NB 1225 Feedback Sought (Or NB 1011 Alternatives) (Read 683 times)

I've been rockin' the New Balance 1011.  Despite having flat size 12 feet, I don't over-pronate too much, and I suspect I could go with one of the higher-stability shoes without incident.  I'd happily keep on running in the 1011s, but NB decided to new-n-improve them, I'm not hearing great things about the 1012, and I can't seem to find any more 1011s in my size.

So ... I'm looking at the 1225.  RunningWarehouse rates it as the "max" end of the stability spectrum, which sounds right for me.  But their ratings mean less to me than the experiences of my fake Internet friends at RA.  Anyone 1225 users here who can offer some feedback?  TIA

FWIW, I'm also looking at the Mizuno Alchemy.  I'd like to move away from the ponderous, highly-constraining super-motion-control models (e.g. Beast).  But there's no way I could go with something neutral without getting injured.  Barefoot-running acolytes, please don't launch tirades in this thread.  I'm begging you.

To the extent it's useful: I'm late-40s, 6'1", 178 pounds; strike more midfoot than rearfoot, strong toe-off (wear out the toe before the heel), typically wear out the shoe at the forefoot cushioning; training for a fall marathon, will probably peak at 50mpw or so.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hannibal Granite

I think we're very similar in feet.  I also have size 12 flat feet,  tend to wear out toes before heels, and usually wear shoes with a very moderate amount of stability.  You are a little bigger than me, but not by that much. 

All that said I've tried the NB 1225 and found them way way way to much shoe for me almost like wearing boxes on my feet.  If you want to stay with New Balance I've done well with the 769, it has some firmness and stability but has enough flexibility and seems a bit lighter as well.  I also like several in the Asics Line,  the 1140 for regular workouts and the DS Trainer for speedwork.  You could probably use the DS trainer for a racing shoe as well.   

"You NEED to do this" - Shara