diabetic runner training for 1st marathon (Read 537 times)

gator

My doctor just told me that I had to cut back on my carbs because my blood work showed that my sugar count was too high. He said that i need to live the next 4 weeks like a diabetic until my next blood check. How do I continue to train without carbo loding? I fear that my blood sugar levels wlll get too high. Any suggestions for sugar free or low sugar carbs?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

By definition, carbs are not "sugar free" since carbs are made of sugars. Your goal should be to eat complex carbs only. Examples include whole grain breads, pastas and brown or wild rices. Stay away from white flour, sugar and all junk foods. While marathon training, you should not need to carb load, you should only need carbs for your hard workouts. And so you can match carb intake to big efforts. Your base miles (i.e., anything other than your long runs or strength workouts) can be run with few carbs if you take them at a low effort.

The voice of mile 18

type 2 diabetic checking in. did thedoc give you a home meter to check your sugars or just advice to cut your carbs? can you talk w/ a nutritionist about this or are you on your own? eating carbs w/ protien and/or fat will help lower a sugar spike. but it takes a little trial and error on your own w/ a blood meter. know some diabetic athletes like hammergel because you can control the amount of simple carbs in it. also check the diabetic runner user group here for more info

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

"live like a diabetic for the next 4 weeks" hehe... as a diabetic, that line kind of cracks me up. Trent's advice is spot on, though. I AM a diabetic, but I eat plenty of carbs. I try to make certain they're the right kinds of carbs and - more important since you're training for a marathon - the big carb days are on big run days. That being said, there are a couple things you would do if you were diabetic, that you might not do now: 1) If you drink regular soda, switch to diet. 2) If you put sugar in your tea or coffee, switch to a substitute. 3) Avoid fruit juice - there are many less-carby ways to get these vitamins. Aside from these "rules," I tend to eat according to my workouts.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

As a type 2 diabetic myself i might have some input on how to "live like a diabetic". Ok you need a donkey, a tub of lard and a stripper pole...crap twins are crying get back with you laterSmile Seriously the above advice is right on only thing I would add is potatos where always my downfall. try and limit your potato consumption if you are a meat and potatos kinda guy.