sore. everywhere. after 5k (Read 862 times)

Finished!

Wierdness - this didn't happen last yr, and it certainly has never happened after a normal "training" run - the only think I can think is I'm not as conditioned this yr (not surprising seeing as I've been benched a good portion of the yr and still relegated to mostly treadmill training) Anyhow, I went and wogged a 5k this weekend - walked around afterwards, though didn't really stretch (I usually don't) went home, had a nice hot shower...had a nice lunch followed by an even nicer nap...and then woke up and everything felt sore. Quads sore, calves sore, abs sore! Sore as in muscle soreness/tightness - I'm still working it out today. What the heck happened?! This surely isn't "normal" is it?
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Did you eat anything afterwards?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

It can be. I'm willing to bet that you pushed yourself harder than before, and used some muscles that don't always get the workout they did for the race.

Finished!

I'm still hobbled with tight muscles today! And yes, I did eat - I had gatorade, a breakfast burrito (small with sausage, egg and potatoes) and fresh fruit...Too much carb, not enough protein?
          Walk + Jog = wog.

Dog-Love

I agree with Scout...Try running (and mean it) intervals in a couple of weeks and you should feel it the day after and the day after that. I think its good to give your body a dose of harder running. I love my easy trail runs but I run a lot faster on short races.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Finished!

Scout & Crabby, I bet you guys are right - I realized that my training runs are really really slow. Like Cold Molasses slow (I've been attempting low HR training because of the damage I inflicted on myself last yr while running all my training runs inadvertently at tempo). My 5k pace worked out to be 5 minutes or so faster than my training runs. And since I'm essentially still recovering from the injury, I've only been running what I supposed would be considered "easy" runs while I try to build up conditioning and stamina. the Low HR training still has be having to slow to a walk every now and again to maintain my HR in the designated zone.
              Walk + Jog = wog.