Personal proof that running easy works (Read 1419 times)

As I comiled my data from last week, it struck me what a nice trend I have going on lately. I've been running nothing but easy miles, stretching out my time and mileage conservatively, and running at a consistent, relatively low (higher than MAF) targeted HR on every run. I know it's often hard for new folks to believe that running lots of slow miles will really work, despite how many veterans tell them it's true. I used to be one of them, but here's my (most recent) own personal proof that it really works. May-June 2008 pace improvement This is average pace for the week (cumulative for all miles) plotted versus weeks. I'm certainly not burning up the roads, but I've dropped 30s per mile in the last 4 weeks by being consistent and doing what needs to be done. I plan on staying in this sort of base mode until the fall, when my local races pick up. I can't wait to see how badly I can destroy last years PRs!
    Brandon

Dave

Great job. I think you've hit on a fundamental truth for most beginning runners (and probably most advanced runners as well). Consistency is probably the most important factor in improving running times and pace. Once you've got that down and have built a good base, other factors like hill and speed work will make a bigger difference. Until you get a good base of mileage with consistent steady efforts, all those other things are just noise. Keep up the good work.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congrats on your improvement - that is great. Everyone should find that balance between getting in their mileage and enjoying it. That being said - easy miles will help to a point and then it will be hard to improve without varying your pace and effort. A wise running coach once told me - long slow runs will lead to long slow races. I agree that he was right. Some times there is no replacement for getting out there and pushing your body. Kevin
        Don't let the fat fool you .....
        kcam

Brandon - here's what I think. From a glance at your log I see that you've only done 'easy' miles - good. I think the chart shows you're still falling prey to the 'running the easy runs too fast syndrome' (you're running your easy runs faster and faster - this is not the goal). Make that chart look like a flat line at a pace that is easy for you (12:30?) and then run it out for 3 or 4 or 5 months at that pace. You will find that you can train and run longer distances and/or more often at that 12:30 pace after doing this. Also, any hard efforts you throw in (races or just hard training runs) WILL show a benefit to all those 'slow' miles. Good luck, keep up the good work and stay injury-free!
            campisi - I appreciate and understand your concern, and I would agree that many new runners fall into this trap. However, I have reigned in this tendency to run faster than I should by training with a HR monitor. I've used 160 as my upper HR limit since around December. This is above my MAF, but below the upper end of easy runs using an HRR method, so I'm solidly in the easy aerobic zone. That's why this improvement is exciting to me, because it's happened with a steady HR limit and actually a slightly declining average HR. Having said that, I just realized that lots of folks train exclusively by pace, without considering HR at all, which is a completely different approach. Do you perhaps fall into that camp? If so, does it make any difference to know that I'm still training at >3 minutes off my 5k pace? With all that in mind, is there still some benefit to be gained by training at a set slower pace for extended periods at a set lower pace?
            Brandon

Giant Flaming Dork

campisi - I appreciate and understand your concern, and I would agree that many new runners fall into this trap. ... Having said that, I just realized that lots of folks train exclusively by pace, without considering HR at all, which is a completely different approach. With all that in mind, is there still some benefit to be gained by training at a set slower pace for extended periods at a set lower pace?
              You may want to listen to Ken. I started running again about 6 months ago. My "easy" training pace has been on a steady ramp down from a 11mm "easy" training pace to 9:15mm "easy" training pace. Like you, I have been using the HRM to ensure that I don't run too hard (144bpm max). Lately I have been experiencing some slight injuries that are not keeping me from running, but they are limiting my training. I have a feeling it's from over training by not limiting pace as well as effort (heart rate). Over the next few weeks, I am going to back off further from my pace (10:00mm) and see if the issues I'm having go away. If you need some real motivation about going slow - see willamona's training and race paces. Obviously my issues are just random data points, but something to consider.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Great job with the HR monitor...funny I should be reading this tonight, my 2nd night of using my new HRM. Despite the frustration with the SLOW pace I now have , I have faith that this will work very well for me. Everyone has their own goals and aspirations and if something out there works for you that's GREAT! Personally, I never even realized I was way over doing it until I actually ran with this monitor thing! I want to someday run a marathon, and probably an ultra, definitely a tri in the next couple of years (late blooming endurance addict)....but I had a poor aerobic base despite running and cross training ALOT......from what I've read (Pros and Cons of HRM training) the pros have it for my purposes anyway. Wink
                  You may want to listen to Ken. I started running again about 6 months ago. My "easy" training pace has been on a steady ramp down from a 11mm "easy" training pace to 9:15mm "easy" training pace. Like you, I have been using the HRM to ensure that I don't run too hard (144bpm max). Lately I have been experiencing some slight injuries that are not keeping me from running, but they are limiting my training. I have a feeling it's from over training by not limiting pace as well as effort (heart rate). Over the next few weeks, I am going to back off further from my pace (10:00mm) and see if the issues I'm having go away. If you need some real motivation about going slow - see willamona's training and race paces. Obviously my issues are just random data points, but something to consider.
                  Thanks for that. This is precisely why I asked the question at the end about there still being a benefit. I've still got a lot to learn. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
                  Brandon
                  kcam

campisi - I appreciate and understand your concern, and I would agree that many new runners fall into this trap. However, I have reigned in this tendency to run faster than I should by training with a HR monitor. I've used 160 as my upper HR limit since around December. This is above my MAF, but below the upper end of easy runs using an HRR method, so I'm solidly in the easy aerobic zone. That's why this improvement is exciting to me, because it's happened with a steady HR limit and actually a slightly declining average HR. Having said that, I just realized that lots of folks train exclusively by pace, without considering HR at all, which is a completely different approach. Do you perhaps fall into that camp? If so, does it make any difference to know that I'm still training at >3 minutes off my 5k pace? With all that in mind, is there still some benefit to be gained by training at a set slower pace for extended periods at a set lower pace?
                    I am a 'pace' guy (just because I've never owned an HRM) so I go by pace. And it does make a difference to know you're training at > 3minutes slower than your 5K pace - I can relate to pace! That seems adequately slow enough. Then I'd say just keep training, try to be more consistent with the amount of days you run even if that means running slower or shorter. Don't push too hard and be careful of trying to continue improving at the same rate!
                      I am a 'pace' guy (just because I've never owned an HRM) so I go by pace. And it does make a difference to know you're training at > 3minutes slower than your 5K pace - I can relate to pace! That seems adequately slow enough. Then I'd say just keep training, try to be more consistent with the amount of days you run even if that means running slower or shorter. Don't push too hard and be careful of trying to continue improving at the same rate!
                      Thanks for the response. I will definitely keep in mind the need to keep it honestly easy. Running too fast too often is definitely a trap that's easy to fall into.
                      Brandon
                        Congratulations. My experience wasn't as successful as yours, I was doing only easy miles from November to January and lost speed, so next time I'm in between training periods, I'll be including at least some strides or fartlek to keep the leg speed up.
                          ...I'm certainly not burning up the roads, but I've dropped 30s per mile in the last 4 weeks by being consistent and doing what needs to be done...
                          From my experience, training at the right HR can make a big difference. I started LHR training in mid-February after a few months pretty much off. My target HR I determined from a VO2 test from last Fall, finding the "inflection point" in the RER vs HR curve. This HR is about 7 or 8 bpm below the training HR I used last spring/summer, which seemed right at the time. I checked my pace at target HR in mid-Feb. Three weeks later it had gone down by 30 sec/mile. Three weeks after that it had gone down another 25 sec/mile. Three weeks later, another 15 (maybe 20) sec/mile. All this time I was increasing my mpw, and was not getting injured. While I sometimes had to take short walk breaks in the first few weeks, within 2 months I was running (easy) for 3 hours with the HR essentially staying constant. I also found that running at target HR - 10 bpm I was going the same pace that I'd started at, just with the HR 10 bpm lower. Four months after starting this program (couple weeks ago) I did a local Half Marathon, which I'd also done last year. I didn't expect too much. Dinner the night before was not as good as last year, I got less sleep, and the weather wasn't as good for me this year either. So I started easy and slowly let the HR go up above my training HR. Felt fine, and kept feeling better. Just felt good and strong the whole time, passed folks in the last mile, and especially the last 200m, where the HR got up to Training HR + 25 bpm. Bottom line - beat last year's time by 21 minutes, with a pretty good negative split (last half about 1:30 min/mile faster than first half.) Seems to work for me. I have a hunch that part of the reason is that one can run easy without injuries and put in more nice easy miles to build up a good aerobic base. I'm still not up to the mpw I want, but it'll just take a little time to get there. It sure is nice to just run easy and enjoy it and then get a bonus of faster "races" too (I don't do "races" hard, just medium effort...) Take it easy, and enjoy the running - Gino

Prince of Fatness

Congratulations. My experience wasn't as successful as yours, I was doing only easy miles from November to January and lost speed, so next time I'm in between training periods, I'll be including at least some strides or fartlek to keep the leg speed up.
                            Did you keep your mileage up, too? I ran easy all last winter but kept my mileage up, and my race times have gone down. Notice I didn't say I got faster. Running easy and longer has not made me faster, but it has allowed me to hold a fast pace much longer.

Not at it at all. 

Did you keep your mileage up, too? I ran easy all last winter but kept my mileage up, and my race times have gone down. Notice I didn't say I got faster. Running easy and longer has not made me faster, but it has allowed me to hold a fast pace much longer.
                              I've noticed that as well. My easy pace has been steady from the winter up to our 90+ degree weather now (which I consider improvement because my pace hasn't declined with the hot weather) but the biggest difference I've seen is in medium effort runs such as 10k's. I'm able to hold my pace much better than last year and actually PR'd at a 10k by 1:30 compared to the same race last year. I can also hold faster paces at lower HR's. Yesterday I did a 5 mile run with a friend, HR monitor alarm was off, we ended up averaging a 12:33 pace and my AHR was 159. When I first started all of this an average HR of 159 would yeild me about a 14:30 pace. Last year a 12:33 pace would have put me somewhere in the high 170's if not the 180's.
                              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                                It doesn't take much speedwork to improve the anaerobic engine. (AT, etc) The aerobic engine is another beast altogether. Running too hard too often is much more problematic (injuries, loss of aerobic endurance) than running miles on the "easy" side with a bit of speedwork here and there. However, we are all an experiment of one. I'll stick to a higher volume of "easy" miles with speedwork sprinkled in rather than hammering training runs. I have friends who can barely break 4:10 in a marathon and yet complain about how hard it is to run a 10:15 long run pace. They train too hard and erode their aerobic base. So they crash and burn in the marathon. Check out some profiles on these boards. Numerous people have a marathon or even half marathon PR pace that is slower or about the same as their every day training pace. Their pacing is clearly out of whack. My HRM doesn't lie to me. You can't trick your heart. It tells you how hard you are working at a given pace. At 70% of my max HR one day I might be running a 9:30+ pace, and another day I might be running sub 8:15. Hills, temperature, stress...it all adds up. I could do without the HRM now...I've logged almost 5K miles with one in the past 23 months. However, had I not used one when I first started running, I'm skeptical I would be where I am today with my running. Noteye...keep up the good work. Be patient during the hot summer months, and once fall comes around you will really see paces drop. Smile