The Bible on The History Channel (Read 414 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Anyone watching?

Caught the re-broadcast last night.  Not bad - a little cheesy, but not nearly as much so as most other film versions of Biblical events I've seen.

The depiction of God's angels as sort of armored Romanesque samurai monks was a plus.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

#artbydmcbride

I didn't see it, but I heard the production values were amazing!

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I didn't see it, but I heard the production values were amazing!

Eh...for a History Channel miniseries, sure!  Not going to hold up to anything...well, most things...in the theater, though.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

It's super cheesy, and since you already know what's going to happen next, we're having super fun doing kind of MST-3000 type commentary along with it. Very entertaining.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Running Rev'd

I don't have the History Channel, but I follow a lot of other clergy on Twitter, and they had a lot of hilariously snarky things to say about it. I do love the idea of ninja angels though.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

FSBD

I agree with the cheesy comment.

The whole Asian angel going all martial arts on the people of Sodom was just silly.

I'll probably keep watching though to be honest.  I grew up in a Catholic household and my wife grew up with no exposure to religion at all so it is a good opportunity to point out and explain things to her.  Such as 'This is where the whole Arab-Israeli conflict started, and why it will never be resolved."

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Wing

Joggaholic

The whole Asian angel going all martial arts on the people of Sodom was just silly.

I have not watched it, but I have the image of the Power Rangers in my head as I read your description...

I watched and thought it was good.....I'll continue watching.

Champions are made when no one is watching

My 9 year old son got scared after watching Cain murder Abel and seeing all of the blood.  Seeing the blood in the first 10 minutes put an end to the education attempt.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I thought it was COOL, reminded me of Jedi Knights........Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

That happened to be the one segment I have seen. It cracked me up.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Well, since we are on the subject, I have one question that has stayed with me as I have grown up.  What I was taught when young by my parents now conflicts greatly with my current beliefs.   --(The question concerns Noah's ark, and 'assuming' that what the bible says about Noah's ark is true).

How is it that the worst event to ever occur on the planet earth (destruction of all mankind, including pregnant women, children, infants, in a horrible 40-day flood), can be somehow made into a pretty and positive children's book?

How do people that believe the Noah's Ark writings to be true take all that horror and turn it into a pastel colored book and a positive message for children?  That one item alone really gets my goat.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Well, since we are on the subject, I have one question that has stayed with me as I have grown up and what I was taught when young now conflicts greatly with how I am now.  (The question concerns Noah's ark, and 'assuming' that what the bible says about Noah's ark is true).

How is it that the worst event to ever occur on the planet earth (destruction of all mankind, including pregnant women, children, infants, in a horrible 40-day flood), can be somehow made into a pretty and positive children's book? 

How do people that believe the Noah's Ark writings to be true take all that horror and turn it into a pastel book and a positive message for children?  That one item alone really gets my goat. Smile

It's really not that hard understand, but you won't believe it if you won't believe the authenticity of the Bible.  God made a perfect world in every respect  (remember after every day of creation, God said "it was good!), and all of man except for Noah and his family stopped obeying him. God gave man plenty of chances to "clean up their act" but they refused. Essentially, the world was one evil wretch.  The flood was basically God's reset switch for the world, and afterwords He promised to never do it again. That promise is the rainbow.

But, that's not the whole story. God still can not stand the evil of this world. And we'd all be doomed to eternity in Hell if it weren't for Jesus. He paid the price for our sins/evil, but first a person has to chose to believe in Him.

Dream Maker

nevermind.

It's really not that hard understand, but you won't believe it if you won't believe the authenticity of the Bible.  God made a perfect world in every respect  (remember after every day of creation, God said "it was good!), and all of man except for Noah and his family stopped obeying him. God gave man plenty of chances to "clean up their act" but they refused. Essentially, the world was one evil wretch.  The flood was basically God's reset switch for the world, and afterwords He promised to never do it again. Tha

But, that's not the whole story. God still can not stand the evil of this world. And we'd all be doomed to eternity in Hell if it weren't for Jesus. He paid the price for our sins/evil, but first a person has to chose to believe in Him.

Wing

Joggaholic

How do people that believe the Noah's Ark writings to be true take all that horror and turn it into a pastel colored book and a positive message for children?  That one item alone really gets my goat.

I once found The Little Match Girl presented as a bedtime story for toddlers (as part of a book of collection of children's stories). I like the story, just probably not for 2 or 3 year olds...