Stupidest Race Mistake (Read 1581 times)

Set the alarm for 5:30 p.m. instead of AM. Got to race @26 mins late. It was a 50K, so they still let me run.
      Running CMM 2008. A week after a 102 mile week. Three weeks after a 42 mile run in an 89 mile week. During Passover. With no carb load. With no carbs on the course. And no sports drink. Constipated. With a load of laxative in me. With a cough. During hot and humid conditions.
      Worst mistake so far and you haven't even run the race yet... No I thought doctors were supposed to be smart?

A Saucy Wench

running Hood to Coast last year - but great memories.
        Now how can THAT be a "stupidest race mistake"? Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

1. First race, had read caffeine was suppose to make you fast. Drank a good mouth full of coke before the race. Burped the first two miles. 2. Another race, I was not paying attention to the announcements. I assumed the 10K started the same time as the 2 mile. Right before the gun goes off some guy tells me they don't, but I think he's wrong. The race starts, I freak out, and run back to make sure. Yup, they both start out at the same time. After kicking it in gear and passing a mass load of walkers & runners, I was fourth. Could have come close to winning it. STUPID. 3. Deep massage three days before marathon. 4. Race 10K one week before marathon. 5. Let my kids eat my planned breakfast before first marathon.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Worst mistake so far and you haven't even run the race yet... No I thought doctors were supposed to be smart?
            Naw, we just learn a trade like everybody else Wink And I'm going ahead and getting the predictions out there.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Trent has managed to shatter many long-held assumptions I've had about physicians.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Naw, we just learn a trade like everybody else Wink
                Why do you think they call what you do "practice"? Dumbest mistake I ever made: Not being near the start line of a 1600 on the track. Yeah, I missed that event. It sucked. Favorite race mistake story: My first road race (after my first season of cross country back in 7th grade) was the Manchester Road Race which gets about 10-12,000 runners every year. My friend and I line up where we expect to finish, the gun goes off, and he starts sprinting. Except with 6000 people in front of him, he didn't get very far before bumping off the person in front of us. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Right on Hereford...

Mine was at a triathlon. I barely survived the swim (Lake Tahoe in October, 50-degree water, massive surfable waves, me a beginning swimmer). I staggered into T1 30 minutes behind the leaders, dazed and barely cognizant. Put on my helmet, bike shoes, gloves, grabbed my bike and started running out of the transition area. That's when I realized I was STILL WEARING MY WETSUIT! Doh! Shocked
                    Unsure of my pace capabilities prior to the Portland Marathon, decided to just go for it and run an aggressive first half. 1st half: 1:58 2nd half: 2:23 I am more intelligent than this anecdote might imply.

A Saucy Wench

Unsure of my pace capabilities prior to the Portland Marathon, decided to just go for it and run an aggressive first half. 1st half: 1:58 2nd half: 2:23 I am more intelligent than this anecdote might imply.
                      We must have been running right next to each other the whole first 1/2 ...are you running it again? MTA I think mine was bringing MIL in to help with the kiddos for HTC last year. Instead of flying her in right before and having her stay the week after, we brought her in a week before . I am an insomniac who needs to be able to wander the house at night, I dont sleep well with houseguests. Especially ones who are on a different time zone and wake up just as I am drifting off. I got about 1-2 hours of sleep per night for 4 days before a 2 day sleepless race. Dead It was also my smartest move. Because my mom really wanted to fly in 4-5 days before my marathon for ds's 1st birthday and stay through the marathon. I learned from above and postponed his party until AFTER the marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Gah! Ennay, you're just two steps ahead of me in every race! OK, I'll run Eugene next weekend....and it looks like I'm not going to beat your marathon PR. But I will next fall, when I run Hartford. So watch your back, little girl! Evil grin And I'm a basket case when my MIL comes to town. HTC after a MIL visit sounds just insane!

Bugs

Trained 20 weeks for marathon, not missing a workout. Read countless books and articles. Prepared everything down to the finest detail. Donated blood 3 days before the race. Spent weeks wondering why my time was an hour slower than my goal.
                          Oh that is so sad.

Bugs

Imminent Catastrophe

Running CMM 2008. A week after a 102 mile week. Three weeks after a 42 mile run in an 89 mile week. During Passover. With no carb load. With no carbs on the course. And no sports drink. Constipated. With a load of laxative in me. With a cough. During hot and humid conditions.
                            So many things forbidden during Passover, but laxatives OK? No judgement, just wondering.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So many things forbidden during Passover, but laxatives OK? No judgement, just wondering.
                              Laxitives that do not include the forbidden items are okay. Magnesium Citrate, sadly, is okay.
                              protoplasm72

Not so bad. The 2007 Chicago marathon I had a 43 minute drop off in the second half. I was hurtin bad in that heat. I did not slow my pace enough for the heat and started cramping by mile 10.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson