More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You win.  You are the better runner and the smarter person.  Your dick is also bigger.

Big grin  Enjoy your run.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

xor

I know nothing about your injury history, you were the one who brought it up.

My reference was that you were commented on your lousy technique by a ChiRunning runner, and given that its a documented less efficient way to run, was my observation to the discussion.

Please link me to where I brought up my injury history, especially anything whatsoever to do with my ACLs.  I have brought up a few injuries before... was it another thread?  I ask because you threw into this thread that I'm a pathetic fool who blew out his ACL.  My ACL is fine.

And please explain when/were "I was commented on (my) lousy technique by a chirunning runner".

Seriously, practically everything you've said in this thread has been weird, but this one is a special kind of weird.  If you are confusing me with someone else, I'd at least understand that.  Otherwise, dude, wtf. 

That request is open to EVERYBODY, btw.  It was previously explained that perhaps Copernicus meant the ACL thing generically... but no, he is referring to specific thing that has to do with me.  ???  What did I miss?

Off to run.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I never made the statement in any PM

no food or water for the previous three days

If I'm going to do this, I want it to be as equal as possible with equal energy amounts available to both of us in a controlled environment. If I did it, it would be to write an article or publish a study about it. I don't have any ego to validate. I train runners, military personnel, and now an entire football team.

I have no ego that needs validation.

My interest is to see who could accomplish the 100 miles first, or who could travel the furthest on the same amount of energy. And if you won, I'd be more than willing to give props for doing it.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

No, you didn't.  I agree that wasn't in the PM. You wrote that on page 14 of this very thread.

Feeling the growl again

Having spent time testing and validating what I teach with Nike's sports research lab

Publications?  Citations?  

Salazar is quite known for trying fairly innovative ideas no one else puts the resources into trying, in affiliation with Nike.  If he turned and walked away from you it was for good reason.

Asking questions that can't be answered doesn't mean your smart, it means you are not very good and phrasing your questions so that they may me scientifically investigated.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Yes to your quote of "pathetic fools like you"I meant ACL tear in the generic term of shoe wearing athletes,

I did not specifically mean you as an individual. My mistake, my apologies for the misunderstood implication.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Ok.  Well what you actually wrote was subtly different ("Cultures that have never worn shoes don't tear their ACL's like a pathetic fool like you")

Now, about the chirunning thing ("My reference was that you were commented on your lousy technique by a ChiRunning runner,").  Where did you get that?  Are you confusing me with northernman?  spaniel?  Noah?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Publications?  Citations?  

Salazar is quite known for trying fairly innovative ideas no one else puts the resources into trying, in affiliation with Nike.  If he turned and walked away from you it was for good reason.

Asking questions that can't be answered doesn't mean your smart, it means you are not very good and phrasing your questions so that they may me scientifically investigated.

Given fact that multiple runners of a variety of ability were documented to run with an average 20% decrease in heart rate for identical speed, one would think that Salazar would be open to learning.

While on paper, that sounds logical, however reality is that (since you have probably never run for him) his ego is at a much higher level than even yours is. I asked him specifically to tell me what in my technique he could improve. If he really wanted to prove his superior knowledge of running he could have at least spent 30 seconds giving me one example if it were possible to do.

He was given the mandate and unlimited funds to take the Boston crown from Kenyans. Hence the Oregon Project, a custom house sealed to recreate high altitide adaptation. Except if he would have asked the High Alititude Research Clinic for the military, he would have learned that barometric adaptation is more important than simply low oxygen levels, so buiding this custom house at an altitude of 150 feet above sea level was a complete waste of money.

Oh wait are you refering to his 70's biorhythm charting???

Or the fact that he warns runners that he's probably going to injure them if they train with him. ( see Galen Rupp's UofO history)

And bottom line, all the Nike money in coaching, buying up in sponsorship this country's best athletes, he as well as every other company program in this country can't do it....

And if Salazar can't do it since he was the last Caucasian runner to win Boston, he surely isn't going to let someone who actually studies the alternate running technique they use prove it...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I was quoting

10% - Used Chi Method

Within seconds of crossing the finish line at my last race, a guy introduces himself with "I thought I was the worst trail runner, but you are the worst I have ever seen."  He dives into something about lifting my feet.  Then, he goes "Have you ever heard of Chi Running?" I said, "Umm, I think maybe," then went and got myself a PB & J. 

I only fell once and I landed on both hands, Charlie Hustle style, so WHATEVER. 

I apologize it was naderalfie's quote. 

Back in 2003, a Japanese sprinter won the bronze medal in 200m at Paris World Champions.  He and his coach employed the antient ninja running technique called "Nam-ba" technique.  Basically, the idea is to minimize the torque at the torso in order to minimize the inefficiency of running technique so he wouldn't slow down in the final stage of 200m dash.  There are some similarities to what SJ is talking about here.  I, in general, consider myself with open mind and am usually willing to look into various things--just as Salazar is usually.  There's a martial art master in Japan by the name of Takaoka (forgot his first name) and he's been preaching this training technique; he claims he had coached this college women's basketball team and eliminated entire weight training regime and their performance improved dramatically.  His thing is "run like a dolphin...or like one of those running lizzard".  Again, he talks a lot about efficienty, eliminating waste of motion/energy.  All that being said and done, however, for one reason and purpose only--to perform well in running events.  Running is probably one of the most clear-cut event; you run from point A to point B and see who gets there fastest.  There's no such event like "who's got the highest VO2Max" or "who runs fastest with the lowest amount of VO2Max" or "who runs marathon fastest after fasting for 3 days."  We all get to the start line at the same time and, boom, you take off and see who gets to the finish line first.  And that is the rule.

I was actually a bit surprised why one of the most gentle persons I know (at least as far as I know) like Spaniel is being so vocal here...and we're not even dealing with Richard!!  But now I can see that.  Without reading the entire thread--which, after digressing, it has become rather tiresome to read--therefore not quite knowing exactly what the hell is going on, it seems to me that Srlopez simply proposed who gets the 100 mile race first; him or acclaimed barefoot guru who supposedly runs so efficiently that he wouldn't even sweat (so it seems).  So, to me, as an outsider, as a third person, SJ is twisting this "rule" thing so far off that his acclaimed "equalizing method" is simply, as he himself had stated somewhere, twisting the "rules" in such way that he would win regardless.  I don't think Srlopes is interested in participating some sort of energy expenditure study or how well or poorly you would perform is you don't eat or drink for 3 days or whatever.  I thought, for whatever you have tried to twist your point in the later stage, the point was whether your method of "training", including barefoot running, produce better results in running or not.  And, in running, a simple rule is to show up at the start and see who gets to the finish line first; PERIOD.  No fasting, no body sizing, no shaving legs or whatever.  I don't think anybody cares about those mumbo-jumbo parts.  It is like Richard; he claims his "method" produces better results when he can't provide any result except for his own 30-year-old 30-minute 5k performance.  I'm not sure, and not too many people here would understand either, what his "world fastest slow guy" really means.  You may be the world fastest barefoot-fasting-3-days-prior-body-size-adjusted runner; but I don't think too many people care about that on here simply because that doesn't mean anything.

But, again, that aside, what he had said actually does make some sense and something worth looking into.  There was this Chinese girl who used to run with her arms pointing straight down without any swinging action.  She did alright but, I remember, she was in the final of 10000m in the world championships or something and, when it came to the final sprint, she was swinging her arms like crazy.  Well, was she simply conserving energy until that point; or is it really a better way to run--if the latter, then why she switched her form when it counts most?  And, for Jester, if you haven't studied anything about Nam-ba running technique, it is probably something you should look into; quite fascinating.  The basic technique, actually, is to swing your right arm forward as your right foot comes front...and the left....  They say that's the way ninja ran hundreds of miles overnight.  Even more interestingly, you lean into one side (say, right side) and, as you get tired, you switch the side!  Well, again, if I see some Kenyan or Ethiopian running 2:05 or 2:04 marathon, emplying this technique, I would really look into it.  But meanwhile, it may actually help someone marching (however slowly it may be) for 72 hours.

I never made the statement in any PM

If I'm going to do this, I want it to be as equal as possible with equal energy amounts available to both of us in a controlled environment. If I did it, it would be to write an article or publish a study about it. I don't have any ego to validate. I train runners, military personnel, and now an entire football team.

I have no ego that needs validation.

My interest is to see who could accomplish the 100 miles first, or who could travel the furthest on the same amount of energy. And if you won, I'd be more than willing to give props for doing it.

You've obviously never run 100 miles, funny thing is that a fair amount of people in this thread have.

It should come as little surprise to anyone that it is really really hard to run 100 miles - to finish it at all no matter how much you want to keep going. For most people the energy expenditure is not high on the reasons they have to stop. Many other things get in the way first.

SRlopez and a bunch of other people in this thread have very good knowledge of all the things you need to do to go 100 miles. They've demonstrated it. Your choice of words suggests that you have no such experience.

Reality is that 70% of runners injure themselves. Running in one study is the second most common sport (behind basketball) for emergency room visits. My joke with clients is to ask that if an airplance design crashed 70% of the time would you fly in it? Of course not, but that's the risk rate your sport has when you put on your shoes to go out the door. 

I don't think this really means 70% of runners are injured all the time.  I can see, and probably agree, that 70% of runner's injuries are caused by poor technique.  I don't think you can claim that most runners are wearing shoes and 70% of them are injured and, therefore, wearing shoes is a bad idea.  That's a bit of a twist.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

When I called the head of sports research of evey major shoe company, Adidas, Nike, Fila, Reebok, and the like I asked them all if they believed Kenyans were better runners because they train barefoot. All of them agreed.

So I asked them if it would be more logical to assert that barefoot runners aren't faster than we are, but that Caucasian runners are slower because we wear shoes. Every single one of them hung up on me immediately....

Nike's biomechanic was the only one to ask me to continue a discussion after my question. And that lead to my being invited into their lab.

I don't blame shoes individually, but the combination of both unnatural footwear design, and fact that we are forced to walk and run on concrete, which is far more unnatural than walking and running on soft soil. Its the combination of the two which combine to create our injury risk rates.

My goal was to further study their unnatural interaction and try to create a safer running technique for concrete.

northernman

Fight The Future

But, again, that aside, what he had said actually does make some sense and something worth looking into.  There was this Chinese girl who used to run with her arms pointing straight down without any swinging action.  She did alright but, I remember, she was in the final of 10000m in the world championships or something and, when it came to the final sprint, she was swinging her arms like crazy.  Well, was she simply conserving energy until that point; or is it really a better way to run--if the latter, then why she switched her form 

Hey, that reminds me of this! (From "The Summer of George")

Elaine: Would you just keep an eye out for this woman. She's about ye high and eh, she doesn't swing her arms when she walks. 

Cop#1: What do you mean? 

Elaine: Like this...[imitates the walk with her arms hanging.] 

[Raquel Welch comes towards her.] 

Raquel: What the hell is that? Are you making fun of my dancing? 

Elaine: Aren't you Raquel Welch? 

Raquel: You know who I am. Now, what are you doing? 

Elaine: Nothing, I wasn't just moving my arms... 

Raquel: That's it, you are going down. 

Cop#1: Ooh, cat fight.