What is a reasonable cost for a HM? (Read 827 times)

This does seem on the high side unless you think you can cram in $40 or $50 worth of champagne and chocolates. But check the reviews online - last year they ran out of chocolate! I think the relationship between price and attendance is complex though. Make the price high and people believe they are getting something special. Alameda had a long running (pun intended) 10k race to benefit the local parks that was pretty cheap and I believe was canceled last year due to declining numbers! I think the Big Sur half marathon (the half that is actually in Monterey not Big Sur) is about the same price ($85) but without the champagne and chocolates. But they did have beer and the course has amazing coastal scenery. John
    Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Both the ones that I have looked at are in the $30 range. The only one that I know of that is that high is the half marathon of Grandma's. There they are paying out big $$ to winners, blocking off main streets, etc.
        The 5ks around here are $20 for cheap and $30 for high priced. If they have a good race and refreshments I will pay $30 sometimes. For half marathon it is a little higher. I think the rate is around $45. EDIT to add I just checked this years price Lansing half marathon is between $35 and $55 depending on when you register.
          Seems expensive to me, but I haven't run one in a long time. Most of my 50 milers cost $50-80... so that price for 13 miles seems high. I'm exceedingly cheap though. Smile
          DoppleBock

Badgerland striders (Milwaukee) do great events for runners - No frills - You get a ribbon just like grade school if you place. They have simple food afterward and always free beer. But their prices are getting ridiculous - It used to be $5 in advance for the 1/2 marathon and they raised it to $8 - thats a 60% price increase - They get 600-700 runners (Not a great turnout for milwaukee) I am 90 minutes north - My local 1/2 (Oshkosh) charges $30-$50 - get a t-shirt (I could care less) will get > 1,000 for a much smaller population area. I have no idea what the difference is - Advertising? They do have better free beer! One is put on by a runner club the other is put on my a professional race organizer. The other local - Green Bay is part of a race festival and charges $50-$95 - Even better free beer + Brats, but even early registration is getting out of hand ... and yet theywill get 4,000 for the 1/2M

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Imminent Catastrophe

CMM HM is like $100.
              That's an Elite Racing event. They are all overpriced. (Elite Racing puts on the "music" events--Rock & Roll XXX, Country Music, etc.)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

That's an Elite Racing event. They are all overpriced. (Elite Racing puts on the "music" events--Rock & Roll XXX, Country Music, etc.)
                I know, I was considering RNR Seattle HM because a lot of RA'ers will be there, but it is like $90-100 for the HM. Shocked

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I know, I was considering RNR Seattle HM because a lot of RA'ers will be there, but it is like $90-100 for the HM. Shocked
                  But the memories! The memories!

I just sent in the money for a hundred miler and it was $150. There must be some kind of volume discount on the miles.

Imminent Catastrophe

You should bandit.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

anneb

That's weird, I think RNR Chicago HM was only like $45-50? Maybe I had a discount code or something. $100 is way too much $$.

Anne

Slow Runner

I don't think I would even pay $85 for a full marathon. Most I'd fork out on a half is $50...And that would be with decent swag....
                          Rundadrun27

The HM I'm registered for cost me $65cdn. I think that's around $50usd. If I can collect a minimum of $210, they will reimburse my $65 registration. I guess it all depends on the individual and how much they're willing to pay.
                            xor

That's weird, I think RNR Chicago HM was only like $45-50? Maybe I had a discount code or something. $100 is way too much $$.
                              The price for the seattle rnr race is pretty compatible with other rnr halves that are 2-3 months away. Chicago is currently $70, but will "only" be $95 at the last minute. This is actually a last minute bargain in Elite Running terms. That said, I bet $45 was the first day price or you did indeed have a big discount.

When it was called the Chicago Distance Classic last year, it was $55. Now that its called the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, its $75-$95 -- despite being on the same day & likely same course. Those apostrophes don't pay for themselves.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.