Increasing long runs (Read 231 times)

Just getting back into a consistent schedule of training and have been running 3-5 days a week for the past 11 weeks.  Have increased my mileage from 15 miles up to the 37 that I'll hit this week...and making sure I take days off when I need it to avoid any injuries.  Along the way I've been increasing my long run...adding a mile to it a week early on until I hit a 12 miler on week 6.  Dialed back for a couple of weeks and then did a 16 miler on week 9.  Then bumped up to 19.5 this week 11.

Pretty happy with my jump to longer long runs considering I was a mile/800 guy in college and my longest run previous to this training cycle was a half marathon I did back in '99.  Will be fun to keep inching up the long run distance over the next few months....

Feeling the growl again

I'm curious what your training goal is?  Your long run is now making up about half of your weekly mileage.  Unless you have a marathon imminent, you may want to consider holding it at 14-16 miles while you build up distance/workouts elsewhere in your weekly schedule.  Personally I don't bother running >16 miles unless I have a marathon or ultra coming up within a reasonable timeframe.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What would you suggest for the longest long run 5-6 weeks out from a half?   I'm toying with a 13, which would be half my (recent) weekly mileage and take ~2:36.  Goal for the race is 2:10, so the 11 I did last week (~2:12) covered the predicted time on feet.  I'm a bit obsessed with covering the distance, even though another 11 would probably be fine.

And really, my training has been so inconsistent it's all meaningless, but I'd still like some opinions.

Thanks

I'm curious what your training goal is?  Your long run is now making up about half of your weekly mileage.  Unless you have a marathon imminent, you may want to consider holding it at 14-16 miles while you build up distance/workouts elsewhere in your weekly schedule.  Personally I don't bother running >16 miles unless I have a marathon or ultra coming up within a reasonable timeframe.

Feeling the growl again

What would you suggest for the longest long run 5-6 weeks out from a half?   I'm toying with a 13, which would be half my (recent) weekly mileage and take ~2:36.  Goal for the race is 2:10, so the 11 I did last week (~2:12) covered the predicted time on feet.  I'm a bit obsessed with covering the distance, even though another 11 would probably be fine.

And really, my training has been so inconsistent it's all meaningless, but I'd still like some opinions.

Thanks

Harder to say without seeing your log.  Given that it would take you ~2:36, I would say 13 at the longest.  There would be nothing wrong with 11 either.  5-6 weeks out is plenty to do the 13 if you want.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

an amazing likeness

Thanks

2 hours, and let the distance be whatever it comes out to be.  With 5-6 weeks to go, you can comfortably do this workout twice.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

2 hours, and let the distance be whatever it comes out to be.  With 5-6 weeks to go, you can comfortably do this workout twice.

2 hours is my max for half training too. (I did 12 milers twice before my first half in 2010, but I don't anymore.) The long run is just one part of training; you don't have to cover the distance to be ready. I understand that now, but I didn't really get it before my first half.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

2 hours is my max for half training too. (I did 12 milers twice before my first half in 2010, but I don't anymore.) The long run is just one part of training; you don't have to cover the distance to be ready. I understand that now, but I didn't really get it before my first half.

Thank you's to Spaniel, MT & Meg.  You have confirmed what I already knew but was trying to weasel out of.  11 is plenty.

Back to our originally scheduled wait for additional info from Indy Guy.

Totally understand.  To be honest, I am toying around with the idea of going out and running 26.2 sometime in November, but not necessarily in a race...these long runs were my way of inching up there to satisfy my curiosity and see if my body would handle the increased distance.  I'm thinking I may just go out and do a solo effort in a couple months at the full distance...

I negative split the second half of the 16 miler and ended up with a 6:51 overall average and then took it easier on the 19 miler finishing it with a 6:58 overall average.

To put this in perspective, I was a 3:51 (1500); 1:52 (800) guy in college way back in the mid-late 90s.  Ran my half marathon in 1:12 something in '99 but then moved over to cycling as my primary way of keeping fitness and haven't done any consistent running training for the past few years, but have run periodically every now and then.

So you are right - I'll probably dial back the long run and work towards increasing my mileage a bit as well as my workouts over the coming weeks.  I also started a tradition of running a mile on the track on my birthday every year and that is coming up later this week, so that will be another fitness litmus test - although not one that relates to the long distance stuff.

Feeling the growl again

Totally understand.  To be honest, I am toying around with the idea of going out and running 26.2 sometime in November, but not necessarily in a race...these long runs were my way of inching up there to satisfy my curiosity and see if my body would handle the increased distance.  I'm thinking I may just go out and do a solo effort in a couple months at the full distance...

I negative split the second half of the 16 miler and ended up with a 6:51 overall average and then took it easier on the 19 miler finishing it with a 6:58 overall average.

To put this in perspective, I was a 3:51 (1500); 1:52 (800) guy in college way back in the mid-late 90s.  Ran my half marathon in 1:12 something in '99 but then moved over to cycling as my primary way of keeping fitness and haven't done any consistent running training for the past few years, but have run periodically every now and then.

So you are right - I'll probably dial back the long run and work towards increasing my mileage a bit as well as my workouts over the coming weeks.  I also started a tradition of running a mile on the track on my birthday every year and that is coming up later this week, so that will be another fitness litmus test - although not one that relates to the long distance stuff.

Yeah....this is why context (and an open log!) is very helpful.  I never had the mid-distance wheels you did but I am hoping a 1:12 half is not too far off from reaching again.

Judging from your screen name, if it means what it appears to mean, you should come run with us.  I can look out my window and see Lucas Oil Stadium right now.

Yeah....this is why context (and an open log!) is very helpful.  I never had the mid-distance wheels you did but I am hoping a 1:12 half is not too far off from reaching again.

Judging from your screen name, if it means what it appears to mean, you should come run with us.  I can look out my window and see Lucas Oil Stadium right now.

You got it - live up in Nora and do most of my runs up here on the northside...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The important question is can you make it out to Sun King next Thursday at noon to pick us up some Whip Fight when it's released?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

The important question is can you make it out to Sun King next Thursday at noon to pick us up some Whip Fight when it's released?

+1!

Feeling the growl again

You got it - live up in Nora and do most of my runs up here on the northside...

I'll drop you a PM next time we're all doing something together.  I hope you like beer.  WhoDat is already trying to enlist your services I see.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Normally the answer would be yes, but my work schedule next week is a bit different and I can't do it on 9/18.  Bummer!