In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

Oh man, he has the same shoes as I do! I'm going to have to get new ones now. I feel violated somehow...
    Matt

2010 Races:
    March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
    May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
    June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
    June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
    September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
    September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
    bhearn

deleted

Skooter 3.0

so now everyone finally agrees: 1. Banditing is wrong no matter what size the race. 2. Pirating music is only wrong if the band isn't signed to a major record label.
        Head asplode! So YOU'RE why I've been losing money all these years!? -Def Leppard

Goals?

Why is it sideways?

Beware, batbear...

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

In my opinion, the issue is simple. I don't view it as one of "legality", but of flagrant disregard of race rules, which makes it an ethical issue. In order to participate in the event, most races require that one be registered, which establishes a participant's identity in case of an incapacitating accident or injury, usually requires paying an entry fee, and often includes signing a liability waiver. Hence, banditry is wrong simply because it is a conscious and deliberate violation of race rules, which constitutes an unethical act....like choosing to use headphones in races that prohibit their use, to mention another favorite (or hated) thread topic. Wink

Why is it sideways?

Jim, I was with you until you implied that the conscious and deliberate violation of rules is unethical. Solely the fact that a rule is consciously and deliberately broken does not make an act unethical (ask MLK, Ghandi, or Prefontaine for that matter). If the rule is unethical, the conscious and deliberate breaking of the rule is actually a highly ethical act. So, your argument needs one more step: you need to show that charging for a race is an ethical act. This is the place where everyone gets hung up on these threads, mainly because a race is a fairly frivolous and celebratory sort of event, one which seems to somehow function outside of the seriousness that is a quality of ethical questions. If you're still reading: here's my take. A race is a celebration of the running community and of the human body. That's it's spirit. It's not, at its heart, about profit. We contribute to the race because that's a way to be a part of the celebration. Not contributing and joining in the celebration is not unethical. It's just not reaping your full share of community life. Perhaps this is sad. But it's not an ethical violation.

What if everyone decided to bandit? There would be no race. No race = no celebration. Cry Cry Cry
                  Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. Go for a run.

Imminent Catastrophe

...A race is a celebration of the running community and of the human body. That's it's spirit. It's not, at its heart, about profit.
                      Except for Elite Racing events. It's OK to bandit those.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

MrH

If you're still reading: here's my take.
                        Just curious, what would your take be if he's not still reading?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

What if everyone decided to bandit? There would be no race. No race = no celebration. Cry Cry Cry
                          This is exactly why everyone doesn't decide to bandit. Slippery slope arguments assume a world without context. What if all race directors started charging exorbitant fees for the celebrations? And no one came! There would be no celebrations! Race fees = no celebration!
                            Race fees = no celebration!
                            crap... now i'm going to make sure i bandit some races. Its for the greater good of running society.

Why is it sideways?

crap... now i'm going to make sure i bandit some races. Its for the greater good of running society.
                              Since apparently people cannot make sense of anything on the internet I should state that my previous post--the slippery slope one is a mockery of sloch's argument.
                              MrH

I should state that my previous post is a mockery of sloch's argument.
                                And not an opinion that it's OK to bandit downhill races in wet conditions.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.