Doping in Distance Running (Read 979 times)

MrH

Even when money isn't on the line, a small percentage of amateurs will dope. A few folks have been caught in Masters track and field now that they are testing at major championships. And there were some competitors in their 40s and 50s had quite unnatural physiques.

As for the mental gymnastics ... ESPN just did a segment on the '88 Olympic 100m final. The only ones who come across as honest in these programs are the dopers who admit it now. What's apparent is that senior officials in the USOC at the time covered up many failed tests and provided guidance to athletes on how to pass through masking agents and when to stop doping.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

As for the mental gymnastics ... ESPN just did a segment on the '88 Olympic 100m final. The only ones who come across as honest in these programs are the dopers who admit it now. What's apparent is that senior officials in the USOC at the time covered up many failed tests and provided guidance to athletes on how to pass through masking agents and when to stop doping.

Yes, 1984 was an interesting Olympic Games... Lots of cover up and training for athletes to avoid detection. Sad, and interesting that many of these 'hero's' were guilty. Great 30 for 30 episode though.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Link.

The confession is just a continuation of him thinking he is special, and trying to get a reduced ban from USADA.  There is nothing sincere here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

northernman

Fight The Future

Even when money isn't on the line, a small percentage of amateurs will dope. A few folks have been caught in Masters track and field now that they are testing at major championships. And there were some competitors in their 40s and 50s had quite unnatural physiques.

that sounds strange. Are all these dopers using epo, or are some on anabolic steroids? I wouldn't think epo would cause unnatural physiques (unless it can cause frontal bossing or other bone marrow expansion that distorts features.)??

DoppleBock

I think he got greedy / brash toward the end - He banged out a great Twin Cities Marathon

Although interesting enough - For many years Grandmas did not do testing -  

Not sure of all the races Hellebuyck did around that time, but he was busted on a test taken at or soon after the Olympic Marathon Trials...where he did stunningly well for a master's runner.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Seanv2

I hate him even more after seeing that photo in the RW story.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Easing into the finish chute in his Team USA jersey, Hesch stopped a foot away from the finish line, laid down on his stomach on the road, took a whiff of the asphalt centimeters from his nose and performed five push-ups, a pre-victory celebration.

With Lemma sprinting toward him, Hesch smiled and got back on his feet. He broke the finishing tape with his hands above his head.

Well, at least he's a humble guy.

Feeling the growl again

Well, at least he's a humble guy.

He posts on letsrun, and started a thread about himself with this.  Strikes 2 and 3.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

He posts on letsrun, and started a thread about himself with this.  Strikes 2 and 3.

Do pro athletes really post on letsrun? That in itself is kind of cool, but it seems like there is an inordinate ratio of trolls to helpful contributors nowadays. 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Do pro athletes really post on letsrun? That in itself is kind of cool, but it seems like there is an inordinate ratio of trolls to helpful contributors nowadays. 

Who can tell? Those boards are like an open sewer.

Who can tell? Those boards are like an open sewer.

I was thinking about the possibility of someone impersonating a known athlete; the accounts seem fairly unregulated.

Sometimes, I see shreds of valuable information on the boards but can't tell if the poster is really a runner or someone just plugging in BS stats. The same thing happens on on bodybuilding forums, though I suppose enormous pecs and biceps are harder to fake. 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Hawt and sexy

I was wondering when this place would pick up on this. I really don't know what to think. All the traveling required to dope could not have possibly been offset by winnings. I just don't understand the logic here. But it's odd that a sub-elite would even bother with doping, especially a person that has a personality that is quite flamboyant. I got nothing. It just makes no sense.

I'm touching your pants.

MrH

that sounds strange. Are all these dopers using epo, or are some on anabolic steroids? I wouldn't think epo would cause unnatural physiques (unless it can cause frontal bossing or other bone marrow expansion that distorts features.)??

Steroids.

Val Barnwell is one who was caught. I mentioned him in the thread about Armstrong:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/f9c530c49faf46a1ad424118d82d843d/8

This is Val as a 50 year old.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

I was wondering when this place would pick up on this. I really don't know what to think. All the traveling required to dope could not have possibly been offset by winnings. I just don't understand the logic here. But it's odd that a sub-elite would even bother with doping, especially a person that has a personality that is quite flamboyant. I got nothing. It just makes no sense.

Driving to Tijuana takes about 2 hours.

But I agree, traveling all over the U.S. to race even for $500 winnings is pretty dumb.  Maybe he still lives at home.

Runners run

It may not be about the money, it may be about winning.

I used to race vintage sports cars- it is amazing how many people will spend $20,000 to win an $8 plastic trophy!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.