyway, my man Sam (he actually lives in my neighborhood) has done some interesting/weird stuff since then. Including today's fun. He's running to every branch of our library system. No, really. 27 branches and 60+ miles. He tried this in December, but it was during our big snowstorm and he had to bag it at 50 miles. The trick is that he is stopping at each one to get his card stamped, and so he has to do it before the libraries close at 8p. Local newspaper story. And while he's serious about running and in this case supporting the library system, YES, it is understood that this is, shall we say, goofy. He is one of those folks that makes you say "that's one nice guy", even if you only meet him for a sec.

holy crap that's so awesome! that you have so many libraries so close! ha ha. no really, that's cool. i guess he would get bored after doing all that heh. Shocked

De-slacking in progress

Big deal- I can do that everyday with our library system. We have only one in the entire COUNTY Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

My legs are killing me

I think Sam deserves to sleep in tomorrow.
            Loved that story. I had to forward the link to my Mom who is a librarian.
            xor

Sad, well they made it 60 miles... but only managed 25 out of 27 libraries before the clock struck 8. (interestingly, they were crewed by a friend... who is an ultrarunning librarian. hehe)

Sad, well they made it 60 miles... but only managed 25 out of 27 libraries before the clock struck 8.
                I hope he doesn't consider himself as a failure for only making it 60 miles....
                xor

I hope he doesn't consider himself as a failure for only making it 60 miles....
                  No chance of that. I bet he tries again when he gets the time.

Queen of 3rd Place

That's just one of those mind-boggling things I can't absorb. Wonderful stuff.

Ex runner

bhearn

Is it just me, or is this anything but the shortest route? Sure, the Traveling Salesman Problem is NP-complete, but for N = 12...
                      xor

NP complete. Awesome. It perhaps isn't the shortest route, and I have no idea exactly how he decided on it. I do know that 1) he lives near the start, so that's fun, 2) I *think* his wife works near the finish, though there were probably other considerations in choosing montlake for the finish, and 3) he's basically "corridor-ed" I-5 by trying to visit stuff on one side, cutting over down south, and coming back... there are traffic considerations... plus limited places to actually cross I-5 reasonably (although not THAT limited). Oh, also there are limited ways to get across that gash of water you see under 5 and 4 (and over 12). He chose the Ballard Bridge to get from 5 to 6 probably because that gave him easiest access to the west seattle bridge and west seattle where 6 and 7 are (edited to add: ignore this piece; that isn't west seattle). It's not just traveling salesman, but also traveling salesman where the different paths between nodes would have different weights/scores/strengths that change with time to reflect traffic patterns during the day. Assuming he really needed to start at 1 and finish at 12, that seems a pretty reasonable route to me. Optimal? Hard for say. Also, from Sam's perspective, it wasn't N=12. That's just the 'time points' that the paper chose for the pretty graphic. It was really N=27. Knowing the locations of the missing 15 library branches might adjust your view of shortest path choices.

bhearn

Assuming he really needed to start at 1 and finish at 12, that seems a pretty reasonable route to me. Optimal? Hard for say.
                          Well my question was, why not go 7 -> 12 -> 11 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10? That seems a lot shorter, and if the goal is just to hit them all, then maybe the added constraint of specifying the start and finish just makes it too hard. But as you point out...
                          Also, from Sam's perspective, it wasn't N=12. That's just the 'time points' that the paper chose for the pretty graphic. It was really N=27. Knowing the locations of the missing 15 library branches might adjust your view of shortest path choices.
                          Ah right, silly me. No doubt it would look quite different.
                          xor

Yeah. One other thing that hasn't come up is dealing with the hills. Without getting into too much detail, the right (east) side of I-5 is a series of hills. Cutting over too much from west to east would require evil hill climbs each time. For example, that route from 10 back to 11 follows the long crest of what's known as Beacon Hill (where Amazon's HQ is) and then down/over to First Hill (11) and over to the other side of Capitol Hill (10). Going from 7 to 8 and then continuing south would be easier hill-wise than going from 7 (or 8) over to 12... and then coming up again from 9 to 10. It's more complicated than that AND I know that Sam and Jonathan have no fear of hills... but that's something that I'd factor in if it was my game. (and that's the grossly simplified version. Turns out that 7, Queen Anne, is the highest hill in Seattle) You have made me want to go crack open Hopcroft and Ullman again, though. "Just for fun."

Sam Thompson is one of my running stories for motivation. He is not as glamorous as Dean has become but has accomplished some great runs. He is from this state I live in currently (Mississippi). I have heard him speak and talked with him a time or 2. He is truly a great guy and is more my type of runner.It is clearly obvious thathe chose to do it in the order he did to get the mileage to the point that it wold be a challenging run. The other directions would simply makeit less of a challenge. That is the type of runner and guy he is. He is constantly pushing himself. He answer the question why with to see if I can.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Former runner

I'll have to map that out for our local library system. We only have 13 branches plus the main library but I bet it would cover a decent amount of miles.

Ross