Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

bhearn

Bhearn, what happen to the last few weeks of your log? Some of us wannabe's need to see what you fast guys do in the last few weeks.
    Sorry, I'll upload it from my Garmin next week. Oddly enough I got off track with the log when the auto Garmin import came online, because I had to go and sort out which runs were already there. The daily ritual of manual entry went away, and that was that.
    bhearn

3 in 7 days - What does that make you?
      Five maniac stars (aka Ruthenium), because they're in three different states. If I can keep it going I'd like to go for 13 in 12 weeks, for 7 stars. Which is where I'm pretty sure I'll stay. http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/criteria.html
      DoppleBock

This weekend is like living in some sort of bizarro universe. I'm running two marathons, and srlopez is taking a week off!
        I think I could qualify at the biginning maniac level with a marathon and a 50 miler within 13 days, but to me Maniac status is a mindframe and I am not there ... yet. One of these years I will run the gambit in WI in the spring with: (Dates Based on this year) Milwaukee - Indoor (1/17) Trail Breaker 4/4 JailBreak 4/25 or Pineline 4/25 Kenosha 5/2 Lacrosse or Eau Claire 5/3 Lake Geneva or Eagle River 5/9 Green Bay 5/17 Mad City 5/24 I really wish 4/25 and 5/9 dates would go SAT / SUN - 8 in 5 weeks would be fun -

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

flovesparko

Five maniac stars (aka Ruthenium), because they're in three different states. If I can keep it going I'd like to go for 13 in 12 weeks, for 7 stars. Which is where I'm pretty sure I'll stay. http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/criteria.html
          And I thought Dean Karnazes was the only insane maniac. I may have to try for the bronze level some day.
            You want to qualify for NY, that's easy... turn 40. I hate to tell you, but the guaranteed entry deadline for NY is May 1.
            I know about the May 1st cutoff date, BUT you can actually still qualify at the Brooklyn Half Marathon which is on 5.30. You must have met the appropriate qualifying time between January 1, 2008, and May 1, 2009 (an exception will be made for runners wishing to use their time from the NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix Presented by Continental Airlines: Brooklyn in May, 2009) . Include the race name and date with your application. I will probably blow up big time trying for it, but what the heck, its not like I'm trying to break 3 hours or something.... 6:19.8/mile pace.... Ouch that's gonna hurt... McMillian says my marathon time converts to about 1:24:40...
              OK - all this recent boston talk has me excited for my sub 3 attempt in 30 days. question to you who have attempted a sub 3 (and yes, i know we've been thru this before, and yes i know, that everyone's answer will be different)..... how confident were you before the race that you could run a sub 3? what aspect of your training cycle, or preliminary race gave you that confidence? i'm very (most would say overly) analytical about running (well, everything to be honest) and have now got so many formulas, charts, trends etc. that i can now quite easily convince myself that i can absolutely definitely, or definitely not do just about anything. so i'm looking for a little input from others to help me sift thru my abundance of information..... thanks! alan
              - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
              kcam

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most confident, I was probably feeling about a 5. Coincidentally, I drive by the finish line of the marathon I was targeting evey day on the way to work. I'd pull up to the traffic light every morning and glance to the left at the finish line and get all apprehensive and think stuff like "Holy crap. You're gonna feel like shit when you're comin this way in 6weeks/5weeks/4weeks/3weeks/2weeks/next week/Sunday!" I may have psyched myself out. The workouts I'd done and racing benchmarks prior to my marathon indicated to me that I was capable of doing 3 hours. Just based on that I shoulda felt like an 8 but I'd blown up on so many marathons before that my confidence just wasn't great. Never mind what can happen with weather and other things you have no control over. I ran 2:59:08.
                bhearn

My Boston report is finally done. I scrapped the first two attempts. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/Post/224ef63db6a0415185aa1ce48e109aab#focus
                  how confident were you before the race that you could run a sub 3? what aspect of your training cycle, or preliminary race gave you that confidence?
                  Given the headwind at Boston, not all that confident. I was really tempted to bag the attempt and run an easy 3:20, and try again at Newport, 6 weeks later. Tune-up races and (mostly) successful speedwork convinced me I wasn't too far out. Also having run Boston 4 times before, I was confident in my pacing plan.
                    Even though it was a very long time ago, I still remember my first and I was not very confident. I ran well anyway, breaking 3 hours by quite a ways. The following I year I was extremely confident and ended up running 10 minutes slower on the same course under almost identical conditions. I went out way too fast. In the marathon I believe that having some doubts can be a good thing. It's that healthy fear that we've all heard about. What gives me the highest degree of confidence are: 1. Race times leading up to the marathon. Although there is no guarantee that a good time at 10k or half marathon will translate to a good one at the marathon, it is always good for a confidence boost and is a strong indication that our training is working. It is also highly unlikely that the we will meet our marathon goal if we don't have at least a couple good races at other distances during the weeks leading up to the big one. 2. Feeling good on training runs. While the race times have to be there, they aren't of much value if they've left me so beat up that I'm not feeling good on most of my training runs as the marathon draws closer. To be coming off a couple strong races and still feeling good during workouts is the ideal situation and is great for the confidence. The important thing at this point is to not let that confidence turn into cockiness or overconfidence. I could list "believing in my training" or "knowing I've put in the work", but they are pretty much a given if #'s 1 and 2 are there.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Are we there yet?

Question about splits??? To those of you on the graduates list... I am currently putting together a plan of the pace I want to run my marathon in a month @ Buffalo in order to go sub 3hr. I do not plan on a neg split however I love bhearn's flare for the dramatic approach. My first/PR marathon I split 1:27:20 > 1:39:38. Due to my low weekly mileage and rookie mistake of going out too fast I crashed on the second half. Last 10K of the race was 49:38 (8:01/mi) This time I was thinking to go out the same at about 1:27 (6:39/mi.) however because I have upped my weekly mileage then I feel I will be able to hold it together for a better 2nd half and at least come in @ 1:32:59 (7:06/mi), but if I'm feeling good then who knows? Is this proper thinking or should I try to run the whole thing @ 6:52/mi?? Please advise. Undecided
                        Well, my wife and I are back from Boston. Congrats to all on your fine races. We had a great time before and after the race. My wife got to run the 5k the day before and ran really well. Got to tour and visit the city and enjoyed that. Don't know what happened in the race but just didn't have it. On pace at 10k and close at the half but was working way too hard to hold the pace. It beat me this time but I'll be back. Ran a little 10k this morning and legs burned every step. Too bad I couldn't have done that a few days ago. Big grin

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

danworley

i'll join as a hopeful. chicago marathon in oct. ran phoenix in jan in 3:08. training hard but hurt my right hip so hopefully back at it soon. ran a 29:46 8k. in march.
                          kcam

Well, my wife and I are back from Boston. Congrats to all on your fine races. We had a great time before and after the race. My wife got to run the 5k the day before and ran really well. Got to tour and visit the city and enjoyed that. Don't know what happened in the race but just didn't have it. On pace at 10k and close at the half but was working way too hard to hold the pace. It beat me this time but I'll be back. Ran a little 10k this morning and legs burned every step. Too bad I couldn't have done that a few days ago. Big grin
                            ksrunr, I was tracking, and pulling for you, as well as the other RA people the whole way. Boston isn't an easy course to run fast. Recover and continue what you've been doing - I feel certain you are on the right path to get there. And congrats on a nice time!
                              Splits for a sub-3. I would tend to believe that about a +1 minute positive split is probably best. 1:29-1:30=2:59... I did 1:28:31-1:30:11 = 2:58:42... Without the Newton hills is probably would have be less + split.... About confidence questions.... I wasn't confident I was going to go sub-3 until...... The top of Heartbreak Hill... Going into Boston, did I think I would do it... Didn't have a clue... But I was like what the hell, my PR is 3:01:42 might as well go for it... At the end of the race, I couldn't really believe how well it went... I think it will give me more confidence to improve more... I've decided my goal is to get into 1st corral for Boston 2010.. Probably take a 2:54... Something to shoot for right...
                                Ks; I was tracking the race as well and figured something had gone wrong. I knew that you had been dealing with a nagging leg problem not long ago. All the numbers said you were in better shape than when you ran 3:06 at Hartford but the marathon is a strange beast. Keep on pluggin' and your day will come.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33