Stupidest Race Mistake (Read 1581 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Apparently dnephin & I are "brothers from other mothers" ... Showed up for a 10:00 race at 9:15 only to find it started at 9:00 AM! RTW - Is that the Thanksgiving race in CT? I hope to run that this year - been hearing for several years how great it is!
    allout88

Yeah i probably though it would be easy to go out in 5:50, then run 5:20 and 5:00 in a 5k....doesn't work. High school was fun though....yeah so what i thought was gonna be sub 17 was 19:30...negative splits are hard lol
        Following 'that girl' pace on my first 10 mile race, I mean, men are normally faster than women, right? By mile #8 she left me behind and I had to struggle with the longest 2 miles of my life. Lesson of humility, I guess Roll eyes

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

This one's easy for me, first seven miles in 49 minutes, last six miles in 60 painful minutes. A Garmin would have made all the difference in the world for this one.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running CMM 2008. A week after a 102 mile week. Three weeks after a 42 mile run in an 89 mile week. During Passover. With no carb load. With no carbs on the course. And no sports drink. Constipated. With a load of laxative in me. With a cough. During hot and humid conditions.
            Confirmed.
              I decided to use one of those plastic tie-wrap thingies to secure my Champion Chip to my shoe during a large 5K. I had never used these before (always put the chip on my laces, but this time the chip came with this tie-wrap and instructions to use it) and didn't realize that there was a lot of slack left over on the plastic tie-wrap that I should have either cut or tucked in somewhere. The extra slack of tie-wrap ended up hitting the calf of my other leg on each stride. After about 5 minutes it felt like someone was whipping my leg with each step. Angry Actually, another tidbit from this same race.... There was a photographer that lined up right in front of the starting line - in the middle of the road. I started toward the middle to back of the pack, and as I approached the actual starting line I was looking ahead at the large amounts of runners that had started the race ahead of me. And then - CRASH! I ran right smack into the photographer. Roll eyes BTW - this race was 2 years ago and it's still my 5K PR Big grin So these mistakes didn't get in the way of a beautiful, crisp morning, a flat course and a great aerobic base after training for my first half marathon.
              PDoe

3. Deep massage three days before marathon. OK, I guess I'll show my lack of marathon running but why is this such a mistake?

My legs are killing me

At my first race I was given a timing chip. Not knowing what to do with it, I attached it to my bib. Needless to say my time was never recorded. duh.

Bugs

3. Deep massage three days before marathon. OK, I guess I'll show my lack of marathon running but why is this such a mistake?
                    My legs were sore and heavy the entire race. Learned a marathon is a long time to run when something doesn't feel good.

Bugs

Bugs

Following 'that girl' pace on my first 10 mile race, I mean, men are normally faster than women, right? By mile #8 she left me behind and I had to struggle with the longest 2 miles of my life. Lesson of humility, I guess Roll eyes
                      Oh that's funny. Thank God for fast women.

Bugs

protoplasm72

... Thank God for fast women.
                        Believe me I have Big grin

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Gig

Thank God for fast women, indeed! (Oh, c'mon. It was a lay up. By the way, have you read the thread about cup sizes?) I had a 10K race across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, a four-mile span. I showed up five minutes before the race, on the wrong side of the bridge. I've signed up almost every year since then and it gets canceled every time. Reading instructions? Bah!
                          BMenees

It's a tie for me. It was either starting the 2007 Flying Monkey Marathon injured or finishing the 2007 Flying Monkey Marathon even more injured. Tongue

The Terminator

This is a different kind of mistake, more along the lines of proper race behavior. I was doing a 5k, the course of which I was not familiar. The final stretch was a bike path, and we were packed in like sardines. I was running easily behind a big guy and couldn't see up ahead, so when I got a glimpse around him and saw that we were only a few yards shy of the finish line, I panicked! I darted around him for a finish line sprint, and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the person behind me whom I had abruptly cut off. It may not seem like a big deal, but I felt kind of crappy about tripping her up. Other mistakes include running races for which I was undertrained, not eating enough before the race, and not wearing sunscreen. Learning experiences!

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

JakeKnight

It's a tie for me. It was either starting the 2007 Flying Monkey Marathon injured or finishing the 2007 Flying Monkey Marathon even more injured. Tongue
                                Or just starting it. Period. That's usually a mistake.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------