Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Flat footer, great result. Jim, Ken - great races in the half, you both looked very smooth from the glimpses I caught. And congratulations on the awards in a pretty competitive race.

Despite everyone's faith in me I must disappoint with a 3:11:31. I posted a few comments over on the Fall marathon Training thread. I'll post a race report later, which will probably be some form of post-mortem analysis!

I gave it my best shot. I went through the half in a perfect 1:30:03 but the smooth feeling only lasted another few miles. After that it was a slow decline.  I'm getting more and more proud of the fact I didn't quit though. I was hurting pretty bad through the final miles. There was some dry heaving at the end and then some not so dry heaving later.

Great course and weather though. I think you could run  a lot of marathons before getting such a flat course and such perfect weather.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
    DLJ

Great result flat footer! That is a fantastic run and congratulations on reaching the sub-3 hour mark

Jim and Ken - once again they are some unbelievable good runs. I don't know how you guys keep doing it

John, my commisserations - not for the result of course which is awesome for your first marathon but for not making the goal that you had anticipated. Hoping to see you continue on in your quest and provide ongoing motivation for the rest of us. Look forward to the race report but not really the agony bit - that sound disturbing a week out. Once again congratulations on completing the fist marathon and a magnificent time.

Dwane

A very tough race by the sound of it John, but a terrific effort to see it through in difficult circumstances, congratulations.  You certainly didn't leave anything out there effort wise, just some stomach contents to prove it!

A big well done to your wife as well, that' was an epic drive to get you both home.

Recover well and I'm sure you'll be back and flying!

John,

“…a 3:11 first marathon, a BQ by almost 20 minutes, 16th place overall and first in my age group.”

This says at all. Yeah, it would have been nice to run a sub-3 in your first try at age 45, but you’d be hard pressed to find many runners who’d be disappointed wth a time like this.

You’ve had a super year so far and I’m sure there are many more PR’s ahead for you.

Jim

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          flovesparko

Congratulations, flatfooter, on smashing through the barrier. Super job on the pacing. Did you change your handle from "flovesparko?" I couldn't find your name on "Hopefuls" but added you to Graduates list. 

Hey Jim, we are two different people.  You were right "flatfooter wasn't on the "hopefuls list". but He definintely gonna be on the "Graduates List" for producing a fantastic race.  

Great JOB  to both of you for great races this week!!!!!

flovesparko

Norrin_radd and Kencamet,  I just checked out your logs and you guys both had great races too.  Congrats!!!  you will get it next time Norrin_radd!
              flovesparko

JimHowe,  I can't believe I'm telling you this but you need to remove me from the "hopefuls list" because I graduated yesteday at Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon with a time of 2:55:55.  I just like to thank all the people on this thread that post with great running information, inspiring race results, and making your logs public.  All of it help me make this goal a reality.
                  JimHowe,  I can't believe I'm telling you this but you need to remove me from the "hopefuls list" because I graduated yesteday at Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon with a time of 2:55:55.  I just like to thank all the people on this thread that post with great running information, inspiring race results, and making your logs public.  All of it help me make this goal a reality.

Great stuff flavo!  You demolished 3:00!  I don't think there was any doubt given your performances in the build-up, you are on a huge roll!

Well done too flat footer.

Congrats, recent graduates flovesparko and Norin_Radd

Jim, please remove me from this week's Towpath Marathon list and place me on the Boston 2010 list.

My training has been decent but I've decided not to race 26.2 this fall and save it for Beantown. I have one sub-3 from Oct 2008, (2:58:16) and I'd like to aim for that next April.

I will be taking a crack at sub 1:23 at a local HM on Nov 1

Right on Hereford...

“…a 3:11 first marathon, a BQ by almost 20 minutes, 16th place overall and first in my age group.”

This says at all. Yeah, it would have been nice to run a sub-3 in your first try at age 45, but you’d be hard pressed to find many runners who’d be disappointed wth a time like this.

I completely agree! John, you ran an admirable first marathon. Not many people debut at 3:11, and far fewer do so at 45, I'll wager. This is a race that takes multiple tries to master, even for the elites, so I'm told. I understand your disappointment, but you have a lot to be proud of.

flovesparko, way to smash through that 3-hour barrier with authority! Sounds like you had a great race.

Jim, congrats on your 1:28 half marathon! You are on your way again. Good to see.

flovesparko - way to go!

John - AWESOME job!! What a debut... AG award and BQ! There's a lot of people out there very jealous of you!

Nice job on the debut John. Now you know what to expect for 26.2 floves, with you speed sub-3 was in the bag, nice job.

Dakota, are you ready? Now the pressures on us... Looks like we won't be able to use the weather excuse for any bad performances....

TMorin

Been lurking and log stalking here for a while and am trowing my hat in for 3hrs.

Six months ago I thought a BQ at 3:10 was a long shot but as the 200+ mile months went by the times kept falling and my last three races are predicting sub 3. I'll be doing Baystate in 2 weeks which is a decent course to try it on. Not sure if I've got it but I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Right on Hereford...

Dakota, are you ready? Now the pressures on us... Looks like we won't be able to use the weather excuse for any bad performances....

Yep, the pressure is on! I'm feeling pretty good, with minor worries about my achilles.

Ran 13.1 on the Creek Path yesterday. Planned to run it at normal easy/long pace. Just felt really good and ran 7:15 pace (1:35) and it still felt easy at the time. I know it was a bit fast, since I'm a little sore today. Also, my achilles let itself be known at mile 12. No actual pain, but yikes! I'm just scared that it will cause a DNF or something...

I like the weather forecast.

Hey, am I on your team?

Congrats, flatfooter.  Nice pacing and a great result!  Hey, I wouldn't mind seein the map of Lakefront -  make your map (of the race) public - looks like mile 24 had a bit of a elevation drop?  It was a fast mile.  Again, big congratulations on sub-3. 

Just made the course public.  Yes, it was around mile 23 when the elevation dropped significantly.  Overall, the elevation was very favorable to a fast race.  There were a few uphills, but didn't take a toll, and all the downhills were long enough to give the legs a break.