65yo woman runs 5:51 mile (Read 133 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

click

She's also recently run 800m in 2:44 and 3000m in 11:53.

I like the sensible and attainable nature of her training.  It's balanced and moderate.

Martin leaves the writing of her training program to Gross, 73, who got his wife started in the sport 35 years ago. They take a year-round approach and hardly vary the emphasis from month to month, choosing to keep most weeks a mix of speed, strength, and distance so Martin is always prepared to race well at events of any length.

She typically logs between 35 and 40 weekly miles in six sessions, with a long run of up to 12 miles. And most weeks Gross will put Martin through a pair of workouts. One is usually longer intervals—either 1K repeats on the track or treadmill or several three-quarter mile road repeats on a route that has a significant uphill section.

The second weekly workout is a mix of shorter intervals. Martin also cross trains once a week and fits in a session of “functional training” with a personal trainer into her busy schedule as a realtor.

“Functional training means just keeping the body moving the way it’s supposed to move,” Martin said. “My tightest area is the hips, so we focus on that. You can’t just run; you have to do some cross training, I think, to do well.”

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow! Very cool! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

monensin

she IS amazing. i've run in the same track race w/her a few times- leaves me in the dust & i'm 20 years younger.  nice woman, too- doesn't have a big ego.

BeeRunB

Yup. I'm certain of it now...the universe is mocking me.

(good for her--wow)

robin from maine

I think quite a few of us 65 year olds already know about Kathy Martin