Looking for a Treadmill to Purchase for Home (Read 726 times)

Tri1on

Was wondering what type of treamill to purchase for home that will not break the bank and still withstand 5 to 10 miles of daily pounding.

Run the race God set B4U

I like my Nordic Track treadmill I purchased at the end of November.  There are so many models/brands to chose from, this brand seemed to stick out in my mind, I tried a few in the store and liked this one for the price.  Shop around and try them out is probably the best  Smile
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

bigkenny

I too have a NordicTrak. Had it about 5 years.

If you're not handy with fixing things, buy a service plan to go with your tmill whatever brand you buy.

I have had to replace the drive belt - the small belt that connects the motor to the treadbelt roller - several times. The belts aren't cheap - $37, but they are easy to replace once you get the hang of it. I found a similar, heavier duty belt at the local industrial supply shop that cost just $11. I have also had to replace the treadbelt board - the thick piece of particle board that you run on under the belt. This was a big job. It split down the middle one night while running on it. I'm a bigger runner though - 185lbs - and have given the thing quite a pounding through the years.

Waiting to replace the treadbelt as it is getting worn and has a rip or two along the edges. The electronics have been fine. The service department at NordicTrak is good. They have helped me several times when I have had to fix things on my mill. Overall I think it has been a good purchase.

When we were buying a treadmill (9 years ago) I read the reviews at TreadmillDoctor.com and I think Runners World.

We ended up buying a True treadmill b/c it was the quietest.

I have a Horizon CST 4.  It was on sale for about $1000 and I purchased in January 2005.

I've had to replace 2 decks and belts.   This cost 300-400.   The other night I heard a snap and a ping which resulted in no more inclines (one of the supports broke).  Recently also I am constantly adjusting the belt.  It goes to one side or the other pretty much every run when before I could go months without having to adjust.  I have taken care of it, except last year some dust from home renovations got in there and shorted out one of the circuit boards. 

It is a 2.25 HP treadmill and I weigh nearly 200 pounds.  From many accounts I need more horsepower and a thicker deck.  I put over 2000 miles on it in 5 years.  For lighter use this was a good treadmill, but probably not ideal for 200 pounds running 7 miles at 7:45 pace.

Right now I don't have the $$$ for another one so I joined my wife's gym which is less than a quarter mile from my work so I can do lunchtime runs and use theirs for $20/month. 

Hope this helps!

We purchased a mid priced Nordic Trak (against many people's advice - from SEARS) and really like it....I think its a NT 2640.........As i recall we spent around $800 and it took my son and i about 1 hr to put it together.....

It works just find and so far no problems........you do have to check them out because there are a variety of prices and models....you can by one for as little as $400 to $500 and can also spend as much as a few thousand so depending on your budget and needs, Im sure you can find one, but you do need to look around for a while...

Champions are made when no one is watching

thebbk

The Voice of Reason

Whichever treadmill you decide to get, the most important thing is to get a high quality unit.

People who spend a little less and think they will be ok with it usually end up not using it in a rather short period of time due to the fact that it feels junky. I have so many friends who have gone out and bought treadmills which could not endure the work load and they ended up not using them for very long.

I've had a near top of the line Life Fitness treadmill since 2000 and it has had almost daily use from my wife who runs almost all of her miles on the thing and I run on it when the weather is bad. We've had to replace the belt and the board under the belt once over all of these years.

Not sure where you live, but I got this one http://www.horizonfitness.com/products/treadmill/t1201.aspx at Dick's almost a year ago and am pleased with it.

A review: http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/models/horizon-t1201-treadmill.htm (Also a good site, along with Treadmilldoctor.com to check any of them out.)

Allegedly "lists" for like $2K. Was on "sale" for half that.

I'm pleased enough with it. I use the iPod docking station, but the speakers are kinda chintzy. Also, the HM palm monitors don't seem to work, but I don't use HM anyway.

That seems to be a lot of miles you intend to put on it though. I'm in the 150-160 pound range. I've done @15 miles no problem. Mostly use for shorter and weather-induced runs.

I wouldn't get less than a 2.5 hp motor.

MTA: Like others have said, research the hell out of them. Like mattresses, models seems to be exclusive to certain retailers. MSRP also a joke for most, I found.

lap

See prior discussion here.

One nice thing about the Bodyguards is their warranties.  Before buying, you should find out how the service works in case you need repairs.  I had repair guys at my house several times for the True I used to have and once for the Bodyguard.  Ideally, the repair people will be able to get to you without too much hassle.

happiejacquie

I got an Epic from Sam's Club last year for something like $1000.00 and I really love it.  It is very sturdy even when on very high incline.  It also has a television, an ipod dock, and a fan.  I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.   It is one of  my favorite things.   
                      Mariposai

I too had a Nordic track...I killed it

I loved it while it was still alive, but too many miles over a 3 years expand killed my buddy. I should have purchased that extended warranty .  Ohh well. Now I am obligated to run outside and just love it.

Good luck with your purchase. Do let us know what you got.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard