Celiac Disease (Read 908 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My grandmother has been diagnosed with celiac disease. It took so long for her to diagnose that it is very advanced and they think she might have cancer as a result of the lack of treatment (her doctor had diagnosed as acid reflux Angry ) Does anyone else have this? Any recommended foods? Her doctor recommended that all blood relatives get tested, so my mom has asked that I do so whenever I get blood drawn again, although I understand the chances of relatives having it aren't good. However, they'd rather find it on an asymptomatic person than someone like my grandmother who has been absolutely miserable sick.

TRUST THE PROCESS

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Hello! Sorry to hear about your grandmother's complications. A few tips, but feel free to contact me offline if you need more help. (clvanacore at gmail .com) 1. go to celiaccentral.org and download their survival guide. It makes navigating the "what can I eat" process easier. http://www.celiaccentral.org/What_is_Celiac_/Celiac_Survival_Guide/416/ 2. Go through her cabinets and GET RID of anything that has gluten. Having it around leads to temptation as well as cross contamination. Donate the food to a soup kitchen or the like. 3. Start out with simple recipes that she can make gluten free and let your body heal. Over time, go more exotic on the flavors and spicings she uses. 4. Don't have her eat out for a while. It's very difficult to navigate for a while, and buy focusing on making foods at home she is learning what can be dangerous when you go out. 5. Ask questions of a forum. I like the celiac support yahoo group. Everyone is usually very helpful. Hope this helps! Chris

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, do have yourself checked too. Celiac disease is underdiagnosed and reasonably common. It can be lowly symptomatic. There are several blood tests. Discuss these with your doctor. You may need more than one test run. That said, if you do not have celiac disease, there is no need for you to eliminate gluten for your diet.
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Yes, do have yourself checked too. Celiac disease is underdiagnosed and reasonably common. It can be lowly symptomatic. There are several blood tests. Discuss these with your doctor. You may need more than one test run. That said, if you do not have celiac disease, there is no need for you to eliminate gluten for your diet.
          Well said. On Trent's point, if you are planning to get tested, DO NOT STOP EATING GLUTEN. It can completely eff up the results.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

4 Feet Running is a podcast I subscribe to. Nic, two of the four feet running, has this and talked about it the past couple months. She cut out gluten and if I remember correctly, this has helped her. I found it on itunes if anyone is interested.
            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wow, thank you so much, everyone. CeliacChris, I mentioned you to my mom in conversation when she dropped the news and thought you might have some advice. Trent, I also told my mom that you were the resident doctor and that you'd surely have some ideas. It is funny that you two were my first responses. I do plan to get tested - not only because her doctor advised - but because my grandpa mentioned it at least five times while talking to my mom. Since I have some autoimmune issues anyway, my mom said she especially wants me to be tested. She had also told me to keep eating my regular diet because if I don't have gluten in my system that the test will be of little to no value. Since my grandparents aren't on the internet, I'm going to email your responses to my mom so she can print them and help out. We are planning on throwing out nearly everything in their kitchen so grandma can start over. Mom is already looking at trying some gluten-free recipes to try and share with the grandparents so that they have somewhere to start. We are also already looking at gluten-free meals for the next family dinner. My grandparents, like many of yours I'm guessing, are pretty set in their ways so this is very intimidating. I guess for the last 50 years grandma has started her day with one cup of coffee and two pieces of toast. Well, on Saturday they started with coffee and an omlet, but it just wasn't the same! But they are tough and can do it. Today I believe they are checking her bone densities. She already has osteoporosis (a family trait) and they think the lack of nutrients may have exacerbated this. The biggest issue now is that the doctors are concerned that the level of damage done, which is pretty intense as it went misdiagnosed, could result in cancer in her intestines. If we can get through that test, we can get through anything! My grandparents have been some of the most healthy and active people we know, so to watch grandma waste away has been really hard. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your advice and know it will be used.

TRUST THE PROCESS

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

No problem--its nice to be able to help people the way I was helped when I first was diagnosed and discovered my celiac father had no idea what he was doing. It is hard to change, but she'll be feeling great soon. I'll keep her in my thoughts as they do the cancer testing. A few other things that may help her: 1. Don't try the pre-made breads. If you are used to toast, you'll be miserable. After 2 years on the diet, I'm adjusting, but someone I teach band with (also celiac) recommended buying a breadmaker and making it--it comes out much better according to her. 2. That being siad, a lot of the "gluten free" versions of favorite foods actually come out very close to real foods, and can be bought at your grocery store or a health foods store. I love Bob's red mill gluten free flour (as long as she does not have a peanut allergy--it contains garbanzo, which can cause a cross sensitivity). I use it like normal flour in recipes and usually have to add an extra tablespoon or so per cup, and things come out great. For cake mixes, look for the GLUTEN FREE cherrybrook farms brand (they have nut free as well, so the boxes are easily confused). Whole foods brand is pretty good as well. I order my muffins, cinnamon rolls, donuts, and other treats from a canadian website: http://kinnikinnick.com/ They ship to the US and Canada, and the foods are great. Keep an eye out for gluten free pizza, we have 3 places where I live that serve it. For beer (if she drinks), redbridge is my favorite gluten free version. Woodchuck cider is also great. Pasta: I'm italian, so this was the worst transition, and I often make mine from scratch. Tinkyada is one of the better "rice" pastas, but use the "soak method", where you boil the pasta for 5 mins or so, then turn off and let it soak for another 20 in the hot water. You get a more al dente flavor rather than mush. I prefer corn elbows for mac n' cheese, and quinoa pasta is good, albeit a bit heavy. Yoplait yogurt and stonyfield farms yogurts are gluten free. Hope these recommendations help. Most of the time I stick with proteins, veggies, and other starches, but it is nice to have a "normal person" treat once in a while.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

dork.major dork.

My SIL has celiac disease too. We LOVE pamelas http://www.pamelasproducts.com/ They make the **BEST** pancake mix that we also use for other cakes and things... can't tell the difference. For cracker type things, I like "NutThins". Good Luck!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Awesome! I'm sharing this info with my mom. This is a super help!

TRUST THE PROCESS

I'll second imogene's recommendation for Pamela's gluten-free flour products. I tried the Bob's red mill and was really turned off by the gram flour taste (gram=channa=garbanzo=chickpea) when used in breads and cookies. I LOVE chickpeas/channa, but not in my bread products. Some people may be more sensitive to the taste than others. Pamela's flour mix has a much more neutral flavor that I find is closer to wheat flour. Another suggestion, and this depends on your grandma's food preferences, but look into getting some good Indian cookbooks. For people who don't like spicy food, it's easy to cut down on the chili's, red pepper and create mild versions of the dishes. There are lots of good Indian recipes that are gluten-free, but are based on lentils. I've found that lentils give me a similar sense of satisfaction to the one that I get from eating wheat flour products like pasta. Many Indian fried dishes use a breading of channa/gram flour that is really tasty and perfectly replaces wheat flour breading. It's something to play around with.
                      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                      mlm

I am not a celiac but strive for gluten free. Strive is the key word. I admit I don't watch every morsel like celiacs must. But I try to!! I got Gluten Free for Dummies from the library. Very helpful. They say there are 250 symptoms gluten can cause. Gluten for me leads to emotional issues. I can see depression signs in less than 24 hours after consuming a healthy plate of it. For my husband, he gets dizzy spells that are relentless. So... I have several Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks but my favorite is Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. The bread in there is better than the GF Gourmet's (imo). Also agree with the recommendation of kinnikinnick. Yummy pizza crust there! Kinnikinnick is in our local grocery store - a few items. Frozen foods section. With the pizza (and K's burger/dog buns too, I think), pop the crust in the mic for15 sec first before you do anything else to it. Makes a huge difference.
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Why would you avoid gluten if you don't have celiac? Confused
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why would you avoid gluten if you don't have celiac? Confused
                            +1
                            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My test came back clean as a whistle, no celiac for me. Thank GOD! I wouldn't want to go on a gluten free diet - I loves me my breads and cereals! Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, great news, Kerry! What a huge relief for you.